When will the religious people realize there is NO afterlife ?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Applepiex3)
    Weird isn't it? That the scriptures passed on for thousands of years contain prophecies on what is going to happen in the future.

Weird how they are all slowly coming true.

Let's suppose there is no afterlife. You enjoy living your life believing there is none and those who want to believe can live their life knowing they have a bigger goal to attend to after death.

Weird how similar all three Abrahamic religions are and how they believe in the concept of heaven and hell. Weird how in all three religions they are told that those who refuse to believe are blinded and will never believe
    Weird how similar all Latin languages are and how they all use the alphabet. Weird how The Song of Ice and Fire has predicted what would happen in the Game of Thrones. Weird how they are all slowly coming true.

ReputationRep:
    Everything exists for a purpose and no one really knows our purpose in life. Coincidentally there's something called religion which actually gives purpose to our lives.
    Waiting for the next Madonna album is some people's purpose in life. So I guess Madonna is God and created everyone.

It is controversial to bring up scriptures again but isn't it a little spine chilling to be warned about the afterlife? No one could have just made it up. Especially since most of the text made no sense whatsoever to those when scriptures were made- they lived in different conditions. But thousands of years old text refers to us and the civilization man has built.
    No-one could have made Lord of the Rings up. People didn't know the language in the book at all. People didn't understand the LotR world.

Therefore, The Lord of the Rings are history books and are historical records of what actually happened.

Also, The Lord of the Rings have been passed on through generation in its original form. The collection of books known as The Bible have been heavily edited throughout the centuries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scaredofdeath)
    There is no need to be open minded once you get to the truth.
    Do we need to be open minded that maybe the earth is not round? or that there is no such thing as gravity ?.
    People used to believe that it was a FACT the earth was flat. First person to suggest it wasn't was ostricised. If we believed everything we currently think to be fact we would never discover anything. We would have never found the poles we would have never known squid exist or that dogs can be trained to sit.

I'd like to point out that I am not religious myself. I don't know what if any higher power there may be, but i'm keeping an open mind. It may well be that everything just ends, but everybody is entitled to believe what they want.
    As for when they will realise, when they die and don't get an afterlife (though I guess if you basically stopped existing you couldn't realise anything). People want something to explain why the exist and to comfort them when they know that some day they will stop existing.

As for your point about us being brains, we used to have a very different idea of the world because we didn't know how to measure it or look closer. We used to have the wrong idea about the structure of atoms before we developed a way to lok closer, we used to believe that bathing every day was bad for your health. We changed our minds about all of that when we found better ways to examine them. Who's to say that decades from now we won't descover a way to find the "soul" just as we previously discovered a way to find electrical impulses and to look at the brain.

To believe that everything you currently know is fact is shallow-minded, arrogant and un-scientific. There is still a hell of a lot we don't know about our world and our being and who know's what that unknown stuff could be. If you held this way of thinking when you were a child you would have never learned anything and if you continue this way of thinking as an adult you will never be able to accept the evolving world.

Besides there is no way to definitivly prove that there is no afterlife because the basis of most religions is that the world we know was created by the gods or some otherworldly force. That would mean that it exists seperately from our laws and facts (since it created them). It's like how our reality is different to minecraft or any other "world" created by humans. There is no way for Sims to know that they are a world within our own because it goes against their world's laws. Ours could be exactly the same.

ReputationRep:
    Lol try living in the US where 70% believe not just in life after death, but heaven. And to boot, what's even worse is the belief in hell-only the religious have a sadistic enough imagination to find comfort in the delusion that people they dislike suffer after death for all eternity.

ReputationRep:
    We will stop when the muslims will stop blowing themselves up and kill people in hope of eternal reward in the afterlife ( which of course exists only in their deranged imagination ).
    I'd just like to point out for anybody here who blames "muslims" for terrorism that it is a small proportion of muslims who do so and to majority of other muslims hate their ideas just as much as anybody else. It's like blaming all Christians for Priests who abuse children, or all Athiests for Jeffrey Dahmer or all Austrians for Hitler!

Have you heard of Anders Breivik? He killed more than 69 people. He was an athiest.

Tamil Tigers? Killed as many as 774 people in an etnic cleansing in 1990. They practically invented suicide bombing. Athiest! That's almost half as many victims in ONE attack as by ALL Islamic attacks in 2014.

If you are an atheist and believe a whole religion should be held accountable for the crimes of a few you should hold yourself accountable for the crimes of these people. Ignorance is bliss isn't it?

By the way scaredofdeath, I don't want you to think that I am personally attacking you, you just happen to be voicing very well a lot of views that annoy me. There are many other people who share the same views as you and this is just as much aimed at them as it is you.

ReputationRep:
    There is no need to be open minded once you get to the truth.
    Do we need to be open minded that maybe the earth is not round? or that there is no such thing as gravity ?.
    Let me rephrase my last post as you cleary didn't understand - wrong forum, dumbass! Firstly, there's a religion forum, and secondly, what on earth made you think this belonged under Philosophy? Try a dictionary, perhaps...

ReputationRep:
    I guess an afterlife is what keeps people so attached to their faith

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    Weird how similar all Latin languages are and how they all use the alphabet. Weird how The Song of Ice and Fire has predicted what would happen in the Game of Thrones. Weird how they are all slowly coming true.
    I am assuming any thousand year old scripture is a classical fantasy for you. Though did you not think to consider that you are comparing texts from different eras?

ReputationRep:
    Everything I wrote was extremely biased and based on personal feelings; you may find everything I say to be quite subjective but no harm since we are challenging each others beliefs

Yes, they are continuations but you missed the point: why do they exist? Everything exists for a purpose and no one really knows our purpose in life. Coincidentally there's something called religion which actually gives purpose to our lives.

It is controversial to bring up scriptures again but isn't it a little spine chilling to be warned about the afterlife? No one could have just made it up. Especially since most of the text made no sense whatsoever to those when scriptures were made- they lived in different conditions. But thousands of years old text refers to us and the civilization man has built.

What I wrote was actually softened since religion tends to be strict. It is said that those who do not believe never believed in the first place. Everyone has doubts about their religion and beliefs but those little doubts can lead a person to stop believing altogether. As harsh as it sounds but when a person quits believing in God it says that there is no point in trying to change their minds since they are now the disbelievers and their hearts are technically turned to stone so there is no point, only they are to decide what they want to do - its between them and God.

Sorry it was so long, I'm half asleep as well lol hope it makes sense x
    "Everything exists for a purpose" - says who? You? By assuming that everything is here for a reason you're already entering the debate with a biased point of view. And I don't think it is a coincidence that religion provides 'purpose' in life, in fact it's actually rather inevitable. When an intelligent mind develops it wants to believe it developed for a reason, hence it created one: religion. There is no evidence to suggest that there is an inherent purpose for anything in the universe, least of all a group of highly evolved apes. Humanity are a speck of dust on a universal scale, we are not important, we have no purpose. As soon as I see evidence contrary to this I will reassess my position, but none has yet materialised.

And "no one could have made an afterlife up"... really? Are you actually proposing that? People have thought of far more imaginative things than simply living on after death. Again, this is also inevitable for an intelligent mind trying to come to terms with its own mortality. And once again, for one last time, with no evidence to the contrary there is no reason to do anything more than theorise in an afterlife, unfailingly believing something you can't prove is ridiculous.

"Thousands of years old text refers to us and the civilisation man has built", umm what? Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say here. A text, written by men a couple of thousand years ago, refers to men and their civilisation? I thought that would be a given...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    Waiting for the next Madonna album is some people's purpose in life. So I guess Madonna is God and created everyone.

No-one could have made Lord of the Rings up. People didn't know the language in the book at all. People didn't understand the LotR world.

Therefore, The Lord of the Rings are history books and are historical records of what actually happened.

Also, The Lord of the Rings have been passed on through generation in its original form. The collection of books known as The Bible have been heavily edited throughout the centuries.
    Madonna wasn't there in the beginning of time now, was she? If someone's purpose in life is waiting for a Madonna album then good for them but how does that make Madonna God? Please explain.

Your purpose in life doesn't need to be religion but religion does have a purpose. If religion has thrived to exist for thousands of years, surely there is a reason.

I would like to see people even remember that a women named Madonna even existed in thousands of years time. (No hating on Madonna personally lol)

You mentioned no one being around to see the books being written. People witnessed the Bible being written though as well as the Quran, lets not forget Torah and the book of Dawud. People were there and witnessed the events which took place.

An example from the scriptures would be the body of Ramses. I am sure you are aware of the story of Moses with the sea splitting apart. Science alone can never prove how that happened and let's ignore that unjustified matter and say that the sea never parted. In the scriptures which was written by God through Man, it talks about the bodies of those who were swept away in the sea; God said that he would preserve the body as a sign in the future. Back then people tried to search the body of Ramses however it was never found. The body was discovered thousands of years after, in 1898 in the red sea; unharmed regardless of not being preserved in any way. I found that pretty amazing.

ReputationRep:
    There is NO life after death.
    anyone on TSR who says they know what happens when you are brown bread is lying or deluded. *

ReputationRep:
    prove it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by latisha88)
    Apes do not know how to speak human language.
    They can learn to understand it though.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koko_(gorilla)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ELVsLP)
    When will atheists stop caring about what religious people believe in and get a life?
    When will religionists stop trying to influence society to conform to their faith and keep their beliefs to themselves?

ReputationRep:
    Weird isn't it? That the scriptures passed on for thousands of years contain prophecies on what is going to happen in the future.

Weird how they are all slowly coming true.
    No they aren't. It's just that most of them are so vague and ambiguous that, with some impressive mental gymnastics, they can be shoehorned into apparently matching many events.

Weird how similar all three Abrahamic religions are and how they believe in the concept of heaven and hell. Weird how in all three religions they are told that those who refuse to believe are blinded and will never believe
    Not weird at all. In fact, it is entirely to be expected, considering that each successive religion drew heavily on the previous one. It is a clear and unsurprising evolution.

ReputationRep:
    ok .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TercioOfParma)
    When will people realise that god is unfalsifiable, and hence atheism and theism are both potentially false.
    A specific god, about whom specific, testable claims are made can be falsified if those claims can be shown to be false.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    A specific god, about whom specific, testable claims are made can be falsified if those claims can be shown to be false.
    Well, one could just say god didn't want to do anything when you test.

ReputationRep:
    Everything exists for a purpose and no one really knows our purpose in life. Coincidentally there's something called religion which actually gives purpose to our lives.
    What makes you think that we have any purpose other than procreation, like every other species on earth?

The concept of heaven and hell is very straightforward. It is simply reward and punishment for following the rules (or not). Look at the ancient descriptions of heaven. They are essentially just exaggerations of lifes luxuries and indulgences. Likewise, hell is just earthly torture, but going on forever.
    I am puzzled as to why you think it is so mysterious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SCIENCE :D)
    I am possibly one of the strongest atheists on this thread. I believe in the afterlife, just not how it is portrayed by religion... I have witnessed it with my own eyes.
    No. You just think you have.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you prefer to be told about sex by your:
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.