Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Democracy 101

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mojojojo101)
    Again you are relying on hope to get the system to work properly, to me that isnt good enough. Many representitives vote solely based on what their whip tells them to and if we think that the general population cannot have both broad and deep understanding of thousands of different issues its strikes me as unrealistic to expect representitives to either, after all they are just people liek us right?

There already is a service that holds and distributes un-biased information, it's called the Commons library. First step would be to expand that to act as a public service for all. Secondly I think there needs to be much better access to research papers and publications. Many now are locked behind huge pay walls that mean most individuals are denied access to this information because they are too poor, that is unnaceptable to me.

That said, this willmall be useless if the education system is not seriously reformed. Currently the education system does very little to foster academic curiosity or rigor favoring instead to get students through tests to fluff numbers. Academic enquiry needs to be put att tje heart of education or else no amount of information will help people make decisions as they wont be capable of examining it in a reasonable manner.

It's more realistic to get hundreds of people informed than millions.

I wouldn't imagine representatives know much either but if you have things like the Commons library, select committees and parliamentary debates then chances are they'll be more educated about what they're voting on than the general public.

You could open these up to the public though I doubt this will change much. Most people don't have any greater interest in politics beyond what is on the front of a newspaper and even if they did very few people would actually have the time to get invested into the hundreds, sometimes thousands, of laws passed every year.

If we lived in an academic utopia where people were interested and had the time then I'd see direct democracy as a lot more useful. The fact is that we don't, which is why we delegate this to representatives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHallowvale)
    It's more realistic to get hundreds of people informed than millions.

I wouldn't imagine representatives know much either but if you have things like the Commons library, select committees and parliamentary debates then chances are they'll be more educated about what they're voting on than the general public.

You could open these up to the public though I doubt this will change much. Most people don't have any greater interest in politics beyond what is on the front of a newspaper and even if they did very few people would actually have the time to get invested into the hundreds, sometimes thousands, of laws passed every year.

If we lived in an academic utopia where people were interested and had the time then I'd see direct democracy as a lot more useful. The fact is that we don't, which is why we delegate this to representatives.
    I actually think that problems like voter disengagement with politics, alienation from the process and a lack of interest in general are made worse by a representative system, again that is further reinforced by the capitalist economy and extremely puritanical attitude to work prevelant in this country.

I know utopianism is generally frowned upon these days but i really dont think the cruahing pragmatism of todays political discourse is at all helpful. If we want to solve big problems, we need big ideaa.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not particulalry bothered outside of it's an idea that doesn't work and isn't backed up by any kind of evidence, was just the firdt hot button issue that came to mind.

Also, you say I should vote for someone else, provided May doesn't call a GE (she won't), when exactly should I do that? In 4 years time, when the policy is already implemented? Sure you could reverse it but that doesn't get back all the time wasted and children's educations disrupted because a so called representative government chose to pursue a policy with no mandate, no evidence of efficacy and no popular support
    It's a political publicity stunt which will almost certainly be blocked, I don't think it undermines bed the case for representative government .

ReputationRep:
    I actually think that problems like voter disengagement with politics, alienation from the process and a lack of interest in general are made worse by a representative system, again that is further reinforced by the capitalist economy and extremely puritanical attitude to work prevelant in this country.

I know utopianism is generally frowned upon these days but i really dont think the cruahing pragmatism of todays political discourse is at all helpful. If we want to solve big problems, we need big ideaa.
    What big problems are not being solved because we have a representative democracy over a direct one?

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.