Black lives matter or All lives matter?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Another)
    Involuntarily twitching after being shot, and or saying "I can't breathe", isn't resisting arrest
    No but running off before hand might be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JavaScriptMaster)
    The "BlackLivesMatter" campaign didn't come up out of nowhere, it was in response to the shootings in America by the police, they killed over 100 unarmed black men in 2015.
    But they killed more whites, I dont get it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacarch12)
    But black people PROPORTIONALLY also commit more crime.
    I can't get through to you. You can always justify things if you want to.

ReputationRep:
    And when you don't run (or can't run, because you've just been told to pull over), you still deserve to die?

ReputationRep:
    And when you don't run (or can't run, because you've just been told to pull over), you still deserve to die?
    But whites are killed more. Nobody deserves to die, what are you suggesting? That I am saying they deserve to die? No I am saying nobody does, so why is there a focus on blacks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mavrick388)
    No, its not about "getting through to me" Why do these people think its okay to destroy communities, loot and burn down business in the name of black lives when more whites die anually to police.

Do you not see the flaw in that logic?

Proportionally blacks commit more crime therefore proportionally more shootings happen, whites are killed more overall, why is there a reverse racism going on like white people dont have to face police brutality too?

ReputationRep:
    This, I am of the opinion that they are either trolling, very biased or just not very bright.

ReputationRep:
    I would run too. In fact if i had a gun i would definitely use it. It's me or the officer.You would run too if there was every chance you would get shot. And there are a lot of cases where the 'detainne' was fully compliant (Seen from vids) and still ends up losing their life.

ReputationRep:
    All lives matter.

Unfortunately some people think it is acceptable to point a gun at a police officer and expect not to be killed for it in a country with one of the highest homicide rates in the world. In many cases these are simply police officers doing their jobs (quite well).

Then there are the cases where unarmed people are killed, which are tragic and do definitely deserve proper disciplinary action - imho the problem is not what is happening but what happens after the fact... Even with video evidence the officers often get away scott free.

Overall BLM is generally ridiculous, they often protest justified shootings, and then we have those fighting for "black only" spaces in universities etc. MLK must turn in his grave ._. the movement has a solid basis but, like anything on the internet, tends to shout the loudest over nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    I would run too. In fact if i had a gun i would definitely use it.
    gee i wonder why they get shot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drummerz)
    This, I am of the opinion that they are either trolling, very biased or just not very bright.
    And this is the kind of attitude of non listeners that wont try and see another side, do you know if I am black? oh wait...

ReputationRep:
    I would run too. In fact if i had a gun i would definitely use it. It's me or the officer.You would run too if there was every chance you would get shot. And there are a lot of cases where the 'detainne' was fully compliant (Seen from vids) and still ends up losing their life.
    Go for it then man. Not following the law makes you a criminal and you deserve the consequence of pulling a gun at a Police officer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Waifuism)
    gee i wonder why they get shot
    oh **** off. You would rather die? Are you really that thick to have that amount of trust in a stranger with a gun. You've never been in such a situation, you don't understand.

ReputationRep:
    oh **** off. You would rather die? Are you really that thick to have that amount of trust in a stranger with a gun. You've never been in such a situation, you don't understand.
    Exactly what Bernie Sanders said, and look at the fella now. I'd rather trust the police than test my chances on pulling a gun in the off chance they may be crooked.

ReputationRep:
    But whites are killed more. Nobody deserves to die, what are you suggesting? That I am saying they deserve to die? No I am saying nobody does, so why is there a focus on blacks.
    You're basically saying that because white people are unfairly killed as well, that everyone should forget about it and treat it as a non issue, and no one has the right to complain

A lot of people (well probably, 99% of people) are so adamant in shutting down or condemning BLM protests by saying "All lives matter", yet they won't do a damn themselves to actually see the end of police brutality. I would have a lot of respect for the hypothetical person who rejects BLM in favour of actively trying to overhaul the American legal system so fewer innocent people die on the streets. However to my knowledge, said hypothetical person does not exist.

Unless you are actually organising protests yourself for "All lives matter" and broadcasting every unfair death at the hands of police or the death penalty, pipe down.

ReputationRep:
    Go for it then man. Not following the law makes you a criminal and you deserve the consequence of pulling a gun at a Police officer.
    There's no law when you're ****ing dead. I hope you're a troll because if you're not, God forbid you every get yourself into a dangerous situation.

ReputationRep:
    Its not to say black lives matter more than any other, but from the recent police brutality in the US where its apparent black people are treated worst in many cases, the whole movement was to open peoples eyes to this and say hey, just cos they're black doesn't mean you can treat them like shite, their life matters

That's it. its literally trying to create more equality for black people in a place that is clearly lacking it. its not trying to detract any meaning to other lives.

ReputationRep:
    I just want to add something to the discussion, Black lives matter in the USA has some reasoning.

Black lives matter in the UK is utterly useless.

ReputationRep:
    of course i trust the US police force, why must you dehumanize them? they are people just like you

put yourself in their shoes: how likely are you to shoot someone? because 99% of people don't want to shoot another human being and i doubt becoming an officer of the law suddenly makes you "less than human" as people like you seem to see them

ReputationRep:
    You're basically saying that because white people are unfairly killed as well, that everyone should forget about it and treat it as a non issue, and no one has the right to complain

A lot of people (well probably, 99% of people) are so adamant in shutting down or condemning BLM protests by saying "All lives matter", yet they won't do a damn themselves to actually see the end of police brutality. I would have a lot of respect for the hypothetical person who rejects BLM in favour of actively trying to overhaul the American legal system so fewer innocent people die on the streets. However to my knowledge, said hypothetical person does not exist.

Unless you are actually organising protests yourself for "All lives matter" and broadcasting every unfair death at the hands of police or the death penalty, pipe down.
    Do you hear yourself, 99% of people dont care? You need to come down to Earth. Many people care hence why I am saying all lives matter.
    I'm sorry I cant tear down an establishment that large, just not part of my daily schedule really.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 4, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Would you prefer to be told about sex by your:
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.