Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Where were you when you learned of 9/11? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bazlehman)
    I remember watching it on TV when I was 15 and then (either the same or next day) saying to my classmates that it was suspicious that Tamoor from science class was off that day. No one laughed .
    Lol I literally loled
    Too soon, friend. Too soon

ReputationRep:
    i had not been conceived.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by the bear)
    i had not been conceived.
    You must be older than me Bear:eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by swirly)
    I came home from school and flicked on ccbc, and it was cancelled for news, then flicked on citv, and it was cancelled for news. I knew something big had happened because I'd never seen children's TV cancelled for news. I Didn't really understand what had happened at first and thought people had stolen aeroplanes in some kind of GTA like heist. Then someone explained what they had done with them and it was like oh my god.
    I was down the pub.

Altho I do know a man that crashed his 911 Carrera only the day before.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Laomedeia)
    I was down the pub.

Altho I do know a man that crashed his 911 Carrera only the day before.
    Oooh the irony

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Came home from secondary and saw it on every TV channel

ReputationRep:
    I can't actually remember there being one point when I suddenly became aware of it. I don't remember ever seeing it on TV or learning about it later. I was aware of something happening, though I don't know if that was from the day or if I picked stuff up later.

I was 5 when it happened.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markova21)
    I must have been watching the news on TV that morning. Don't actually remember that, but a few hours later I needed to go into town. I remember standing at the till in Woolworth's, and me and the cashier talking about it. I told her I couldn't take in what had happened and how wrong it felt that we were just carrying on as normal ,doing shopping in Woolworths, when over three thousand people had been wiped out .She agreed wholeheartedly with me, and said she kind of felt guilty being here at work, serving customers their everyday, mundane things they were buying. Never forgotten that conversation with her.
    Where do you live?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saraxh)
    I was 1 years old
    I am so old...

My mum picked my brother and I up from the train station after school. She was upset but I didn't know until I saw the TV later at home.

I think even it had already happened while at school but given no smartphones, no one was aware when school ended. I just remember coming back the next morning and a ton of people crying (my school had many Americans in it).

ReputationRep:
    I came home from school. I was 12 at the time. I remember a friend came home with me, because he was staying for dinner. We got in and my mum put the TV on and told us to watch what had happened in New York. I don't think I fully understood how horrific it actually was at the time. It feels weird thinking back. I'm sure I should have understood it properly at 12, but I don't think I did.

I'm sure the coverage of it was on every terrestrial channel on TV.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NathanW18)
    I came home from school. I was 12 at the time. I remember a friend came home with me, because he was staying for dinner. We got in and my mum put the TV on and told us to watch what had happened in New York. I don't think I fully understood how horrific it actually was at the time. It feels weird thinking back. I'm sure I should have understood it properly at 12, but I don't think I did.

I'm sure the coverage of it was on every terrestrial channel on TV.
    It was such a strange thing to happen, that even though the footage was on TV, it probably didn't click into place in your brain, because it was such an alien concept. At first, I thought people had stolen aeroplanes, to sell on for profit or whatever. I didn't even know there was such thing as terrorism at that age, and it was the first time all the major TV channels and cancelled their broadcasts to show just the news.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yudothis)
    Where do you live?
    I'm from Manchester but have lived in Northern Ireland with my son since 1999. Why?

ReputationRep:
    I was only a few months old when 9/11 happened, but I remember when I was in like year six and my class did a project on it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm from Manchester but have lived in Northern Ireland with my son since 1999. Why?
    Because UK time the first plane crashed roughly 14:00. Before it became clear and widespread on the news I dare say it was quite a bit after that maybe even close to 15:00.

But you were saying about watching it on TV in the morning. And a few hours later you had to go shop. A few hours later would already be early evening almost?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by swirly)
    I came home from school and flicked on ccbc, and it was cancelled for news, then flicked on citv, and it was cancelled for news. I knew something big had happened because I'd never seen children's TV cancelled for news. I Didn't really understand what had happened at first and thought people had stolen aeroplanes in some kind of GTA like heist. Then someone explained what they had done with them and it was like oh my god.
    I came mme from school (had just started year 6 at the time) and my mum and dad kept talking about it. All we seemed to watch at that evening.

ReputationRep:
    Because UK time the first plane crashed roughly 14:00. Before it became clear and widespread on the news I dare say it was quite a bit after that maybe even close to 15:00.

But you were saying about watching it on TV in the morning.
    Oh. Gosh, I always thought it was on the news when I got up that morning. That's how I remembered it. Unless I went into town the following morning. I would have collected my son from nursery around the time it happened, and he wasn't with me in town as I was on my own and I definately remember he was still in nursery. So although I don't remember watching it at the time I do remember feeling weird being in Woolworths buying random ****, which must have been the next morning. It was quiet and there were not many people around and it was definately morning, so must have been the next day. On the day itself I probably watched the news coverage none stop ,as i'm a bit of a news addict anyway. Would have gone out to collect my son from nursery then come back home. One thing I DO remember a few days later was my son's dad; a useless alcoholic, who had had an argument with some friends. He said he was going to get a plane and fly it into his ex friend's house. Moron.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    A friend phoned me and asked if I'd heard about it.

ReputationRep:
    Oh. Gosh, I always thought it was on the news when I got up that morning. That's how I remembered it. Unless I went into town the following morning. I would have collected my son from nursery around the time it happened, and he wasn't with me in town as I was on my own and I definately remember he was still in nursery. So although I don't remember watching it at the time I do remember feeling weird being in Woolworths buying random ****, which must have been the next morning. It was quiet and there were not many people around and it was definately morning, so must have been the next day. On the day itself I probably watched the news coverage none stop ,as i'm a bit of a news addict anyway. Would have gone out to collect my son from nursery then come back home.
    I agree, it probably was the next morning.

But I bet half the people here don't actually remember as well as they think they do.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, it probably was the next morning.

But I bet half the people here don't actually remember as well as they think they do.
    Watching a news bulletin by the BBC or Sky from the day might jog my memory.

ReputationRep:
    I was in college back then to be honest didn't realize how tragic the news is until now that's i've seen a lot of documentaries about it. Sick Sick terrorist when will they stop?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.