B1056 – Corporal Punishment for Serious Criminal Offences Bill 2016

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Section six defines the punishments for the crimes. It does not say that the punishments are additional to prison sentences or other punishments, so they are not.

This silly bill effectively sentences murderers and rapists to a good whacking and freedom.
    But it does not say that the punishments are not additional to prison sentences or other punishments either. If this bill were to replace the punishment for whatever offence from imprisonment to just caning, surely, provisions from other legislation will need to be amended or repealed, which this bill does not do. In sentencing, a judge should see this as an addition to existing sentences, or you would have contradicting sentences in different pieces of legislation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unown Uzer)
    or you would have contradicting sentences in different pieces of legislation.
    And that is why each crime is dealt with under one coherent piece of legislation, with one sentence defined. People are, rightly, not convicted of two crimes and given two punishments for one offence. Your silly idea means the CPS could choose to prosecute a rape under this legislation only.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unown Uzer)
    We are dealing with issues that matter to this country today. Crime is a serious issue in the United Kingdom, and this bill takes a tough stand against crime to make Britain safe again!
    I've never understood where all this "again!" shtuff comes from. Britain is safer now than it ever was previously. unless you can provide stats to state otherwise, or were you around back in the 19th century?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Our parents and grandparents must me superhuman and harder than violent criminals then

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Survivorship bias m8y

ReputationRep:
    5.6 - The equipment and all that will be inspected, great, but by whom?

Also is there no bit on post-caning? I read on an article online that sometimes some kind of antiseptic gel is appliied to prevnet infection.

Finally, what kind of court can sentence an individual for caning?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoggyCabbages)
    5.6 - The equipment and all that will be inspected, great, but by whom?

Also is there no bit on post-caning? I read on an article online that sometimes some kind of antiseptic gel is appliied to prevnet infection.

Finally, what kind of court can sentence an individual for caning?
    A UKIP court of course!

ReputationRep:
    What a load of arbitrary, barbaric rubbish, this will do nothing to deter offenders and there is zero logical basis to the requirements proposed to the number of strokes and the size of the cane. I would have hoped UKIP of all parties wouldn't want to turn the UK into Saudi Arabia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RomanBowling33)
    I would have hoped UKIP of all parties wouldn't want to turn the UK into Saudi Arabia.
    Might I direct you to what is commonly known as horseshoe theory?

ReputationRep:
    UKIP standard - "why look at the evidence?"

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Survivorship bias m8y
    Your answer to everything is survivorship bias, if this is so care to show us the millions killed in a relevant time span due to caning? Didn't thinks so.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Your answer to everything is survivorship bias, if this is so care to show us the millions killed in a relevant time span due to caning? Didn't thinks so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Survivorship bias is the one thing ignored by the most intelligent people, that's why I end up mentioning it a lot, though I'm being facetious here and don't actually think you're wrong (I don't know - though I will say that if you are wrong, it's likely there won't be much in the way of evidence).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Survivorship bias is the one thing ignored by the most intelligent people, that's why I end up mentioning it a lot, though I'm being facetious here and don't actually think you're wrong (I don't know - though I will say that if you are wrong, it's likely there won't be much in the way of evidence).
    If I am wrong there will be a lot in the way of evidence, we will see hundreds of thousands of children killed in schools for one, and we would have seen not only abolition of corporal punishment in schools much sooner, but basically a total ban on striking people, combat sports betting banned, and anybody caught fighting on the streets done for attempted murder or some ****.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What is up with these ludicrous bills? Nay.

ReputationRep:
    You lot just wanna pass this trash and then apply for a job at a woman's prison, don't you?

ReputationRep:
    Hong Kong has an identical crime rate to Singapore and Hong Kong does not have corporal punishment.

So unless you can show at least a correlation, you gave no arguments whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    Hong Kong has an identical crime rate to Singapore and Hong Kong does not have corporal punishment.

So unless you can show at least a correlation, you gave no arguments whatsoever.
    Plus even then, correlation is not causation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)

That assumes that the two are otherwise identical, it's like using the gun homicide rate alone to justify taking away people's guns rather than looking at how homicidal the country is as a whole.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That assumes that the two are otherwise identical, it's like using the gun homicide rate alone to justify taking away people's guns rather than looking at how homicidal the country is as a whole.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So what you're saying is UKIP believes Singapore and the UK are identical (thus Singapore's example can be applied to the UK, even without looking into the reason for SG's low crime rate)?

And all that while Hong Kong, a city state like Singapore with a much closer racial makeup, industry, political and geographical situation, economy, and history is too different from SG to even be used as an example to be sceptical of the use of SG as a justification?

...OK.

ReputationRep:
    This bill has gone to a second reading.

Updated: September 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Wake up and smell the...

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.