Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dheorl)
    I'd genuinely love for you to produce one single source to back up your claims about how great the UK is from a tech standpoint.

And yes, stating there's worst countries seems obvious to the point of pointlessness, but equally there are a lot better countries for many people. You don't seem to like it when people say this though and I can't grasp why.
    Hmmm...the UK is consistently rated highhly in many indices. it's a lot more than e-payments, it's about state backing, infrastructure, e-government. to say the UK is *****y in these metrics compared to others is a bit silly.

https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/desi

But then you're rude, and claim you're intelligent but don't take in others' info. I dont get why you're responding, to tell me common/obvious points.

http://reports.weforum.org/global-in...adiness-index/

https://thegedi.org/global-entrepren...lopment-index/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexschmalex)
    In my 4 years of living in the UK and being on this website, I've found British people to be very miserable, classist, jealous, proud (not in the good way), xenophobic, inconsiderate, boastful, and generally on another planet. Obviously this isn't every British person, I love the friends I've made here, but too many people here are along those lines.

Frankly, I don't want to be stuck here in a **** job (horrible market for engineers), with my kids being judged for whether or not they go to a public or private school, me being judged for whether or not I make a decent living, people feeling it's their duty to tell me I don't need the things I enjoy in life because they don't have them, and this over prevalent idea that Muslims are to blame for the decline of British culture (afaik that's just going to pubs and laughing too loud, no thanks)

Again, this isn't a blanket statement applicable to each and every person here, and hell I'd even say a majority of the people here are calm. But I've seen enough of it on a real consistent basis to put me off living/being here, which is saying something since I was always so proud to have a British passport. The world is a big place, I really don't think it'll be hard finding somewhere that suits me better than the UK. For other people the UK might be ultimate goals and be all they ever wanted and more, that's cool too!
    nice stereotyping for a smart guy....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimkarsd)
    Hmmm...the UK is consistently rated highhly in many indices. it's a lot more than e-payments, it's about state backing, infrastructure, e-government. to say the UK is *****y in these metrics compared to others is a bit silly.

https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/desi

But then you're rude, and claim you're intelligent but don't take in others' info. I dont get why you're responding, to tell me common/obvious points.

http://reports.weforum.org/global-in...adiness-index/

https://thegedi.org/global-entrepren...lopment-index/
    In the sources you've linked the UK is 6th, 8th, and 9th, with other european countries being ahead of it. I never said the UK is *****y, but it's hardly king of the castle as you make out.

I'm responding because I don't like false information being spread on the internet. I don't think I'm being rude, maybe blunt, but that seems to be the only way to get through to you. I take others info when they actually supply it, this is the first time you've done so.

ReputationRep:
    In the sources you've linked the UK is 6th, 8th, and 9th, with other european countries being ahead of it. I never said the UK is *****y, but it's hardly king of the castle as you make out.

I'm responding because I don't like false information being spread on the internet. I don't think I'm being rude, maybe blunt, but that seems to be the only way to get through to you. I take others info when they actually supply it, this is the first time you've done so.
    hahahaha.....No, you're not, but you don't really offend me. you only single me out since you're a wimp, when i've posted nothing better nor worse...haha. do you dislike people defending themselves? or don't you have good social comprehension? or you like to silence me for whatever reason strikes your fancy? sorry, I won't let you.

You said the UK is poor in world terms, which is laughably. And I think being 6th out of all the EU (ahead of your Estonia or wherever) is pretty grand, is it not?

ReputationRep:
    hahahaha.....No, you're not, but you don't really offend me. you only single me out since you're a wimp, when i've posted nothing better nor worse...haha. do you dislike people defending themselves? or don't you have good social comprehension? or you like to silence me for whatever reason strikes your fancy? sorry, I won't let you.

You said the UK is poor in world terms, which is laughably. And I think being 6th out of all the EU (ahead of your Estonia or wherever) is pretty grand, is it not?
    I didn't say UK was poor, just that it wasn't the best, either in the EU or the world.

And singling you out? You started the thread, of course I'm going to respond to you. If you can't handle that maybe you shouldn't start threads on TSR. You can defend yourself all you want, I'm not trying to silence you, just get you to do what most people do in a reasoned debate and provide sources for their claims, so by all means, keep responding. Got any for London being the tech hub of the EU?

If you could stop trying to twist my words, make stuff up and make random assumptions about my motives though that would be appreciated, otherwise I'll simply report you.

ReputationRep:
    no, but it's pretty pathetic to see you follow me around to tell me how i should post, or what i can say. only because it offends you, but you're not manly enough to handle it or handle yourself, but cool. unless you're a mod, and dictate the rules here, i post as i like, and refer to you as i like. it' a free world, and you're some random bloke on a website/a stranger. i don't owe you anything, nor does anybody else.

ReputationRep:
    oh, and pretty nice i cannot express my view without you trying to silence me, but look here mr. educated..haha. https://digitalcityindex.eu/city/16

ReputationRep:
    no, but it's pretty pathetic to see you follow me around to tell me how i should post, or what i can say. only because it offends you, but you're not manly enough to handle it or handle yourself, but cool. unless you're a mod, and dictate the rules here, i post as i like, and refer to you as i like. it' a free world, and you're some random bloke on a website/a stranger. i don't owe you anything, nor does anybody else.
    Follow you around? Lol, it's been one thread, that you started, and I've replied it. Don't get ahead of yourself.

Nothing you've said offends me, like I said, I just don't like to see the spread of false information. God knows what your on about with "not manly enough to handle yourself". And you're right, you do post as you like, until you start to break forum rules (which your starting to do by "referring to me as you like".

Oh, and my flatmate from uni owes me a bit of money, as does my workplace, a mate and my mum. But no, as far as I'm aware you don't owe me anything.

ReputationRep:
    oh, and pretty nice i cannot express my view without you trying to silence me, but look here mr. educated..haha. https://digitalcityindex.eu/city/16
    That's a rank for startups. Startups alone do not make a tech leader.

ReputationRep:
    Because they're jealous of the greatest country in the history of mankind. Think about it.

ReputationRep:
    hahahaha...not really. but then i just ignore you, since you're a ****...haha. give me a reason I need to take you on? i post as i want, i don't need to care.
    Not really what? And take me on? What are you on about?

ReputationRep:
    lol...because you're powerless. You don't know who I am, and you try to lecture me on what to post. you're a stranger, go away. and possibly a bit of a loser of a man too. lol.
    Hey, if you want to post opinions with nothing to back it up that's your choice. I'm just bringing attention to that fact so people hopefully don't blindly accept whatever idiocy it is you're pedalling. Apparently though this is causing you to resort to petty personal insults. God knows why, but hey ho, I guess it was clear from the start I'd never quite understand you.

ReputationRep:
    Low pay, high taxes and hideous women especially in the North.

ReputationRep:
    haha...well no. you gang up with people here, and it's pretty pathetic, since it's an online forum, and you don't own this forum. perhaps go and think you're cool and try and prevent me. i'll just laugh at you since you're pathetic and not manly.
    I gang up? I don't even know anyone here. And you're right, I don't own this forum, but as you mention this is a public space, as long as you can stay within the rules (which you're not) you can say what you want. I'm merely saying, for the benefit of others who might read this thread, that what you're claiming is largely twaddle. I would have thought, being the "man" that you are, you could accept that without having to resort to whinging and personal insults.

Not quite sure why you see that as "pathetic and not manly", or are you also one of those people who likes to rant about "alpha males"?

ReputationRep:
    I gang up? I don't even know anyone here. And you're right, I don't own this forum, but as you mention this is a public space, as long as you can stay within the rules (which you're not) you can say what you want. I'm merely saying, for the benefit of others who might read this thread, that what you're claiming is largely twaddle. I would have thought, being the "man" that you are, you could accept that without having to resort to whinging and personal insults.

Not quite sure why you see that as "pathetic and not manly", or are you also one of those people who likes to rant about "alpha males"?
    Eh? well you act like you own this forum, since you try and tell me all the time how to post. and you warrant insults, since i don't like people especially random strangers directing what I should do. hence why i don't believe you're manly, since that's a pretty abnormal way to behave.

ReputationRep:
    Eh? well you act like you own this forum, since you try and tell me all the time how to post. and you warrant insults, since i don't like people especially random strangers directing what I should do. hence why i don't believe you're manly, since that's a pretty abnormal way to behave.
    I haven't tried to tell you how to post, I've merely pointed out you have no sources backing up your claims. If you want to carry on with baseless arguments that's fine, I just want to make sure "passers by" reading this realise that is what they are.

This is a discussion forum, I've merely been trying to discuss the topic in the OP. Not sure how that warrants insults but you've been reported for them and are clearly not going to stop and get back on topic, so unless you come up with an interesting point of debate I'm done. As for being manly, I don't really give a whoot. Sure, I've worked as a mountain guide, but I also love to cook, so I'm perfectly happy with any degree of "manliness".

ReputationRep:
    Cos its actually seriously **** outside of London, Bham and Manchester. The small regional towns dominated by white english tend to be the most lacking in culture, food, ambition, style, morality and although the weather doesn't help, is it seriously acceptable in 2016 to not be able to get a coffee after 7pm?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.