Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My sister's teacher is a racist?! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bones-mccoy)
    And you're too blind to see that institutional racism filters down into interpersonal racism in people's everyday lives. There is so, so much that white people will never understand about racism.
    No I'm not. I can see how that can work, and there is a valid discussion about how important an effect that is, and whether the effect in the UK is comparable in the UK to the obvious effect in the US.

However, I'm not foolish enough to believe that personal racism is absent in black people (I've linked to evidence of it) and that white people cannot suffer from it. You are saying this is impossible, which is quite obviously ridiculous.

This silly and regressive stance, which is for political purposes, merely makes you look foolish and prevents a meaningful debate from taking place which could allow progress to be made.

ReputationRep:
    The question isn't racist because at the time the belief was that enslaving people was the correct course of action and would make people civilised. It's like saying studying the history of WW2 is antisemetic.

(Original post by VMD100)
    The question isn't racist because at the time the belief was that enslaving people was the correct course of action and would make people civilised. It's like saying studying the history of WW2 is antisemetic.
    It was seen as the "white man's burden" to raise up "inferior cultures"* to Western values; however, slavery wasn't seen as the correct course of action (it was banned, even while whites remained very racist towards others), but simply as an extremely profitable industry, as it always had been. It was justified (by white slavers) by non-whites being less intelligent and less civilised**.

*Of course, we now know there is no such thing as inferior cultures; Western culture is no better than that of indigenous Africans, or Aztecs, etc.

**Of course, this is a lie, as we now know; non-whites are exactly equally intelligent and civilised as whites.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I think it's a pretty good question for a history essay. It gives students the scope to build a strong argument as to why slavery happened and how it was able to happen. History questions are always controversial in my experience, I had one once 'was Hitler successful?' or something and it's obviously not that my teacher agreed with his actions, but was giving us the chance to critically assess them.

There are no right or wrong answers in history, some people may well think that slavery was easy because Africans were less civilised back then and others will think differently. If you don't like controversial questions around sensitive issues, I would advise against studying history tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Has it escaped your attention that the Africans were enslaved by other Africans who then sold them to white men or Arabs? Or by Arabs directly?

They were generally not actually enslaved by white men. How is the enslavement of one black man by another a racist act? It is tribal, of course, but hardly racist.

That doesn't make the white traders innocent by modern standards, of course.
    You believe this to make yourself feel better.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compton Menace)
    You believe this to make yourself feel better.
    No. I believe it because it is a sensible conclusion from the evidence. I can't see how I would feel any different if the opposite were true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    No. I believe it because it is a sensible conclusion from the evidence. I can't see how I would feel any different if the opposite were true.
    go away
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by bones-mccoy)
    Again, no. As white people have never experienced racism, the notion of them dictating what is or isn't racist is absurd. It's like a man deciding if something is sexist or not. Stop trying to put words into my mouth.
    Are you for real? And as a woman, I can state that women are sexist towards men, and a man is just as able to judge what is sexist as I am. You are sexist in saying men do not have that capability.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.