Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Wouldn't it be sick if Betelgeuse explodes Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aula)
    To us, yes. To Betelgeuse, it could have already happened.
    There is no physical difference between it happening for us and for Betelgeuse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimkarsd)
    Why must I recommend anything, to men with assperger's?
    OK, you showed me up. I concede.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexLawrence1453)
    OK, you showed me up. I concede.
    Showed up, what? haha..look, pretty clear you have some agenda here, but cool. all i have said is pretty accurate but based on your "intelligent persona" apparently I'm not allowed to express it. hence why i think you're asperger's.

ReputationRep:
    Showed up, what? haha..look, pretty clear you have some agenda here, but cool. all i have said is pretty accurate but based on your "intelligent persona" apparently I'm not allowed to express it. hence why i think you're asperger's.
    I was taking the piss

ReputationRep:
    I was taking the piss
    you were? I wasn't really bothered, since i've already labelled you and have my opinion of you...but cool. i wasn't really invested in this conversation, only really mocking you for your weird comprehension skills.

ReputationRep:
    It would be stellar.

Name:  flat,1000x1000,075,f.u1.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  40.6 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Big_E)
    It would be stellar.

Name:  flat,1000x1000,075,f.u1.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  40.6 KB
    It would be out of this world
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    The supernova of Betelguese would be visible during day time, and at night- its light would be as bright as the moon in the sky. I have the perfect Vsauce video for this!! (Betelguese part is a bit after 2:00 mins into the video- but I really suggest you watch the full video.)
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    (Original post by the bear)
    Making plans for Rigel ....

:teehee: *
    It may already have happened, but we are just waiting for the photons to interact with our retinas, causing a series of chemical reactions which then lead to the stimulation of the optic nerve, and the brain processing this as 'a supernova'. Still, pretty cool

How does one know if anyting explodes? It's by seeing light. It could explode at anytime, but then we would only really know after the fact.
    Not just by seeing light. Back here on Earth there are other ways of knowing about explosions such as:

Hearing a massive bang
    Getting knocked off your ass by the shockwave
    Getting killed (someone else might need to do this for you)
    Hearing about muslims on the radio
    Same as above, but about comets knocking Jupiter about.

ReputationRep:
    There is no physical difference between it happening for us and for Betelgeuse.
    Betelguese could've exploded this EXACT moment, but we will not see this explosion until a few billion years due to the time it takes for that light to travel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MADMANMALIK)
    Betelguese could've exploded this EXACT moment, but we will not see this explosion until a few billion years due to the time it takes for that light to travel.
    That's not true. That's extrapolation. When we observe effects of the explosion is when it has occurred. The causal effects of the explosion will happen at the speed of light. Think of it this way: there is no possible way for information to travel through space that the explosion has occurred before we observe its effects.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.