The Student Room Group

Birmingham Medicine 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nickynjoe
At first I loved Newcastle but my UKCAT score wouldn't be high enough to apply because they're so heavy on it, I think Hull York, Birmingham, Liverpool/Sheffield, Bristol or Cardiff and I've started looking at Nottingham as well :smile: I can't chooseeee!!! :smile:

I would say not Cardiff as their main criteria is GCSEs and the cut offs have been 8-9 A*s for the past few years:frown: (I have 6A*s too!). Hull-York, Birmingham and Liverpool would be good choices. Sheffield is a bit more UKCAT heavy, so it might be a bit more risky and Bristol is always difficult as it uses personal statement (but it's sooo nice!!) It's so hard to decide :frown:
I know its so difficult, I feel unsure on all of my choices because 6 is like in the middle, i feel all of them are quite risky :frown: im finding it impossible to choose, what about nottingham?? Would i be okay applying there do you think?? Aw i never knew sheffield was heavy on UKCAT now, would i not be able to apply there now?? Thank you for your feedback, its really helpful :smile:
I know its so difficult, I feel unsure on all of my choices because 6 is like in the middle, i feel all of them are quite risky :frown: im finding it impossible to choose, what about nottingham?? Would i be okay applying there do you think?? Aw i never knew sheffield was heavy on UKCAT now, would i not be able to apply there now?? Thank you for your feedback, its really helpful :smile:

Nottingham give a mark for each UKCAT subset, SJ band and 8 GCSEs so you need to be a bit of an all rounder! Sheffield's cut off for 2016 was 677, so it's a bit borderline, but if you like it give it a go! That' alright, still cant decide for myself though haha:colondollar:
Original post by emelinaw
Yes definitely if you like the course /uni! The cut off last year was 6.17, though most with interviews had 8+. I got a similar score to you and i'm applying:biggrin:

Hey,

I got a score of 7.667 and I sent my application in today.
When you say 'most with interviews had 8+', what do you mean? Surely if the cut-off was 6.17, they read all the candidates' statements who scored above that to decide who to call for interview?

I don't mean to sound defensive, I'm just curious how you know that since its got me worried slightly :colondollar:
Original post by aRandomGuy
Hey,

I got a score of 7.667 and I sent my application in today.
When you say 'most with interviews had 8+', what do you mean? Surely if the cut-off was 6.17, they read all the candidates' statements who scored above that to decide who to call for interview?

I don't mean to sound defensive, I'm just curious how you know that since its got me worried slightly :colondollar:

According to the website:
"For selection for interview in 2015 applicants needed to have above 6.17 as a total application score. The table below indicates, for 2015 applicants, the proportion of applicants selected for interview within each score range. 73% of those invited for interview in 2015-16 received a score of 8 and above.

6.17 - 6.9 8%
7.0 - 7.9 19%
8.0 - 8.9 34%
9.0 - 9.9 29%
10 10%

Hope this helps:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Okay then thank you for all of your advice!! I was just wondering if you think my application would be strong enough to apply for nottingham or not, thank you, its absolutely fine if youre not sure😊😊
According to the website:
"For selection for interview in 2015 applicants needed to have above 6.17 as a total application score. The table below indicates, for 2015 applicants, the proportion of applicants selected for interview within each score range. 73% of those invited for interview in 2015-16 received a score of 8 and above.

6.17 - 6.9 8%
7.0 - 7.9 19%
8.0 - 8.9 34%
9.0 - 9.9 29%
10 10%

Hope this helps:smile:

Ahh thank you so much for making that clearer! Hopefully, cut-offs won't rise too much and 7.677 will still be a competitive score.

Good luck!
Ahh thank you so much for making that clearer! Hopefully, cut-offs won't rise too much and 7.677 will still be a competitive score.

Good luck!

I'm sure it will be! Where else are you applying?
Okay then thank you for all of your advice!! I was just wondering if you think my application would be strong enough to apply for nottingham or not, thank you, its absolutely fine if youre not sure😊😊

You can calculate what score you'd get, I'm not sure exactly what the cut offs are though. It kind of depends what you got for each subset for example I got 800 for QR but to get into the top scoring band you need 801 (:angry:) so I would get the same score as someone who got 700. So as you can see there's a bit of discrepancy depending on your exact subset scores.
I'm sure it will be! Where else are you applying?

Cardiff, Leicester, Liverpool. Wbu?
hi i just sent in my application today
applying to Newcastle, Bham, Liverpool and St Andrews
8A* 2A 1B at gcse
predicted AAA
ukcat average- 663
my score on the calc is 7.458
i really hope i get an interview here as i think i will be rejected from newcastle due to high ukcat boundary!!!
Cardiff, Leicester, Liverpool. Wbu?

Definitely Liverpool and then maybe Sheffield and QMUL/Barts but it's so hard to choose!!!
Reply 52
I understand typical offer for Birmingham is A*AA. Would it be worth applying with predicted grades AAA? Anyone.
Definitely Liverpool and then maybe Sheffield and QMUL/Barts but it's so hard to choose!!!

We're applying to similar unis. Do keep in touch via PM!
Original post by Maz A
I understand typical offer for Birmingham is A*AA. Would it be worth applying with predicted grades AAA? Anyone.

On their website, it says applying with AAA is fine.
Reply 55
On their website, it says applying with AAA is fine.

Oh right I thought with the typical offer being A* AA it would be advisable for me not to apply there with pred. grades of AAA, thx.
We're applying to similar unis. Do keep in touch via PM!

Sure, I'll let you know if I get any interviews!!
Hi guys,
would a score of 6.87 get interview?
Original post by Kantth1
Hi guys,
would a score of 6.87 get interview?

Well, the cut off last year was 6.17 so most likely, yes.
Is applying with a 6.5 score even worth it? I got 7A*s and 3 As as well as a really low UKCAT of 610.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending