Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

My parent is having an affair, what do I do. :(

ReputationRep:
    Anon, it's around our age where we see our parents for the idiots they truly are. That's why I've started to distance myself where I can, if you're not involved then you shouldn't get tangled up in the mess. But yeah, just try to avoid it as much as you can. At the end of the day: it's his life to **** up how he wants.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Anon, it's around our age where we see our parents for the idiots they truly are.
    Speak for yourself.

My parents aren't idiots.

Never were.

They're infact easily the best people I know.

I will feel forever grateful to have been raised by two people who love me so profoundly.

+ I'd be nothing without them.

It's inexcusable but understandable.

Hurtful but forgivable.

(Original post by Andy98)
    At the end of the day: it's his life to **** up how he wants.
    Uh no.

We are all members of one body.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anon_98)
    If you're that incapable of reading a few sentences then commiserations + I wish you a smooth recovery.

Oh right so my parent is betraying his children, his life + absolutely everyone + everything ever + you're telling me that I'm getting myself "more worked up than I need to be".

+ here I was proud of the fact I had remained composed in the entirety of that post.

I'm so angry that I'm not angry.

Angry at how he could even go through with such an act when he knows how difficult I am finding everything right now.

When he knows that I can't cope.

He is supposed to be here for me.

For us.

I don't care if you think his world does not revolve around me bc he's my parent so it essentially does.

Or it should.

He is aware of the fact that I'm pretty much alone in all this but I am clearly in no way important enough to make him stop.

He is going to be leaving so soon + the least he could do is wholly be here for me now.

Bc it will be so hard without anyone.

I'm dreading it.

+ he knows that.

The only way I would ever be able to take charge of this predicament is if I behaved in an unruly manner.

It's pathetic + from experience, it's the only thing that works.

I don't wish to resort to desperate measures.

Besides, he knows exactly what it's like for a child to have to go through divorce + he doesn't care.

He is going to be the cause of a broken family + all he can think about are his desires.

There is no sense of guilt + HE DOESN'T CARE.

Bc he never does.

It's his fault that I've remained at home today.

His utter selfishness is wreaking havoc.

But no, that's completely right. - I'm exaggerating.

Gaahhhhhh.

Maybe you're speaking the truth.

Maybe I should just stop caring.

Maybe I care too much.

Maybe I don't care at all.

Maybe I don't know.

Maybe no one knows.

Maybe I should invite the pair of them to participate in sex in my fricking bedroom.

That is infact a marvellous idea.

I'll permit you to take credit.

Let's do it.

Call the lawnmowers.

18. - Not that I believe it makes any difference to the scenario at hand.

Pretty sure my situation is explained explicitly in the OP.
    No need to be so salty
    That s how writing usually goes.. with paragraphs. It s by far and away the easiest way to read sth

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    tl;dr

ReputationRep:
    It is very difficult to judge what is going on in another person's relationships - no impossible. So you just keep out of it otherwise you risk sounding ridiculous.

For all you know Stem is thrilled your Dad is 'amusing' his wife. It may keep her out of his hair. He may be gay ; he may have had enough of her, they may be in an open relationship. He may be turning a blind eye to the whole thing. You are making judgments about something you may know very little about. She may be happily shared between the 2 of them. They may be laughing over your discomfiture as we speak. The possibilities are endless.

It really is none of your business - unusual and complicated things happen in relationships and it is no one's business but those people in the relationship. You wouldn't be happy about someone poking their nose into your personal relationships would you?

(Original post by pickup)
    It is very difficult to judge what is going on in another person's relationships - no impossible. So you just keep out of it otherwise you risk sounding ridiculous.

For all you know Stem is thrilled your Dad is 'amusing' his wife. It may keep her out of his hair. He may be gay ; he may have had enough of her, they may be in an open relationship. He may be turning a blind eye to the whole thing. You are making judgments about something you may know very little about. She may be happily shared between the 2 of them. They may be laughing over your discomfiture as we speak. The possibilities are endless.

It really is none of your business - unusual and complicated things happen in relationships and it is no one's business but those people in the relationship. You wouldn't be happy about someone poking their nose into your personal relationships would you?
    Disagree. It is her business because she is directly affected by the actions of her father. That said she runs the risk if she deicdes to get directly involved. There are only a few options and the outcomes of them could make things much worse. two of them have been partially tried to no effect, which leaves just one. That has the risk of really exploding.
    She knows her own minds so its pointless offering advice as she is unwilling to take any.

ReputationRep:
    Speak for yourself.

My parents aren't idiots.

Never were.

They're infact easily the best people I know.

I will feel forever grateful to have been raised by two people who love me so profoundly.

+ I'd be nothing without them.

It's inexcusable but understandable.

Hurtful but forgivable.
    I admit an affair is nothing compared to the **** that goes down on my dad's side of the family; but even so it's a stupid thing to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pickup)
    For all you know Stem is thrilled your Dad is 'amusing' his wife.
    Excuse me whilst I vomit.

Are you deliberately trying to provoke me.

For all you know the speck of dust that is currently sitting on your wall painting is secretly plotting to murder Sir Lancelot.

You are making judgments about something you may know very little about.
    No. That'd be you.

+ those 'possibilities' you've described above have a 0.00000000% chance of being in accordance with reality.

They may be laughing over your discomfiture as we speak.
    I do not know what company you keep but not a soul on this entire earth would ever do that to me.

It really is none of your business
    That's where you're wrong.

You wouldn't be happy about someone poking their nose into your personal relationships would you?
    You're talking as though I'm the Pope's long lost dog from the depths of Bulgaria.

If I hadn't mentioned it enough times, I'm his daughter.

Does that compute.

+ I wouldn't care if it was a relationship in which I know I should not be part of.

I literally stayed in the kitchen from, like, 12am-4am the other day FOLDING PRETTY PAPER ALL DAMN NIGHT to avoid her.

I would've totally slept in there too if I could.

But of course, it's not my business.

What exactly has to occur in order for it to be classed as my business.

Petal.

Should've named her soil. :cry:

ReputationRep:
    I am sorry about the circumstance you are in. Hope it all works out.

I dont understand though why when people tell you to move on with you're own life an forget about it: you get really angry
    Then when people suggest something you should do, you dont respond or you get angry.

?

+ remeber: just because someone suggests something you could do that you dont like dosent mean you attack them. Everyboy deals with a situation differently, they tell you advice if you dont like it forget it, if you do then thank them and take it.

ReputationRep:
    your rant is an English teachers dream, all that analysing that could be done.

also just tell stem.

ReputationRep:
    x
    Whilst I do agree that your father having a secret relationship with someone else's wife is not only extremely stupid and immoral and of course Stem needs to know about this I'm not entirely sure that it is your place to tell him. Ideally your father should be pursuing affection with a single woman, not a married one; but at the end of the day they're both adults and they both understand the consequences of their actions so you'll just have to let them get on with it. As far as I understand the OP your parents aren't married so it's not like he's being unfaithful to your mother or anything (which is a completely different thing altogether)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0100100101001101)
    I dont understand though why when people tell you to move on with you're own life an forget about it: you get really angry
    edit: ok.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: October 2, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.