The Student Room Group

Flatmates parents are staying over a week! Is this allowed?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ethereal
So the fact you wanted an all female flat and her dad is male is irrelevant then

An older male though? Just gunna be awkward isn't it
Original post by daniellee0
An older male though? Just gunna be awkward isn't it

What difference does his age make?
One of my flat mates is coming from abroad and she said her parents are going to stay in her room for a week. Is this even allowed? None of us feel comfortable about this and we don't understand why they need to stay a week and why they can't just get a hotel.

Is there anything we can do about this?
Jaysus talk about over the top.

Where is the community gone in England.

Tis an one off. They'll probably stay out of the way.

Really are some clowns out there.
Reply 43
Original post by Reue
I'd love to see a magistrate enforce that! Guests are not a privilege.. you have a right to quiet enjoyment of your home and guests are an acceptable part of that enjoyment.

Are they still guests if they stay for a week? Where do we draw the line between "guests" and "people who want to avoid paying the hotel/other accommodation"?

I'm also wondering where they are going to sleep.
Original post by Josb
Are they still guests if they stay for a week? Where do we draw the line between "guests" and "people who want to avoid paying the hotel/other accommodation"?

I'm also wondering where they are going to sleep.

My point exactly. I presumed they will either be sleeping on her floor or on the sofas in the living room / kitchen. I can't see it being very comfortable for them
I actually get where your coming from with this your just not articulating yourself very well.

You have the right to go out, have flatmates and bring whoever you want back without feeling judged. It feels like you've been waiting forever for this freedom and now there are going to be parents extending the freedom date.

I wouldn't kick up a fuss with your flatmate but I also wouldn't change a single damn plan to accommodate them. If she wants her parents to stay in her bedroom that's her choice but I wouldn't accept them sleeping anywhere else.
They're staying in her room - chill.
Are you staying in halls? If so, surely they'll just be sat in her room, will sleep in her room and the most you see of them will be if they're making meals. I imagine your bills are also included so that is a moot point.

I can understand why you wouldn't be thrilled about it, but get over it. I wouldn't let it spoil your mood, be as loud as you would be if they weren't there, get just as drunk, as they're in no position to complain.
My point exactly. I presumed they will either be sleeping on her floor or on the sofas in the living room / kitchen. I can't see it being very comfortable for them

If they're sleeping in communal areas that would be a big problem for me. Laughing at all the people saying this is ok - I wouldn't want to be walking about in my pjs or something with someone's parents there. It would make things very awkward for a week which isn't fair on those living there and actually paying...it's not your issue that they don't want to pay for a hotel, that's just cheap. If you weren't even asked about it that's really inconsiderate of this person as well. Plus it will mean more people using the toilets, showers, less room in the fridge, etc.

If you want to have a party have a party. Personally, I would ask the uni if there's anything they can do because that would piss me off but it's up to you. If everyone else in your halls is unhappy about it (you mentioned nobody else is keen either) someone should talk to them/the halls about it.
(4.14) Guests are deemed a privilege and are only permitted at the sole discretion of the Landlord's Agent and their representatives. Any guests deemed to be under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol will be refused entrance to the property.

So you dont tell us what accommodation it is.
Private or uni owned. How many people are going to be in her room 2 or 3 or4 etc.

I wouldnt be bothered for 1 person for 3 days, even 5.
She should have consulted you.

It might not be as bad as you think and they will realise it will be a bit cramped.

If its uni owned then there will be a warden or you can look at the standard rules.

You make it sound liek a private let and 4.14 indicates they need to get LL permission who will by default say no or demand money because thats what they do.

I would see how it goes and would just enjoy uni as much as reasonably possible as though they werent there. They might be poor for all you know and hotels can eb reasonably expensive even in cheap parts of the country. See how it goes and if they take liberties then raise it.
Original post by josh_v
What exactly do you feel uncomfortable about?

Original post by Lord Samosa
Why does it make you uncomfortable? They probably just want to save money on hotels, it's only a week.

You're an adult now, no need to be so pissy about uncool parents being near you.

Jesus christ. TSR is full of beta's today. You guys might as well invite your parents when you're going clubbing with your mates too.
Original post by lucabrasi98
Jesus christ. TSR is full of beta's today. You guys might as well invite your parents when you're going clubbing with your mates too.

Imagine believing that it's alpha to be scared to get drunk and cook your meals around 'grownups'.

You need to grow a pair if you're not comfortable getting battered because two parents are in another room.
Original post by Conzy210
Imagine believing that it's alpha to be scared to get drunk and cook your meals around 'grownups'.

You need to grow a pair if you're not comfortable getting battered because two parents are in another room.

Imagine believing it's normal for an 18 year old to be spending freshers with their flatmates and parents.

Holy crap.
I think the OP has a point, and by the sounds of it others would as well. Whilst an 18-19 year old man might be only too happy to have a 40-50 year old mum of a flatmate staying in their house for a week, I cannot see the reverse being true. The adjustments needed to be made (no leaving your room without being dressed, availability of the bathroom) are things you accept for a couple of days, but a whole week is a lot. Without the good manners to have asked or even warned well in advance.
Original post by lucabrasi98
Imagine believing it's normal for an 18 year old to be spending freshers with their flatmates and parents.

Holy crap.

OP won't be spending any time with their flatmates' parents. The flatmate is a bit odd yes, but it doesn't affect OP in anyway unless they're scared to upset some 'adults'.

Imagine encouraging someone to ***** and moan about a non-issue. Hilarious.

tbh I read truly retarded stuff on this site every day but this is something else. Can't believe I got baited into giving you a reply in the first place. Won't even dignify you with a proper response now.At least the majority of this thread is full of sane people though.

Anyway, OP! Why don't you take it a step further? Ask them to bring all their parents too!! Apparently it's a non issue so it won't effect all of your experiences in any way!

Edit: Also this is a non debate because it's not allowed. They'd have to leave after 2 days max.
(edited 7 years ago)
i get the bit about the shared facilities, that's probably a bit annoying. but it's only a week so stop being a little *****/snitch and get over it.

if there is a problem with them then you can take further action, but as of rn i'd say get over it.

Also I asked for an all female flat which is what it is and her dad will be the only male there so it will be very awkward

not as though he'll be come to pre-drinks or go out clubbing with you, so i dont see how that could make anything awkward...

so this flatmate has her own kitchen in her (presumably studio) room? does she have her own toilet also?
OP won't be spending any time with their flatmates' parents. The flatmate is a bit odd yes, but it doesn't affect OP in anyway unless they're scared to upset some 'adults'.

Imagine encouraging someone to ***** and moan about a non-issue. Hilarious.

I highly doubt they will be in their room 24/7 I presume at least one if not both of with will be sleeping on the sofas which are in the living room / kitchen area. I didn't sign up to have 2 strangers sleeping on them for a week. It's just awkward, especially if any of us wanna use the kitchen during the night or watch tv gunna feel like we can't as we won't want to disturb them.

She said there staying a week but how do we know it won't turn into longer than a week??
Original post by lawyer3c
so this flatmate has her own kitchen in her (presumably studio) room? does she have her own toilet also?

They are all shared facilities :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest