Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Taking Further Maths as a 5th A level? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Himtiaz)
    I'm thinking natural sciences, medicine or just physics. I got 10 A*s at GCSE but i've heard that its like 10x harder at A level so i'm a 7-8/10 for top grade
    For medicine there will not be any benefit in taking further maths. You already have 4 subjects and many unis don't recognise FM as separate to just maths.

I actually did all 5 to A2 but I only stuck with FM because it was a tiny and very enjoyable class. If you're doing it just for fun then no one can fault you but bear in mind for medicine you'll be needing: lots of work experience and voluntary work, you'll need to do the UKCAT, you might need to do the BMAT, and you'll (hopefully) have up to 4 interviews to prepare for and attend. You also need to ensure you meet any offers you get, which can be up to A*A*A (and will be at least AAA). The free time you describe now would be very useful!

For physics it probably is worth taking further maths - its a recommended subject at a number of unis.

(Original post by carolinehj)
    Firstly, medicine is one of the most competitive courses to possibly apply for, doing 4 a levels would definitely give you the edge over others.
    That is not the case.

For some evidence, we can look at one of the most competitive unis in terms of applicant to offer ratios: Oxford. You can see from the data on their page below that the average offer holder actually has less A-levels than the average applicant, and that more than half of offer holders are only doing 3 A-levels.

https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/me...cal/statistics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    For medicine there will not be any benefit in taking further maths. You already have 4 subjects and many unis don't recognise FM as separate to just maths.

I actually did all 5 to A2 but I only stuck with FM because it was a tiny and very enjoyable class. If you're doing it just for fun then no one can fault you but bear in mind for medicine you'll be needing: lots of work experience and voluntary work, you'll need to do the UKCAT, you might need to do the BMAT, and you'll (hopefully) have up to 4 interviews to prepare for and attend. You also need to ensure you meet any offers you get, which can be up to A*A*A (and will be at least AAA). The free time you describe now would be very useful!

For physics it probably is worth taking further maths - its a recommended subject at a number of unis.

That is not the case.

For some evidence, we can look at one of the most competitive unis in terms of applicant to offer ratios: Oxford. You can see from the data on their page below that the average offer holder actually has less A-levels than the average applicant, and that more than half of offer holders are only doing 3 A-levels.

https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/me...cal/statistics
    What did you get at the end of A2.
    Do you have any tips/advice for me when taking these subjects?

ReputationRep:
    What did you get at the end of A2.
    Do you have any tips/advice for me when taking these subjects?
    I got 5As. I would have got 3A* 2A if A*s had existed in my time :shakecane:

Nothing in particular. The normal advice about using past papers etc. They have a reasonable amount of overlap which is useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    I got 5As. I would have got 3A* 2A if A*s had existed in my time :shakecane:

Nothing in particular. The normal advice about using past papers etc. They have a reasonable amount of overlap which is useful.
    Do you think you would have got 4 A*s if you hadn't of taken further maths

ReputationRep:
    Probably no point, 5 subjects is overkill, most unis only give offers for 3 a levels so even 4 would probably be overkill. You need work experience etc for medicine not someone who studies all day and has no work experience

ReputationRep:
    Do you think you would have got 4 A*s if you hadn't of taken further maths
    Probably not - I only just scraped an A in biology.

It might have improved my grade a bit though, who knows. This is about you and your specific circumstances, not mine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.