Why won't boys read books written by a woman?

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medhelp)
    erm
    most of the universities I've looked at the m:f for medicine is almost 50:50 with female actually being slightly higher, idk about the other degrees I know computer science seems to be mostly male.
    Men (well still boys really if you're honest) are dropping out of higher education on mass. Split pretty much across the board is 2/3 female to 1/3 male as graduates. Some fields like psychology are pretty much totally female dominated now. Half the primary schools in the UK have no male teachers. Because a man that want's to work with young children obviously must be a peado. I'm not saying this is a good or bad thing, It's just a thing, a trend.

Not just comp.sci. women really (not all, but in general) don't like anything heavily mathematics based. Also women tend to be **** at chess for the same reason :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 303Pharma)
    Men (well still boys really if you're honest) are dropping out of higher education on mass. Split pretty much across the board is 2/3 female to 1/3 male as graduates. Some fields like psychology are pretty much totally female dominated now. Half the primary schools in the UK have no male teachers. Because a man that want's to work with young children obviously must be a peado. I'm not saying this is a good or bad thing, It's just a thing, a trend.

Not just comp.sci. women really (not all, but in general) don't like anything heavily mathematics based. Also women tend to be **** at chess for the same reason :bawling:
    why are they dropping out? I thought men liked working and getting $$ so they get hoes?

lol idk what the chess part is supposed to mean. I wonder why alot of women don't like maths cause I do, I know a lot of girls who take it - more than physics anyway. Psychology is scientific ft random bull**** essays, it was my least favourite AS subject absolutely disgusting and so confusing. Clinical Psychology is fun though.

I bet there are more male authors writing in the genres and styles that males like to read.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medhelp)
    why are they dropping out? I thought men liked working and getting $$ so they get hoes?

lol idk what the chess part is supposed to mean. I wonder why alot of women don't like maths cause I do, I know a lot of girls who take it - more than physics anyway. Psychology is scientific ft random bull**** essays, it was my least favourite AS subject absolutely disgusting and so confusing. Clinical Psychology is fun though.
    Some psychology is legit, solid, hard evidence science based. Like proper double blind, peer reviewed, brain scan papers. Not much though, most is woowoo ****. Many that's what you mean by clinical psych. Certainly more legic than sociology magical projection.

Apparently chess plays to the parts of the neurology and biochemistry that make boys (again, in general) better at maths than girls. Boys good at maths, tend to (in general) be good at chess too, and boys with a talent for chess, tend to find maths really easy also.

<citation needed!> no but, think i read about it in Nature, or Scientific American.

But seriously, there is such a wealth of evidence from both human studies and animal modelling of the effect of biology of behavioral traits, the 'social conditioning' hypothesis is utterly annihilated by anyone in all conscience curious about the field, scientifically interested in the field. It's utterly nullified to anyone with a straight face.

ReputationRep:
    I dont think many people look at the author and go hmm a man this must be good or hmm a woman this is terrible.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know which boy's you know about...but me personally, I'll read any book that fascinates me regardless of the author !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I was reading an article on jk Rowling (who wrote Harry Potter) and it said that with her first book she was advised not to reveal her gender as boys would not read a book written by a woman?

I can't think why this would be though. I'm female and read books wrote by male authors when I was younger. It surprised me as I can't think why it would matter so just wanted to ask the guys would you have read books written by a women when you were younger if they had a good storyline?
    I just have read a good written book by a woman. I don't care about the gender as long as the storyline and the writing awakes my interest to read. In spite of that all the books I have read yet were written by men. Could be that it has something to do with my interest in classics. *

ReputationRep:
    doesn't apply to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    I dont think many people look at the author and go hmm a man this must be good or hmm a woman this is terrible.
    Think so too. Readers with a good sense for writing would never judge a book by the gender. The gender has not an influence on writing. **

ReputationRep:
    maybe women can't write

ReputationRep:
    I don't think a kid is really gonna take the author's name into consideration so it was likely publishers just being dumb as hell

ReputationRep:
    Try asking them if they have read the harry potter series.

ReputationRep:
    They do

ReputationRep:
    that is written by JK rowling, a woman

ReputationRep:
    BEcause women belong in the kitchen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 303Pharma)

I think the highlighted is largely a result of two phenomena; one social and one biological. The social side is that there has been a huge drive over the past 20 years to specifically encourage women to go to university, as a fight against the perceived 'patriarchy'. This is especially apparent in STEM fields.

The biological side is that (and I say this tentatively, as there could be new research I'm unaware of that shows this to be wrong) most research into the differences between male and female intelligence has shown a really interesting trend. The intelligence of both men and women follows a normal distribution (or bell curve), with the same mean intelligence but a greater standard deviation in men than in women. In other words, there seem to be more very intelligent and very unintelligent men, than there are women. This would explain why more women go to university, and yet men continue to outnumber women at the very upper echelons of most fields e.g. FTSE 100 board members, politicians, leading scientists etc.

Of course, the actual research is stymied by the fact that there is no political will to discover the truth, if the truth is that there are fundamental differences between male and female intelligence, so I wouldn't expect anything to be proved definitively any time soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I was reading an article on jk Rowling (who wrote Harry Potter) and it said that with her first book she was advised not to reveal her gender as boys would not read a book written by a woman?

I can't think why this would be though. I'm female and read books wrote by male authors when I was younger. It surprised me as I can't think why it would matter so just wanted to ask the guys would you have read books written by a women when you were younger if they had a good storyline?
    Complete nonsense. Who said so? I haven't seen anyone like that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LonUsk)
    maybe women can't write
    Always a matter of reader's taste. Have read books written by women yet. Liked them as a man what proves they are able to write indeed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathMoFarah)
    It's because 5-12 year old boys are all like 'ewww girls' for some reason:s
    Spoiler:
    Show

people always fear what they don't understand
    "Ew you kissed a girl, you're sooo gay" :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Sexism innit.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 4, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.