Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you believe in evolution? Watch

• View Poll Results: Which theory do you believe?
    Creationism
    20.24%
    Evolution guided by God
    15.48%
    Evolution without God
    64.29%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by biglad2k16)
    Ok calm down, just let people believe what they want.
    I'm not stopping him from being stupid. I'm just commenting on his stupidity. Two very different things.

Obviously you are also an intellectually-deficient cretin hence your rushing to his aid. Commendable, I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    It's not about 'belief'. Macroevolution explains origin of species on Earth better than any other theory. It is founded on a mountain of evidence.

I can tolerate people who believe it was 'guided by God' but people who take Genesis literally and as a substitute for the facts are being wilfully ignorant.
    Most people in religious sects are scared to dwell on self-reflection, or think about what they believe openly with themselves. I was brought up a Christian, but couldn't keep convincing myself of all the illogical or unexplained things that I was taught. The main example being, I can't convince myself that there is an after-life, as much as I would like to believe so.

ReputationRep:
    3 and always will be 3 unless there is some actual proof of anything supernatural in this world, which there isn't.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by CervixPounder)
    Most people in religious sects are scared to dwell on self-reflection, or think about what they believe openly with themselves. I was brought up a Christian, but couldn't keep convincing myself of all the illogical or unexplained things that I was taught. The main example being, I can't convince myself that there is an after-life, as much as I would like to believe so.
    Even if there is a God (I don't know but I strongly suspect there isn't), natural selection is a supremely elegant way of creating a range of different species. I refuse to believe that any sort of God would put all the evidence for evolution here in our very DNA and then expect us to believe it's all untrue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladbants)
    Which of these theories do you believe in?

1) Creationism- God made the Earth and every animal and plant without any evolution.
    2) Evolution guided by God (God made the Earth and everything through the method of evolution)
    3) Evolution without God doing it
    Evolution without God.

A scientist can create new species of bacteria by adding antibiotics to a sample of bacteria, without killing them all. Some will eventually mutate and evolve and become resistant to it. Hence, that antibiotic then does **** all. It's how essentially how MRSA developed - people not taking their antibiotics for the full course recommended! If this natural selection can happen in these bacteria, it can surely happen in other species.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I'd say 1 as I am a Christian,
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter

1) Creationism- God made the Earth and every animal and plant without any evolution.
    2) Evolution guided by God (God made the Earth and everything through the method of evolution)
    3) is the only rational explanation

ReputationRep:

This post is flawed, a belief has no evidence behind it, evolution has strong consistent evidence to it.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Just a Bloke)
    The real beauty is that that its elegance is in itself too tragically flawed to be some supreme design. Only one to three percent of our DNA is useful, much of the other 97 percent is the byproduct of our specie's imperfect genetic transcription.
    I'm not sure if that's actually true (depends how you define 'useful') but it certainly is true that we're flawed machines, put together by an automatic, intuitive, unconscious mechanism.

ReputationRep:
    So far evolution is winning by quite a margin. Evolution with God doesn't seem to be a very popular idea compared to evolution and creationism. Any ideas why?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by kangsterf)
    I'd say 1 as I am a Christian,
    You shouldn't believe things because you're a Christian, you should be a Christian because you believe things.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    So far evolution is winning by quite a margin. Evolution with God doesn't seem to be a very popular idea compared to evolution and creationism. Any ideas why?
    Not wide enough.

Don't know why, I expected 2 to be much stronger at the expense of 1.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    The real beauty is that that its elegance is in itself too tragically flawed to be some supreme design. Only one to three percent of our DNA is useful, much of the other 97 percent is the byproduct of our specie's imperfect genetic transcription.
    That's not entirely true, it's becoming increasingly apparent that "junk DNA" does a lot more than previously thought.

ReputationRep:
    3. but I would want to be 1 to piss off every condescending 18 year old atheist in here.

ReputationRep:
    I utterly and wholly believe in evolution
    Spoiler:
    Show
    BUT I can't help wondering, evolution explains the process. But then, what is the start?
    I find it confusing just to think that life came to be, just like that. How can science explain life. How did archaebacteria or amoebas or whatever just HAPPEN to exist? Even if they came from outer space, how did they just happen to exist?

I think people who don't believe in evolution are stupid. But I just don't find that evolution on it's own, satisfies my queries.

Anyone else feel this way?

ReputationRep:
    In Soviet Russia evolution believes in you

ReputationRep:
    4. Evolution only applies to Pokemon
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by fandom-queen)
    I utterly and wholly believe in evolution
    Spoiler:
    Show
    BUT I can't help wondering, evolution explains the process. But then, what is the start?
    I find it confusing just to think that life came to be, just like that. How can science explain life. How did archaebacteria or amoebas or whatever just HAPPEN to exist? Even if they came from outer space, how did they just happen to exist?

I think people who don't believe in evolution are stupid. But I just don't find that evolution on it's own, satisfies my queries.

Anyone else feel this way?
    Evolution is a perfect explanation for the origin of species but not so much the origin of life. Research is on-going when it comes to the latter.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    The ENCODE project did challenge junk DNA as a concept. However at the same time professors such as Dan Graur have called their findings the work of 'bad technicians'.
    I'm not sure if that's talking about some of the more exotic theories about its involvement in epigenetics but at the very least I was taught last year that all of the introns in eukaryotic DNA probably serve a purpose for complex life in allowing more 'experimentation' by making gene splicing and movement less likely to end in problems and also aids cell differentiation.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.