Non-binary at 10 year old

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dodgypirate)
    I couldn't help but laugh at that BBC article.

I'm sure his parents had a say in this.

Just like that person (woman) who revealed he/she/they/whatever was "agender"... please.
    How much do you want to bet that they're some middle-class hippies?

ReputationRep:
    Let me catch my 10 year old son/daughter saying their non-binary.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serah.exe)
    There's a difference between gender, and biological sex.
    Let them live their life ffs, they're not personally affecting you.
    (Original post by lostintrnslation)
    let the kid live, it's their identity, not yours.
    Have I said anything about not letting this kid live their life? I'm not advocating that anything should be done to the kid.

You guys should seriously calm down.
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    Alright love
    No need to be patronising.

You could at least provide an argument.

ReputationRep:
    They will when they're diagnosed with a mental disorder and are helped by the NHS
    I'm outta here if I hit the 40% tax mark.

(Original post by Pulse.)
    Let me catch my 10 year old son/daughter saying their non-binary.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What will happen if you do? :mmm:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Would you come out as an attack helicopter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'absurde)

I sure hope so. Being open about sex doesn't encourage rape because you can have sex and not rape people.
    (I guess you could argue that one could also be a paedophile and not engage in sexual relations with a child).
    Yes, but their attraction to children is kinda fixed...Nothing shows promising. (If you have data that says otherwise then please show me). So this whole "let them seek help" is just wishful thinking.
    Perhaps castration or some kind of medication that severely lowers libido would be the answer?

ReputationRep:
    Have I said anything about not letting this kid live their life? I'm not advocating that anything should be done to the kid.

You guys should seriously calm down.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    no, I wasn't addressing that directly at you

No need to be patronising.

You could at least provide an argument.
    no point arguing with a wall !!

ReputationRep:
    I don't personally understand how someone ends up feeling non-binary - it's beyond my imagination or my empathy radar. But I acknowledge that is due to a failing on my part - it's not that I deny it exists or think it shouldn't exist :nah:

I do think that if someone is non-binary, that they can probably feel that at a very young age. I think this kid is gonna get a lot of stick from school-aged peers but as long as they are vaguely mentally prepared for that, there is no harm with identifying as non-binary at that age :nah:

ReputationRep:
    Too young to be making that kind of decision.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

no point arguing with a wall !!
    I respect the fact that you identify as a wall... how brave of you, especially when you're getting so much hate directed towards you and your kind because of Trump. Tragic.

ReputationRep:
    I respect the fact that you identify as a wall... how brave of you, especially when you're getting so much hate directed towards you and your kind because of Trump. Tragic.
    LMAOOO nice one :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingBradly)
    Perhaps castration or some kind of medication that severely lowers libido would be the answer?
    I think they already use that. Works for some of them. Not sure how many are compliant though.

ReputationRep:
    So many identities these days... The way I stand is the following: if people want to behave in a certain way, then by all means let them. Just because you're born male it doesn't mean you need to act like a typical male does, and vice versa. But what grates me is why people insist so much on having new identities for every single slight variance that we come across, I don't know why some people are so averse to accepting what biological sex they are. Just because you don't want to behave like a male, it doesn't mean you aren't one. But if you don't want to act like one then great - don't! So for this example, I don't see what the problem is with saying "I'm a female who sometimes behaves like a male", rather than "I'm not a male or female". It doesn't mean people will be more or less accepting, or that you have to change your behaviour, it's just acknowledging basic biology (biology that doesn't have to dictate the way you behave). If you want me to call you "he" then that's fine, of course I will, but that's far away from actually being a male, and there isn't any problem with that, I wouldn't judge you any differently either way.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, but on the website it says...

"We are not aware of any promising methods for eliminating pedophilic attractions and developing sexual interest in adults."
    Sure, but considering there has almost certainly been a lack of research into it that's not surprising.
    Still better to have a culture that prevents the majority from these urges as best as possible, having them on the radar, than not doing anything and letting negative influences pick them up.

ReputationRep:
    Personally at the end of the day, they can identify as what they want idgaf.
    However, when it comes to official documents etc, they can't change their biological sex and they have to say what they biologically ARE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JRKinder)
    So many identities these days... The way I stand is the following: if people want to behave in a certain way, then by all means let them. Just because you're born male it doesn't mean you need to act like a typical male does, and vice versa. But what grates me is why people insist so much on having new identities for every single slight variance that we come across, I don't know why some people are so averse to accepting what biological sex they are. Just because you don't want to behave like a male, it doesn't mean you aren't one. But if you don't want to act like one then great - don't! So for this example, I don't see what the problem is with saying "I'm a female who sometimes behaves like a male", rather than "I'm not a male or female". It doesn't mean people will be more or less accepting, or that you have to change your behaviour, it's just acknowledging basic biology (biology that doesn't have to dictate the way you behave). If you want me to call you "he" then that's fine, of course I will, but that's far away from actually being a male, and there isn't any problem with that, I wouldn't judge you any differently either way.
    How bigoted! Have you met Milo...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JRKinder)
    Moreover, most of these people believe that the ideas about how males and females behave are antiquated anyway, and therefore their behaviour should have little baring over which gender they identify with.

ReputationRep:
    What's wrong with just being a girl who doesnt want to wear dresses and play with dolls? At 10 years old that's all it is!

Instead of living a normal life as a "non girly girl" her parents have forced this "non binary" BS on her. So aslong as she keeps this up she's going to be labelled a freak and a weirdo. I'd say this borders on child abuse.

I've said it before but it's people who use terms such as non binary who are responsible for enforcing male and female stereotypes and saying that males only play with guns and toy cars and girls only play with dolls and dresses.

Get rid of this non binary BS and accept the fact that girls don't have to be girly and guys don't have to be ladish

ReputationRep:
    I've got news for you – I don't care.

No thanks, I'll exercise my right to free-speech.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm actually scared of the direction we're heading in. We can't discuss certain topics anymore or have certain opinions?
    *free speech

Considering you've taken the time to read the original news article, then go to an internet forum and make a thread about it while commenting "why can't kids be kids anymore ffs!", replying to comments about the topic for over two hours, and manage to somehow bring paedophiles into the topic, it's pretty obvious you *do* care about it. It's not that you don't have the right to comment on the subject, it's more just the point of why you are doing it. There was no point in posting this thread, and you should just leave people to do what makes them happy, as long as it's legal (had to leave that in there so you couldn't bring paedophiles into the equation again).

You clearly have to much time on your hands

ReputationRep:
    Thank the modern day feminist SJW liberals for these made up terms.
    They literally don't exist.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 20, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.