Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    It's the way the agreements work we put OUR border on the French side, and we pay for OUR border protection.
    But it's nowhere near the border control !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    We should actually be grateful the French are allowing this, if I was them I'd ditch the treaty already in place and move the border back to Dover.
    It was the French who first suggested it

ReputationRep:
    We should actually be grateful the French are allowing this, if I was them I'd ditch the treaty already in place and move the border back to Dover.
    It wouldn't change anything. The French don't want to see illegal immigrants swarming to Calais and assaulting motorists and trucks. They are in fact quite happy that the Brits pay a part of the cost.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    It wouldn't change anything. The French don't want to see illegal immigrants swarming to Calais and assaulting motorists and trucks. They are in fact quite happy that the Brits pay a part of the cost.
    I know it wouldn't change things, but it might make a point to the people in the UK complaining(which is what we do best of course ).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gaybritain)
    I agree. It's their problem, not ours, just like the £7m the government gave to Eurotunnel to improve security. Why?, it's a plc. I'm sure a simple threat of closing the tunnel unless the shareholders (mostly tories) came up with the money would've been enough to get 'em to cough up, and like a 13 foot high fence? If the Med and the channel don't stop illegal immigrants a stupid little fence won't
    The tunnel has been a bottomless pit financially for years, it's only been propped up and started scraping a profit recently because it's deemed to big to be allowed fail.

ReputationRep:
    Here's a radical suggestion ......

Maybe the French should build a wall along there other borders. You know, the land based ones. That might stop the problem arriving on THEIR doorstep.

Seriously though, asylum seekers are meant to seek it in the first safe country they come to. I know they have had much more than their fair share of incidents in the last couple of years but generally speaking France is safe. Certainly safer than many of the countries the migrants originate from. So, mes amis, the problem is primarily YOURS. If they didn't arrive in Europe at your coastline, take it up with the countries you are joined to. The Chunnel doesn't count btw.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by viffer)

Maybe the French should build a wall along there other borders. You know, the land based ones. That might stop the problem arriving on THEIR doorstep.

Seriously though, asylum seekers are meant to seek it in the first safe country they come to. I know they have had much more than their fair share of incidents in the last couple of years but generally speaking France is safe. Certainly safer than many of the countries the migrants originate from. So, mes amis, the problem is primarily YOURS. If they didn't arrive in Europe at your coastline, take it up with the countries you are joined to. The Chunnel doesn't count btw.
    Its certainly a dumb one.

Such a wall would be massiveley expensive.
    It would be contrary to the free movement of people and Schengen.
    France is less concerned about the Calais migrants as they are trying to get to the UK, There is no obligatuib ib asylum seekers to claim asylum in any particular country and they can claim it where they like.

ReputationRep:
    This conversation seems to have hit a wall quite quickly...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Might be a bit tricky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Its certainly a dumb one.

Such a wall would be massiveley expensive.
    It would be contrary to the free movement of people and Schengen.
    France is less concerned about the Calais migrants as they are trying to get to the UK, There is no obligatuib ib asylum seekers to claim asylum in any particular country and they can claim it where they like.
    Clearly I should have inserted my tongue a little further in my cheek.

ReputationRep:
    Might be a bit tricky.

Just butt it up to that natural barrier
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Clearly I should have inserted my tongue a little further in my cheek.
    Still doesnt change the fact you spouted the first safe country nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    It's just a flippin' wall I'm sure it's not that expensive compared to things like defence, education or healthcare.

ReputationRep:
    Might be a bit tricky.

Didn't stop the Third Reich lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JavaScriptMaster)
    Didn't stop the Third Reich lol
    Haha.

Tbf it stopped the Italians, although that didn't take much in those days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Still doesnt change the fact you spouted the first safe country nonsense.
    It's not nonsense. If they are fleeing civil war (generally) or persecution (personally) there are a number of countries between the usual suspect countries and the UK. Anyone genuinely seeking refuge from either of those don't need to get as far as the UK before being safe. All of that should apply regardless of what the 1991 Convention states.

Economic migrants c'est une autre paire de manches. If they are bringing somnething better than Blue Nun or Lebfraumilch to the party they are welcome. If they are going to be a drain on public services it is not unreasonable to say "you're name's not down etc etc....."

Oh, and however unintended it may have been, you are coming across like one of those lovely hand-wringing liberal types.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    It's not nonsense. If they are fleeing civil war (generally) or persecution (personally) there are a number of countries between the usual suspect countries and the UK. Anyone genuinely seeking refuge from either of those don't need to get as far as the UK before being safe. All of that applies regardless of what the 1991 Convention states.

Economic migrants c'est une autre paire de manches. If they are bringing somnething better than Blue Nun or Lebfraumilch to the party they are welcome. If they are going to be a drain on public services it is not unreasonable to say "you're name's not down etc etc....."

Oh, and however unintended it may have been, you are coming across like one of those lovely hand-wringing liberal types.
    Its nonsense because you dont have a clue what the law is or why your proposals are urrelevant. A potential refugee may seek asylum in whichever country they wish because there is no requirement for them to seek it in the first safe country, that comes from elsewhere and is usually misunderstood and falsely quited by those who dont understand it.

The important point is that they are fleeing persecution and unable to return. Thats the key to whether you are a refugee or not. Fail to establish that and they can be deported. Thats the Convention that the UK signed up to.

[email protected] fact pointing out you are incorrect = liberal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ckfeister)
    No, we should. Its to defend UK, so should be paid by UK government.
    **** off, we pay for more than enough!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryPoppins)
    my iq is 141 i doubt yours is anywhere near that pal
    Oh dear, you're confusing the ability to correctly answer a series of random IQ questions with the intelligence to understand a complex geopolitical issue.
    You can train to get better at passing IQ questions but to understand the issues surrounding refugees requires emotional intelligence, political knowledge and wisdom, which are entirely different.

ReputationRep:
    The UK is now the world's second biggest exporter of weapons. If we can profit from making and selling the bombs and bullets which have forced these people to flee their countries, are we not big enough to take some responsibility for the end result? Rather than building walls, spend the money on helping some of the refugees. Some of these people are skilled engineers, teachers, doctors or builders, all of which are in short supply. Others are children younger than you, with no family in the refugee camps but relatives in the UK who are willing to care for them.

There will come a time when people will look back at the idea of 9,000 refugees, escaping war and living in absolute poverty on a few miles from the UK. They will ask our generation how we, one of the world's biggest economies, could have let this happen.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.