Aberdeen Medicine 2017 Entry

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emir Imran)
    What are the chances that I'll get an interview at Aberdeen? I did my reading and my UKCAT score isn't really the greatest but after looking at Aberdeen's cut-off score for an interview, I feel like maybe I might stand a chance.

IGCSEs: 7A*, 2As
    IB Predicted Grades: 43/45
    UKCAT: 630 Avg (1890/2700)

In the official UKCAT website, I'm in the 5th decile though. I hope I can get an interview offer at the very least! Then, focus on the interview itself next.
    You have really good grades, your UKCAT score isn't the highest but it definitely shouldn't stop you from applying - to be honest you wont really know how your UKCAT is until they release the data - 630 some years is very low and some years it's about average so you just don't know unfortunately The year I got in some of my friends who also got in only got around 620 average and they were fine, but I know someone else who got rejected who got 690 in the same year, so really it's a combination of everything but seeing as you have excellent grades you should score fairly well at aberdeen

ReputationRep:
    I really hope so too! I hope my grades can level it out for me, considering that the lowest offer made by Aberdeen last year was indeed 620 Avg (2480). 630 Avg is like ... just right above

I just hope the national score would allow Aberdeen to lower the cut-off scores too because once, there was a rep from Aberdeen who came over and said this year it would definitely rise because there was one less component to deal with. Not sure what she meant though 😅 I just hope it's all good for my application.

ReputationRep:
    What are the chances that I'll get an interview at Aberdeen? I did my reading and my UKCAT score isn't really the greatest but after looking at Aberdeen's cut-off score for an interview, I feel like maybe I might stand a chance.

IGCSEs: 7A*, 2As
    IB Predicted Grades: 43/45
    UKCAT: 630 Avg (1890/2700)

In the official UKCAT website, I'm in the 5th decile though. I hope I can get an interview offer at the very least! Then, focus on the interview itself next.
    They don't really have a cut off, and they pay more attention to your grades so you should definitely apply because you've good grades. Funny how my IGCSE and IB is exactly the same as yours 😂

ReputationRep:
    Just got the 'we have recieved your application and are reviewing it now' letter, really hope I get an interview though, only got 1850 UKCAT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Irukandji5)
    Just got the 'we have recieved your application and are reviewing it now' letter, really hope I get an interview though, only got 1850 UKCAT
    Do they unis email you separately? I just sent my application to UCAS today so a bit unsure. x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuba123)
    Do they unis email you separately? I just sent my application to UCAS today so a bit unsure. x
    I got a letter in the post and an email specifically from Aberdeen saying we've received your application and similar emails from 2 other unis I applied too then they convey interview info via UCAS track in think where else you applied?!!

ReputationRep:
    I got a letter in the post and an email specifically from Aberdeen saying we've received your application and similar emails from 2 other unis I applied too then they convey interview info via UCAS track in think where else you applied?!!
    When did you send your application? And Glasgow, Dundee and Edinburgh

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuba123)
    When did you send your application? And Glasgow, Dundee and Edinburgh

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I sent my application around the 7th? It'll probably take about 3-5 days for them to get back to you. And awesome, I've gone for HYMS, BSMS and UCL, Aberdeen is very very up north for me

ReputationRep:
    I got my track ID and they gave me an option to change one of my targeted universities but only ONCE. I kinda think I wanna put Aberdeen back in my list replacing QUB because I got some assurance that my scores would be fine from my peers. But I honestly don't know though ...

Current: Bristol, Liverpool, Nott, QUB
    New (Maybe): Bristol, Liverpool, Nott, Aberdeen

GCSE Equivalent: 7A* 2A
    IB predicted grades : 43/45 points
    UKCAT: 630 Avg (1890/2700 & SJT Band 3 :/)

I'm really confident with my PS and not so much on UKCAT, hence Bristol, Liverpool and Nottingham. I've got like 5 days left to change my university via Track. Any ideas if I should make the change? Help

ReputationRep:
    I sent my application around the 7th? It'll probably take about 3-5 days for them to get back to you. And awesome, I've gone for HYMS, BSMS and UCL, Aberdeen is very very up north for me
    lol, it is! All the best

ReputationRep:
    I got my track ID and they gave me an option to change one of my targeted universities but only ONCE. I kinda think I wanna put Aberdeen back in my list replacing QUB because I got some assurance that my scores would be fine from my peers. But I honestly don't know though ...

Current: Bristol, Liverpool, Nott, QUB
    New (Maybe): Bristol, Liverpool, Nott, Aberdeen

GCSE Equivalent: 7A* 2A
    IB predicted grades : 43/45 points
    UKCAT: 630 Avg (1890/2700 & SJT Band 3 :/)

I'm really confident with my PS and not so much on UKCAT, hence Bristol, Liverpool and Nottingham. I've got like 5 days left to change my university via Track. Any ideas if I should make the change? Help
    I applied Bristol too for the same reason!!! If you have good PS then simply go for it. Aberdeen is just a gamble to be honest!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cookarawrcha)
    I'm applying as a graduate, hopefully a 2:1 MEng in Biomedical Engineering

My stats are

UKCAT
    VR: 640
    QR: 770
    AR: 590
    Average: 667, band 2

Highers: AAAAB
    Adv highers: ABC (chem, bio, maths)

I have a fair bit of work experience/extra curricular stuff but if they don't look at it until interview that's not much help if my grades don't make the cut... Do you think I have a chance?? I thought Aberdeen was my best shot
    Hey did you end up applying here? I am also a graduate, 1st in Medical science and 723.3, Band 1 UKCAT.

ReputationRep:
    You know how it's possible for a low ukcat to get an interview, do you have to have academics like 10A*'s and predicted 3a*'s or does anyone have an idea of how good your academics have to be to compensate a low ukcat?

ReputationRep:
    im applying form England and theres only like 32 places fml ! but it looks sooooo good !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Member1995)
    Hey did you end up applying here? I am also a graduate, 1st in Medical science and 723.3, Band 1 UKCAT.
    Yep, now just playing the waiting game...

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! When does Aberdeen give out their interviews? And when are these interviews held?

International applicant here! ✋🏼

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miloinmyblood)
    Hey guys! When does Aberdeen give out their interviews? And when are these interviews held?

International applicant here! ✋🏼

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Interviews usually given out in November, and are carried out from (late?) November to February I think

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, last year I received my invitation to interview on the 11th of November and I had the option of choosing an interview date from various days in November through to mid February.

Any Aberdeen medics on this thread on the medics football team?
    6ft 4 chap who feels very comfortable as a centre half, deep midfielder or target man!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maestro Michael)
    Yeah, last year I received my invitation to interview on the 11th of November and I had the option of choosing an interview date from various days in November through to mid February.

Any Aberdeen medics on this thread on the medics football team?
    6ft 4 chap who feels very comfortable as a centre half, deep midfielder or target man!
    Not on the team but here's their Facebook page if you feel inclined to have a creep through it! https://www.facebook.com/aberdeenmedicsfootballclub/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Senseireynolds;[url="tel:68093510")
    68093510[/url]]im applying form England and theres only like 32 places fml ! but it looks sooooo good !
    Also an English applicant (graduate) - I did NOT know there were such few places for English students 😭.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 9, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.