Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Surely this is nationalism rather than racism? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    Indians and Pakis have a long and noble history of hating each other. Stupid little man should have known better than to run his mouth in such a public sphere though.
    Pretty much this.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riyaaaaa)
    Okay but they're different races. Also, never say that in front of an Indian or a paki 😂
    So which distinct races do, at least the majorities in, each country represent?

ReputationRep:
    > implying the two are somehow mutually exclusive

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riyaaaaa)
    So Indians and Pakistanis are NOT the same people... Pakistanis are different than Indians in genetics, overall genetic composition, religion, culture, rituals, linguistics, dress, diet, ethnicity, governance, pre-history, civilization, race, complexion, geography, philosophy, script, cuisine, music, entertainment, soico-politics and economies.
    And most of this happened in the last century. When discussing the wider history of the two nations, there are more similarities than differences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0to100)
    It's not racist because they are the SAME race.

And Indians aren't a race, it's a nationality

So it's like a Korean bashing Chinese

that ain't racist.

It's nationalism

The Guardian purposefully misusing words for their liberal rhetoric and website hits :facepalm2:
    Implicit racism, how nice.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yudothis)
    Implicit racism, how nice.
    So which distinct races do the majorities of each nation belong to then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    People shouldn't be fired for having opinions the management don't agree with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    So which distinct races do the majorities of each nation belong to then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well Pashtun for one, are there even any in India?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yudothis)
    Well Pashtun for one, are there even any in India?
    Not even a sixth of the population of Pakistan, and yes there are.

ReputationRep:
    Still more than 10% and you only asked for distinct groups. I gave you one.

I am sure if one googled, one would find many more examples

ReputationRep:
    I see 19th century racial theory is still alive and well.

Races quite simply don't exist. The idea that there are distinct sub-species of humanity is pseudo-scientific nonsense. Racial differences exist on a continuum, and people ascribe social, cultural and political significance to them.

(Original post by Zamestaneh)
    I would argue they aren't the same race anymore, although they are very closely related - if they were the same, one wouldn't be able to distinguish the two; if there was a line of 20 Pakistanis and Indians with the same haircuts and beards etc, I would be able pick most of them out just by looking at them.

It would be more accurate to say that Pakistan is a multi-racial nation, and so is India, rather than just being two races, but the pool of races differ such that you can make distinction between Indians and Pakistanis with only some overlap - for example a Pathan or a Kashmiri looks nothing like someone from Goa or even Delhi, and even within India itself, I as a Punjabi look substantially different frm others around India.
    (Original post by Zamestaneh)
    I would argue they aren't the same race anymore, although they are related - if they were the same, one wouldn't be able to distinguish the two; if there was a line of 20 Pakistanis and Indians with the same haircuts and beards etc, I would be able pick most of them out just by looking at them.

It would be more accurate to say that Pakistan is a multi-racial nation, and so is India, rather than just being two races, but the pool of races differ such that you can make distinction between Indians and Pakistanis with only some overlap - for example a Pathan or a Kashmiri looks nothing like someone from Goa or even Delhi, and even within India itself, I as a Punjabi look substantially different frm others around India.
    You made the same post twice...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    You made the same post twice...
    Thanks, my TSR has been playing up recently so I didn't realise the first one had gone through

ReputationRep:
    Punjabis, Sindhis and Pashtuns combined make up about 85% of Pakistani's population, but are only <5% of India's population. So you cannot realistically say they're the same ethnicity or race.

ReputationRep:
    My mum's friend who is Pakistani asked if she was a Brahmin (uppermost caste in Hinduism). My mum said no. The friend said, "You know they drink cow piss" my mum said she knew, but wasn't laughing at that like the friend was.
    This seems to be a common thing with Pakistanis thinking Indians are cow piss drinkers for a laugh :rolleyes:

This hatred probably stems from the butchering of Muslims in India by Hindu fundamentalist groups idk

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.