Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Deputy Prime Minister's Questions – 04 Sep 2016 Watch

ReputationRep:
    Mr Speaker,

May I ask the Deputy Prime Minister what actions the Government will be taking in response to the views of the House on the badger cull and on dog fighting, both of which are opposed by a majority of the members of the House?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    They weren't opposed by a majority though.
    Thirty members of the House wanted an end to dog fighting and 34 an end to the badger cull. So opposing dog fighting and badger culls, just to clarify.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    Mr Speaker I suppose the only way to follow up this issue is to ask, would it be a coalition breaker? If the tories insisted you vote against or at least abstain on a bill about LGBTQ+ rights, recognition and equality, or even a bill to do with racial or gender rights and equality, would you be prepared to break away from the Tories, or would you lead your MPs in not voting for it? Assuming you and the majority of your party agree with the bill.
    Yes it would. I only wish to be part of a Government that stands for every single individual.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Mr Speaker,

May I ask the Deputy Prime Minister what actions the Government will be taking in response to the views of the House on the badger cull and on dog fighting, both of which are opposed by a majority of the members of the House?
    I will speak to the relevant Secretaries of States and the Prime Minister in getting out a statement on all outstanding motions, including those on badger culling and doc fighting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by JoeL1994)
    Can we get a ball park figure (including the 2 you mention here) of the amount of Bills you're aiming to release to the house?
    I'm afraid I can't give you one at the moment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    Mr. Speaker,

Does the Right Honourable Deputy Prime Minister harbour any disappointment at the lack of any truly liberal, let alone radical, social reform by this government and by even his own party, despite this being core to their professed values?
    To a certain extent, yes, I do. The nature of Government is compromise, which is why my party has already said that we will stay out of Government next term to use the seats we have to pass radical socially liberal legislation.

That's not to say this Government hasn't been a liberal one. Just not as radical by any stretch as I personally would like.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    So, wait, which is it?

The majority of the government backs a bill (ie every Tory) but the majority of your own Liberal party oppose it, (let's say, £9k tuition fees) do you veto?
    If the majority of my party oppose it, I look to have the bill changed until my party see fit, or yes, veto it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    This question session has ended.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.