Turn on thread page Beta

Eating Disorders- who is to blame? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eleenia)
    Yup, and eyesight problems, hair and teeth damage. I'd never wish to be thin again. love the lard.
    . I wish i could think like that. I still have more good days than bad at the moment. I'm much better at convincing other people about how harmful ED's are than i am myself.

ReputationRep:
    So what proportions of blame would people devote to genetics, the media. peer pressure, and themselves (will-power)?

ReputationRep:
    not much to genetics in my opinion like 2%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    So what proportions of blame would people devote to genetics, the media. peer pressure, and themselves (will-power)?
    I don't think willpower is the problem. Some people with ED's have amazing will power not to eat, but can't do the same when it comes to eating.

People are very difficult to put quantitative figures onto when it comes to emotional things. I would hate to guess numbers because everyone is different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    . I wish i could think like that. I still have more good days than bad at the moment. I'm much better at convincing other people about how harmful ED's are than i am myself.
    It'll get better for you, hun. And there will be good and bad days. I wish I could give you more advice, but for me I found that it sort of wore off very, very, gradually. How long have you been a sufferer?

ReputationRep:
    It'll get better for you, hun. And there will be good and bad days. I wish I could give you more advice, but for me I found that it sort of wore off very, very, gradually. How long have you been a sufferer?
    I've suffered from depression since i was 16, and the ED came out of that. It only got to the point where i noticed it in the last year. When i stopped self harming i needed something else to replace it (the control thing). And i guess food was that thing. Its less noticeable than self harm so people presume everything is fine. Most of the time its ok. Well my ok is other peoples bad. But i cope as best i can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    I've suffered from depression since i was 16, and the ED came out of that. It only got to the point where i noticed it in the last year. When i stopped self harming i needed something else to replace it (the control thing). And i guess food was that thing. Its less noticeable than self harm so people presume everything is fine. Most of the time its ok. Well my ok is other peoples bad. But i cope as best i can.
    I know this is a bit of a random question, but do you have pushy parents? You said in your first thread that it was linked to being an over-achiever and I was wondering if your ever felt that if you fail academically then you will be letting them down.
    The reason I'm asking is because although it's so hard to define where my eating disorder really came from, I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that I was doing my MA at the time and I couldn't concentrate on it because of depression. I was so worried and conscious of doing badly that looked for something else to be an "over-achiever" at - dieting and excercise.
    So i guess, to make this relevant to the thread and not just self-indulgent drivel I think that's one way an eating disorder can arise and in my case I don't think it had anything at all to do with the media, just my own perfectionism.

ReputationRep:
    I know this is a bit of a random question, but do you have pushy parents? You said in your first thread that it was linked to being an over-achiever and I was wondering if your ever felt that if you fail academically then you will be letting them down.
    The reason I'm asking is because although it's so hard to define where my eating disorder really came from, I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that I was doing my MA at the time and I couldn't concentrate on it because of depression. I was so worried and conscious of doing badly that looked for something else to be an "over-achiever" at - dieting and excercise.
    So i guess, to make this relevant to the thread and not just self-indulgent drivel I think that's one way an eating disorder can arise and in my case I don't think it had anything at all to do with the media, just my own perfectionism.
    No, i don't have pushy parents at all. I've always wanted to do medicine (for my sins). Which is unfortunate for me because its not the sort of career you can follow unless you have a strong academic side. Which i had, but has been lost in this whole mess. My mum is a very laid back "as long as your happy i'm happy" kind of mum. So it hasn't come from there at all. Its about my self image, the fact that i push myself so hard that i collapse. I push myself harder than i would ever push anyone else, but its had the opposite affect. I've always been a perfectionist like you, and i think that definitely made things worse. Its taken me a long time to learn that i don't have to be good at everything. Just because i've learnt it doesn't mean i've accepted it. Or that i like it. I have this constant battle with myself about trying to do what is expected of me but by my own standards, that have been impossible to reach for a long time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    No, i don't have pushy parents at all. I've always wanted to do medicine (for my sins). Which is unfortunate for me because its not the sort of career you can follow unless you have a strong academic side. Which i had, but has been lost in this whole mess. My mum is a very laid back "as long as your happy i'm happy" kind of mum. So it hasn't come from there at all. Its about my self image, the fact that i push myself so hard that i collapse. I push myself harder than i would ever push anyone else, but its had the opposite affect. I've always been a perfectionist like you, and i think that definitely made things worse. Its taken me a long time to learn that i don't have to be good at everything. Just because i've learnt it doesn't mean i've accepted it. Or that i like it. I have this constant battle with myself about trying to do what is expected of me but by my own standards, that have been impossible to reach for a long time.
    I can relate to every word of that. I want to give advice, but I know how hard it is to change the way you about these things, if that's just the way you are. Maybe it comes with time?

ReputationRep:
    a lot of people like to blame the media on eating disorders. In a way, yes, the media is to blame--for showing off Hollywood actresses who are extremely skinny, and implying that in order to be the hottest person alive, you have to be a size 0.
    but people shouldn't put the full blame on the media. there are other factors too.
    Overeating is one of those factors. But it is not overeating alone that causes obesity. It is overeating and then sitting yourself down in front of a TV or computer, instead of going out for a walk or a bike ride. It doesn't help either that a lot of the jobs nowadays are jobs where people sit in front of a computer all day, instead of jobs where people can move around (and therefore keep the extra pounds off). In my opinion, the only reason child obesity is such a problem is because a lot of children prefer to play their Nintendo or Playstation games over a game of baseball on a sunny day. And while they play Paper Mario, they eat--junk food.
    Another factor is eating disorders such as anorexia and bulimia. Those, however, are classified as mental disorders. Anorexics and bulimics can't control how they view themselves--the chemical imbalances in their brains cause them to see themselves as obese, even when they are sickly thin. Depression is another mental disorder that causes an eating disorder--overeating, in this case. Food becomes a source of comfort to a depressed person, so they eat more.
    Peer pressure (which causes the low self-esteem that causes people to go on diets) and bullying are another factor. In the 11 years I've been in school, I've seen many an overweight kid get picked on because of their weight. Many others see this too and want to avoid such a fate, so they do their best to stay thin, so they at least won't get picked on.
    And then there's metabolism and genetics. Some people are able to eat a lot and yet stay thin because they have a high metabolism, while others have to watch their weight. That's just the way things are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    I too used to suffer from the exact same mental compulsion. I have complete sympathy with your problem, and I realise how sensitive the whole situation can be. For four years I underate and pushed myself to multi-task beyond being wise. This year I reached a period in my life where I literally said "enough is enough". I would have to say that meeting new people who loved/liked me for who I am (terribly clichéd, but true) brought about that key ingredient to complete recovery - self love. Whether it's unconditional or not, time will tell.

Critical and pushy friends caused me to live like this, as well as critical family members when I was a kid. Probably the media guff had an influence too, but it was mainly immediate circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    I work selling stuff next to a swimming pool and let me just say that people are generally stupid when it comes to dieting.

"I want two packages of Bacon Crisp one Cornetto, chocholate flavour, a hot dog with crisp-fried onions, and a diet coke" Duuuuuuuuuuuuh!!!

Also a couple of days ago I saw this womman who basicly looked as if she had just been liberated from one of the Holocoust camps. I could see every bone in her spine through the skin. Now, you can hardly blaim the media for their comercials in this case. I mean, when was the last time you saw a bikini-model where all the bones showed through the skin?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    there always seems to be opinions that the media are to blame, and to some extent i agree- but i think one area has been overlooked. pretty much every week there is stuff on the news and in serious papers with statistics ike '1 in 3 children are obese', young people will hear this and realise that they maybe have a couple of friends slimmer and they can suddenly get the idea that they in fact obese when they're not. they will then get into the habit of crash dieting and from then on eating disorders develop.

i also think shops make it very hard to recover from eating disorders- places like woolworths do offers such as '4 for 99p' on chocolate bars... so it seems sensible to take advantage of it and before you know whats happening you're binging.

these are my own opinions and i'd be interested in others (feel free to shred them to bits)

lou xxx
    Media scmedia! From having spent 9 months in a secure unit I can say, hand on heart that those with a severe problem didn't develop it through media influence1 The media may be responsible for poor diet, but not EDs as such.

It's about control, not self worth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    I don't think willpower is the problem. Some people with ED's have amazing will power not to eat, but can't do the same when it comes to eating.

People are very difficult to put quantitative figures onto when it comes to emotional things. I would hate to guess numbers because everyone is different.
    Totally agree - sufferers of EDs are the most driven people, and stubon to boot!

I still have to be careful - from anorexia I progressed to bulimia, and from there to haveing a complusive excersize disorder. You find otherways to get the same result - especially when things like a phone call or the chance to go to the shops is dependent on it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    Definitely. And infertility, heart problems etc aren't "advertised" either.
    I think Karen Carpenter managed the latter fairly well! ...

It's not nice to come to terms with the fact that you will probably never have kids, especially when your partner wants a family... I guess well cross that one at a later date.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you can really blame shops for 4 for 99p offers or whatever because at the end of the day people have a choice... but the kind of thing that annoys me is the way that cheap and healthy foods are cut-up, bunged in a plastic packet and charged at extortionate prices. Hmmm.... fruit salad for £3 or mars bar for 40p. Tricky decision.

ReputationRep:
    Self:
    * Eat too much in the first place, imo if someone is overweight, there usually is little excuse. I have the opinion despite people saying it's good to be curvy, evidence points that being overweight increases well most diseases and chance of dying before you could.
    * Having a unhealthy attitude to food. People eat loads of stuff at once that are bad for you it's disgusting then they go on a diet, and eat nothing again good for you.

Genetics:
    * Maybe their is "good genetics". I'm not convinced entirely but eat healthy, and you've done your best but if you eat healthily you are likely to look it. It's like, who's seen a fat vegetarian? Not that I'm implying they are all healthy.
    * I do believe that some people are far more inclined to be less confident in their bodies. It has been prooved that people can get down as they have imbalances.

McDonalds...:
    *Maybe not quite McDonalds alone but fast food and proccessed foods that are easily advertised and avaliable make healthy eating less likely.

Media:
    * Seeing slim models, actresses and singers praised and successful can only turn those 'inclined' to feeling a failure and how much better things would be if they were slim. Really, the levels they have gone to to get themselves looking like that is sick, healthy eating is all you need, and when they've done that, so what? I suppose having a media showing slim people is good, showing fatter people would give the impression again, that it is a really positive thing to be big, and it isn't as I mentioned earlier.

I'm so happy that people watch Channel 4's "You are what you eat", it's so nice to see that viewers and the people on it are really learning, and the results are fab.

ReputationRep:
    depression

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rts)
    depression
    and other things. sucummbing to peer pressurre isn't always depression

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    and other things. sucummbing to peer pressurre isn't always depression
    i don't think the majority of eating disorders are to do with peer pressure, i think it is due to depression. which may or may not be caused by peers.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.