Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Black 13 Year Old Shot Dead Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liviward36)
    x
    So racism in the past means that every single shooting of a black person in the present is motivated by it? I agree that a lot of white cops in the US may have subconsciously racist feelings, but those who try to tie these in to every shooting seem to be more concerned with advancing an agenda or proving a trend than caring about the specific facts of the case.

There are perfectly explicable alternatives for why the officer was so quick to react. The BB gun had no distinctive markings on it, and, as we can see from the image in the OP, looks very similar to the pistols carried by that police department. The officer had been pursuing three armed suspects on foot after a robbery - there was no question that these men were dangerous and that the officer was on edge.

Indeed, the BB gun was later found to have been used as a fake in the robbery. If the officer was aware that a pistol resembling the BB gun was being wielded, then that would have only increased his confirmation that this kid was somehow involved in that. The extension of that thought must have been even more worrying - where were the other two men? Was this an ambush? If not, why was the kid pulling out a gun the second he saw an officer? My point is that this was a highly charged situation where the cop fell compelled to make a split second decision, and all the factors (including any subconscious racist biases) pointed towards the kid being a threat.

I agree with the sentiment of the posters who say that he should have delayed for a second or two, but even that carries risks. You don't know if there's another immediate threat you're not aware about. The child may try to jump out of the way, forcing you to expend more bullets to shoot him (which is more dangerous due to the risk of ricochet and the fact that you're going to have to shoot him multiple times). You also know that it only takes a second for someone to raise the weapon and fire blindly in your general direction, something which forces you into making a snap decision.

I think that an important point that you omitted in your last paragraph is that guns are also part of what makes cops go so much on edge in certain neighbourhoods. However, and this is an issue for another debate, I doubt very much that gun control would have helped in this particular case. Even if it was successful, a full restriction on weapons would only lead officers to presume that those openly carrying them are criminals who are doing so illegally. This would mean that, if the cop genuinely thought that the BB gun was a genuine weapon, that the kid (and this applies to adults as well) was some sort of criminal who had no legitimate use for it.

Other than pointing out "racissmmmm", the only viable solution to this unfortunate death would be to ask cops to take a second before shooting, make BB guns brighter/different colours or shapes, and warn kids not to play with them outdoors or in the presence of the police.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    This isn't a movie if the officer went for a non lethal shot he would still likely have been **** himself even if he somehow managed to hit the target.
    Yeah it was a suggestion dont get all triggered

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSR Mustafa)
    Yeah it was a suggestion dont get all triggered
    I'm not triggered I just point out that thinking like that is stupid and would likely get more officers killed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    I'm not triggered I just point out that thinking like that is stupid and would likely get more officers killed.
    Non lethal shot would render the kid unable to fire , it requires better accuracy but it's not impossible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    don't BB guns legally have to have that bright neon orange tip so you know it ain't real?
    Don't people legally have to not rob and kill people?

ReputationRep:
    Non lethal shot would render the kid unable to fire , it requires better accuracy but it's not impossible.
    Trust me cowboy, shooting at someone's legs is not a viable option when they are a threat! Their arms and hands won't just turn to jelly if somewhere else is injured - they will retain the capacity to shoot back

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TelAviv)
    Trust me cowboy, shooting at someone's legs is not a viable option when they are a threat! Their arms and hands won't just turn to jelly if somewhere else is injured - they will retain the capacity to shoot back
    Lol cowboy , well if you say so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    Don't people legally have to not rob and kill people?
    trutru that too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    don't BB guns legally have to have that bright neon orange tip so you know it ain't real?
    I remember that one case where the guy took off that orange bit so one would have to assume it was a gun. He was shot when he was pointing it at random people. The BLM mongs jumped all over it anyway. People are often too stupid to grasp that in America - where everyone is armed - that one split second hesitation and you're dead.*

Can't embed as on phone but watch this:

*https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yfi3Ndh3n-g

An anti-cop protestor agrees to undergo scenarios where police might shoot people. He soon learns why it's really stupid what these anti-cop people are doing. And fair play to the guy. He had the balls to test his views and straight up admitted after that he was wrong. This should be compulsory viewing *

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liviward36)
    Educate yourselves.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.82cd46083c7e

I really can't believe I live in a world where people are saying a child deserved to be murdered - because that's what it is. If this was a white child, without a doubt, this would be equally wrong! But the issue here lies in the institutional racism within America. There is undoubtable an issue and if you say otherwise you are wrong. Read a history book on American civil rights and tell me that there is progress. Ignoring racism won't make it go away. Educate yourselves first.

And don't get me started on America's lax gun control.
    I haven't seen anyone on this thread say the child deserves to die, merely that the officer's reaction was appropriate.

ReputationRep:
    https://www.pfoa.co.uk/110/shooting-to-wound

ReputationRep:
    play stupid games win stupid prizes

ReputationRep:
    I am a skill at arms instructor, and that gun looks real enough to me. I can completely understand why this happened from the policeman's point of view. What I cannot understand is why the boy, knowing that the gun he had was not real, would even go for it when the police where pointing guns at him. Was he going to throw it at them? If the boy had been unarmed then I might wonder of racism was a factor given current events, but to me it sounds like a justified shooting, regardless of the colour of the boy's skin.

For those that say they should have shot him in the leg - that doesn't stop someone from shooting back. To do it properly you would need to hit the arm, and not just anywhere in the arm. Have you ever fired a real gun? I have never fired a pistol, but I know they are not as accurate as a rifle, which I have fired, and at any kind of range it isn't easy to hit a target as small as a forearm. Doing it in the dark? That would be some fancy shooting.

ReputationRep:
    I expect the usual riots and violence..

But look, it was a mistake anyone could make.

They rushed the boy to hospital. If it was murder, they wouldn't have done that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gwagon)
    Not in America. But here in the UK, they go the extra mile and paint the guns orange everywhere lool.
    Actually in America I'm almost certain they have to have the muzzle painted orange or another bright colour whereas in the UK its very easy and legal to get hold of ones that look like exact replicas with no bright colours painted anywhere on them.

ReputationRep:
    Robbery suspect pulls something that looks exactly like a gun, get's shot by cop in split second decision. It's tragic that the kid was only thirteen and wasn't really armed, but the result was understandable.

Guns are everywhere in the US and the cops there know it. About 50 cops are killed every year on average. They don't like taking chances.

Did it have anything to do with him being black? I really don't think so. In that situation, pull a gun (or something that looks just like one) on a police officer and you're running a high risk of getting shot, no matter what colour you are.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    Yes and no, in the UK it depends what licences you have

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Yes and no, in the UK it depends what licences you have

Posted from TSR Mobile
    In the US, you have to have an orange tip as far as I am aware, but you can easily take them off. In the UK if you have no licence then it needs to be painted orange, but you can easily paint that so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crijjkal)
    Will BLM take hold of this event to further their agenda ?
    This is really rich....

Considering you are the one who decided to thread this, with the baity all caps "BREAKING" prelude, as if it's some extraordinary event. Who really has an agenda here?

:bebored:

ReputationRep:
    Anyway I've read the article and there is not enough information to make a judgement. It's not very convincing for anyone yet alone a 13 year old to pull a weapon on an officer, chances are the cops found it after they killed him or he was trying to hand it over and the cop got trigger happy.

What I really want to know is they were actually responsible for the robbery. Because the alleged victim would have gave a description that would have specified age. Now if he stopped these kids when he was supposed to be looking for men, then clearly this is another deadly case of racial profiling.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.