Economics or Computer Science

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    My degree was in Econ (got a 1st) from a pretty rubbish RG uni.

Do Compsci

ReputationRep:
    Computer Science because I want to do Economics and therefore you are technically competition.

Economics is great. Who needs computers anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrojanH)
    lads

i rep 110kg

fight my weak comp sci ass
    I DL 2pl8 and study Comp Sci if that counts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexoso)
    I DL 2pl8 and study Comp Sci if that counts
    Good lad. It counts.

ReputationRep:
    Good lad. It counts.
    Feels good man

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladbants)
    Compsci won't get you pussy
    Economics will
    Judging that you determine whether someone get pussy by the subject they choose, I can clearly see you get none for yourself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladbants)
    All the people I know who do compsci bicep curl less than 10kg.
    Econ lads lift more on average.
    solution
    do cs and lift

pussy and moneyzz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BasicMistake)
    Computer Science because I want to do Economics and therefore you are technically competition.

Economics is great. Who needs computers anyway?
    LOOL tru my C is the only thing stopping me tbh

As for cs
    Its

LOOOOL tru

ReputationRep:
    Was in the exact same position as you last year, and I actually changed due to year 13 economics, it was just plain boring, whereas maths was much more fun.

My best advice would go to taster lectures, as I live in london there were lots and the economics ones for boring for me whereas the compsci ones were interesting.

ReputationRep:
    My god you read 'Oxford grad' and rushed to get your nose all brown. Form your own opinions.
    What?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingLAWZA)
    Was in the exact same position as you last year, and I actually changed due to year 13 economics, it was just plain boring, whereas maths was much more fun.

My best advice would go to taster lectures, as I live in london there were lots and the economics ones for boring for me whereas the compsci ones were interesting.
    ah yea that's a good idea tysm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yaboi)
    My degree was in Econ (got a 1st) from a pretty rubbish RG uni.

Do Compsci

oh ii see
    mhm okay yea i think imma do cs

any tips for personal statements???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squish562)
    The only people doing compsci are the ones too awkward to study economics and do finance jobs
    To awkward? There is more group work and communication required in a CS degree than economics, in economics you just read out a text book in the library in silence .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raees_Sharif)
    economics is only worthwhile at a top university. very very few students from ex-polys go into high finance or consulting.
    CS has high % of students going into professional jobs at almost all universities, even ex-polys. most go into software engineering. if you're an exceptional programmer u can earn £70000+ at 30. even people from ex-poly's get hired to work at big tech companies like google, facebook, amazon, microsoft etc.
    This is very misleading lmfao, i know a good 5-6 people from De Montfort and a few from Leicester Uni as well who did BA Economics degrees and are comfortably on 27-29k first job starting salaries in high finance roles, which will increase a lot by the second year in top places like Disney and IBM. So it must be far from 'very very few' students if i know 7-8 personally lol.

People placing far to much emphasis on a uni when in reality it'll be the poor people skills in interviews that let them down, not a uni.

So OP, don't choose not to study economics just because it's not at at an elite uni because outside of the top 15, there are 68 other unis that do economics, and i'm pretty sure the grads do just fine if you get a first or 2:1, work on interview skills and have extra circulars.
    I would understand if you're talking about Law and give this message, but in terms of economics grads do just fine

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which is the best season?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.