The Student Room Group

Poll shows 75% of Brits identify as centrist, centre-right or right-wing

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by SCIENCE :D
I have this fear that UKIP will be the Conservatives main opposition by 2020, and it is becoming more and more probable. :redface:

And that is good. Maybe than will the UK follow its national interest instead of being a US puppet and absorbing its cultural carbage.
Reply 41
Britain was improving most under the rule of old-guard imperialists like Cecil Rhodes, Winston Churchil and so on. Since the neo-liberal leftist are ruling UK is no more a super power.

People just know which kind of politicans gave them the most benefits.
Original post by fksociety
considering that the youth are becoming more and more liberal this is hardly relevant.

No-one cares what the young left think, they have no power and their views on "safe spaces" and the like are laughable. This generation may be the most ridiculous and contemptible in British history.

But it won't matter because by the time "the youth" are old enough to know what's what and run things they will have something to lose and become conservative.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
It certainly wasn't a vote for liberal capitalism. Sorry Mr Hannon.

People generally have reasons for not liking the EU. Wanting to find out what these reasons are seems sensible.

And the polling puts it as exactly what the campaign was about: control. Nearly a majority gave sovereignty of parliament as their main reason and the next biggest was getting true border control

Original post by Ambitious1999
I'm not so sure. Labour is enjoying increasing support in Southern England these days than they ever have. Unaffordable house prices, and rents are making people turn to labour. Also other issues such as welfare cuts and wanting air attacks in Syria to stop.

I was recently in Bath a Tory type city or so I thought. There was a left wing rally on and it seemed to have a lot of support. Many wanted Mendips to be a trident free zone. Several people I spoke to said they'd vote labour and would be happy to wake up with Corbyn as prime minister.

Last year Labour got just over 6000 votes in Bath, now imagine all of them attend a rally and a load more are bused in. That looks like a lot of support, you assume it's but a fraction of the support in the constituency, but instead it's more than all of it. Attendance at a rally is not particularly indicative of support.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TercioOfParma
Weird how young right wingers outnumber young left wingers.

economically,

the statist and authoritarian nature of the 'help' given to people in the blair - brown years ...

and of course the gross hypocrisy of the left over ESA and the WCA process...
Original post by Rakas21
I'm curious as to where you see it today.

Personally i don't think it's that far away from where it was twenty years ago. Take Blair and give him some anti-immigrant rhetoric while proposing to cut the welfare bill and i think people would lap it up.

But welfare was a central thing in the Blair years. Labour, domestically at least, can be summed up as:

Tons and tons of welfare while being business-friendly in order to pay for it. This is why it was so successful. It had a broad appeal
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
It certainly wasn't a vote for liberal capitalism. Sorry Mr Hannon.

People generally have reasons for not liking the EU. Wanting to find out what these reasons are seems sensible.

There was certainly an element of this actually. The "everyone who doesn't agree that the EU is the best thing in the world is wayciss" crowd may not agree but these people don't tend to actually know many leave voters.

My area has tons of small business owners - everything from your man and van ops to engineering companies and loads have felt for years that over-regulation from the EU has hampered them. People in the gas and electric maintenance, repair and installation industries were shouting this a decade ago for example. I don't necessarily agree with this myself but this is what they believe. When I'd tell people in my town I was voting to remain I was looked at like a nut case for the reasons above.

What you've got to appreciate is that all the regulation and red tape is so expensive and time-consuming that only well-establish companies can afford to navigate them for the most part, which greatly hinders SMEs from growing and becoming proper competitors to the big boys. This is why so many SME owners are dead against the EU and have been for years. Again, where I live is full of these people and anything other than a leave vote was considered crazy to them.

Maybe in places like Boston and Kings Lynn the reasons for people voting out were vastly different but a fight against EU regulations on everything that moved was certainly a factor for a lot more people here than immigration or whatever else people imagine the reasons to be.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by KimKallstrom
There was certainly an element of this actually. The "everyone who doesn't agree that the EU is the best thing in the world is wayciss" crowd may not agree but these people don't tend to actually know many leave voters.

I like the aspect of liberal capitalism that erodes national borders. Most of the brexit voters do not.

There are about as many of these guys as there were Lexit leaver voters. They are the fringe.
Original post by KimKallstrom
But welfare was a central thing in the Blair years. Labour, domestically at least, can be summed up as:

Tons and tons of welfare while being business-friendly in order to pay for it. This is why it was so successful. It had a broad appeal

People now largely and incorrectly think that Labour spending, especially on welfare was what caused the global financial crash.

The reality is that benefits such as tax credits and child benefits certainly helped many climb the ladder. Working class parents having middle class children was not merely a slogan for the new labour years, it was the reality.

The great irony of course is that so many people who benefited from such policies then become tories as they become wealthier.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending