Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What are the most overrated & Underrated Universities in your opinion Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    i would say that manchester, cardiff and birmingham are all very much in the same league as KCL. i can't see KCL being particularly better than the 3 aforementioned for any course in particular, apart from law.
    KCL have a better dentistry, history, Medicine, Politics, War studies, Psychology, International relations, Philosophy and Media courses than all 3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vividly clear)
    KCL have a better dentistry, history, Medicine, Politics, War studies, Psychology, International relations, Philosophy and Media courses than all 3
    Keep telling yourself that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Keep telling yourself that.
    The league tables don't lie

ReputationRep:
    no one is saying KCL isn't a good university, but there's nothing about KCL which makes manchester, birmingham and cardiff out of its league. there's something about oxbridge, LSE and imperial (to name the obvious few), but not KCL.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Yeah, so loughborough is better than KCL in your eyes too?

Yeah I didnt think so
    EDIT: lol exactly what I said would happen happened.

ReputationRep:
    Overrated: London Met. It ought to be shut down.
    Underrated: Oxford. It doesn't get the merit it deserves as being better than Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    Some suggested reading:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Lie-Sta.../dp/0140136290

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LifeIsFine)
    Yeah, so loughborough is better than KCL in your eyes too?

Yeah I didnt think so
    EDIT: lol exactly what I said would happen happened.
    I wasn't online and please call me up when Loughborough gets ranked top 20 in the F*cking world

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/newsevents/news...0-ranking.aspx

ReputationRep:
    no one is saying KCL isn't a good university, but there's nothing about KCL which makes manchester, birmingham and cardiff out of its league. there's something about oxbridge, LSE and imperial (to name the obvious few), but not KCL.
    What's so special about LSE? Please tell me.

ReputationRep:
    Read this please

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...college-london

ReputationRep:
    What about it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    What about it?
    All the courses I said KCL is far superior to those 3 Uni's in are listed there
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I wasn't online and please call me up when Loughborough gets ranked top 20 in the F*cking world

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/newsevents/news...0-ranking.aspx
    Sigh, you quote the completeuniversityguide, and yet they say Loughbourough is better than KCL:
    http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...k/loughborough

I'm not going to continue this argument, regardless if I'm right or wrong because you know, it really doesnt do anything for anyone

ReputationRep:
    All the courses I said KCL is far superior to those 3 Uni's in are listed there
    Sigh, you quote the completeuniversityguide, and yet they say Loughbourough is better than KCL:

I'm not going to continue this argument, regardless if I'm right or wrong because you know, it really doesnt do anything for anyone
    This.

ReputationRep:

I am talking about specific courses, not the University ranking. You can use any other course league table you want, those subjects I listed KCL are far superior to those other 3 in them.

But when you're comparing Universities you use International rankings because National rankings are based on bullsh*t things like student satisfaction and feedback quality

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    This.
    That's not an argument

ReputationRep:
    What's so special about LSE? Please tell me.
    it's better than KCL... for everything that it does........

ReputationRep:
    it's better than KCL... for everything that it does........
    You have to elaborate because this statement alone isn't tangible.

ReputationRep:
    Here's Mine

Overrated

1. London school of Economics
    2. Warwick University
    3.Exeter
    4.Queen Mary, University of BTEC's
    5.Nottingham
    Why? Would think that it's underrated, along with many other 'city' universities e.g. Manchester, Edinburgh, Birmingham, Sheffield. Also because I'm going there after missing my offer.

I think the most overrated university, in the universe, has to be UCL.
    It even overrates itself by having tonnes of vacancies this year - but doesn't make them available on clearing, only adjustment. Why, except for their own ego, they have this policy I don't know - the extraordinarily rude woman on their 'admissions hotline' couldn't give me any valid reason except for 'because it's UCL', despite me clearly meeting the offer for one of their courses. People call Oxbridge elitist - they don't know about UCL!
    Shows how it has zero academic substance whatsoever and is simply an 'institution' with a nice building and 3 letters and people have the illusion that by simply having those 3 letters on their CV, will instantly give them a 'City' job, despite the appalling rent and student satisfaction situation currently.
    I wish I had done more research before making them my insurance choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bj1)
    Why? Would think that it's underrated, along with many other 'city' universities e.g. Manchester, Edinburgh, Birmingham, Sheffield. Also because I'm going there after missing my offer.

I think the most overrated university, in the universe, has to be UCL.
    It even overrates itself by having tonnes of vacancies this year - but doesn't make them available on clearing, only adjustment. Why, except for their own ego, they have this policy I don't know - the extraordinarily rude woman on their 'admissions hotline' couldn't give me any valid reason except for 'because it's UCL', despite me clearly meeting the offer for one of their courses. People call Oxbridge elitist - they don't know about UCL!
    Shows how it has zero academic substance whatsoever and is simply an 'institution' with a nice building and 3 letters and people have the illusion that by simply having those 3 letters on their CV, will instantly give them a 'City' job, despite the appalling rent and student satisfaction situation currently.
    I wish I had done more research before making them my insurance choice.

To be fair, If I was gonna pick a 6th it would probably be UCL

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 6, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.