Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    haha I'm pretty sure that's a joke picture, the words and insignia were clearly edited in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivybridge)
    My best friend is a practising muslim... so is his family... I have never been accepted with more love and respect in my life other than by my boyfriend's family.
    That's just an anecdote. Do you dispute my contention that gay Muslims in Britain face appalling prejudice from their own "community?"

You gotta love Muslim scholars on the subject, by the way. They don't argue about whether you guys should be executed, but how...

Burned to death or stoning? A tough theological question, that one, Jesus.

https://islamqa.info/en/84140

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Whoa. Just ask yourselves this. When you are arrested, do you really need to see the face of the person arresting you? It's just not essential.
    Well if I'm being stopped by a dementor for no apparent reason, going by GO WISELY, I have every right to demand that she identifies herself.

Police are CIVIL SERVANTS after all.

ReputationRep:
    Whoa. Just ask yourselves this. When you are arrested, do you really need to see the face of the person arresting you? It's just not essential.
    Police don't only arrest people, there are some circumstances where having a face covered by islamic dress are inappropiate. What if you need to approach a copper to ask about your missing child?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saba XD)
    Don't worry. The people on this thread think that they are saving you and I get the same 'we are saving you from oppression' because I'm a Muslim woman. :rolleyes:
    Are any members of your family practising gays, can I ask?

Do you know any in your "community?"

If so, how's it working out for them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generallee)
    That's just an anecdote. Do you dispute my contention that gay Muslims in Britain face appalling prejudice from their own "community?"

You gotta love Muslim scholars on the subject, by the way. They don't argue about whether you guys should be executed, but how...

Burned to death or stoning? A tough theological question, that one, Jesus.

https://islamqa.info/en/84140
    To be honest, I have never met a muslim who's bullied me for being gay or abused me or told me I should die. I have, however, met tonnes of average British people - atheists or Christian - who have.

Anecdotes ar useful. You can't really measure what you're talking about without them. Not everything is verifiable by hard measurable facts.

ReputationRep:
    maybe Scottish policemen should be allowed to wear kilts on duty.

ReputationRep:
    Pal, I'm not going to try and impress a weasel over a computer screen at half two in the morning. Don't start trying to insult my intelligence. Come back when you get offers from elite US universities then we'll compare, yeah?

Night little one.
    Well done for getting those offers!

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I have never met a muslim who's bullied me for being gay or abused me or told me I should die.
    If you are not celibate they hold to a belief system which if true, means that when you actually DO die, your "soul" will then spend all eternity in hell.

Maybe that is enough for them?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a non starter.

There will be some situations where police officers will be asked to identify themselves. And, in some situations, it is a requirement that they produce their warrant card to do so, without being asked.

The main feature of a warrant card is the photo ID part. So, I'd imagine that wearing clothing that completely, or substantially, covers the face would frustrate the intended use of said card.

It's nice that we have police forces wanting to encourage all groups in society to join the police. I suspect that this is what is going on here. But in reality, I doubt we'll see police officers wearing the burka.

So all in all, TSR has four pages of Islamaphobia... and all over nothing. Nice.

ReputationRep:
    On the one hand, it's great that they are encouraging Muslim women to join the police force. On the other hand, I don't feel that I could trust someone if they aren't showing their face or their eyes! A huge part of being able to trust someone is eye contact.

ReputationRep:
    They are the ones throwing gay men from buildings - yes you have.
    There are many groups that throw gays from buildings, you assume too much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    maybe Scottish policemen should be allowed to wear kilts on duty.
    In America, it's completely routine.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I have never met a muslim who's bullied me for being gay or abused me or told me I should die. I have, however, met tonnes of average British people - atheists or Christian - who have.

Anecdotes ar useful. You can't really measure what you're talking about without them. Not everything is verifiable by hard measurable facts.
    That would be because Muslims only represent around 4% of the UK population while atheists + Christians represent around 80% so statistically you would be more likely to be abused by a Christian or an atheist than a Muslim. That doesn't mean that Muslims are somehow more tolerant of gays than Christians and atheists- far from it..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generallee)
    If you are not celibate they hold to a belief system which if true, means that when you actually DO die, your "soul" will then spend all eternity in hell.

Maybe that is enough for them?
    I don't quite care what they believe, I care how they treat me because of it. They don't treat me poorly, therefore I couldn't care less.

(Original post by Trapz99)
    That would be because Muslims only represent around 4% of the UK population while atheists + Christians represent around 80% so statistically you would be more likely to be abused by a Christian or an atheist than a Muslim. That doesn't mean that Muslims are somehow more tolerant of gays than Christians and atheists- far from it..
    I didn't say Muslims were mor tolerant - I'm saying that we shouldn't all tar with the same brush. That goes for any denomination or mainstream religious system.

ReputationRep:
    In America, it's completely routine.

you can't see his helmet

:dontknow: *

ReputationRep:

A new undercover squad from CID gathering evidence in Birmingham.

Note the absence of helmets...

ReputationRep:
    What an affront to our values. I refuse to deal with a police officer if they are wearing that. How can a member of the public trust someone whose face you can't see. It's not okay for someone in a burqa to just arrest you

ReputationRep:
    Surely regular police officers need to be easily identifiable as police officers and would therefore need to show their face?

ReputationRep:
    So what? Who are you to dictate what women should wear?

Freedom

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.