Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Birmingham Medicine 2017 entry Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nickynjoe)
    At first I loved Newcastle but my UKCAT score wouldn't be high enough to apply because they're so heavy on it, I think Hull York, Birmingham, Liverpool/Sheffield, Bristol or Cardiff and I've started looking at Nottingham as well I can't chooseeee!!!
    I would say not Cardiff as their main criteria is GCSEs and the cut offs have been 8-9 A*s for the past few years (I have 6A*s too!). Hull-York, Birmingham and Liverpool would be good choices. Sheffield is a bit more UKCAT heavy, so it might be a bit more risky and Bristol is always difficult as it uses personal statement (but it's sooo nice!!) It's so hard to decide

ReputationRep:
    I know its so difficult, I feel unsure on all of my choices because 6 is like in the middle, i feel all of them are quite risky im finding it impossible to choose, what about nottingham?? Would i be okay applying there do you think?? Aw i never knew sheffield was heavy on UKCAT now, would i not be able to apply there now?? Thank you for your feedback, its really helpful

ReputationRep:
    I know its so difficult, I feel unsure on all of my choices because 6 is like in the middle, i feel all of them are quite risky im finding it impossible to choose, what about nottingham?? Would i be okay applying there do you think?? Aw i never knew sheffield was heavy on UKCAT now, would i not be able to apply there now?? Thank you for your feedback, its really helpful
    Nottingham give a mark for each UKCAT subset, SJ band and 8 GCSEs so you need to be a bit of an all rounder! Sheffield's cut off for 2016 was 677, so it's a bit borderline, but if you like it give it a go! That' alright, still cant decide for myself though haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emelinaw)
    Yes definitely if you like the course /uni! The cut off last year was 6.17, though most with interviews had 8+. I got a similar score to you and i'm applying
    Hey,

I got a score of 7.667 and I sent my application in today.
    When you say 'most with interviews had 8+', what do you mean? Surely if the cut-off was 6.17, they read all the candidates' statements who scored above that to decide who to call for interview?

I don't mean to sound defensive, I'm just curious how you know that since its got me worried slightly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aRandomGuy)
    Hey,

I got a score of 7.667 and I sent my application in today.
    When you say 'most with interviews had 8+', what do you mean? Surely if the cut-off was 6.17, they read all the candidates' statements who scored above that to decide who to call for interview?

I don't mean to sound defensive, I'm just curious how you know that since its got me worried slightly
    According to the website:
    "For selection for interview in 2015 applicants needed to have above 6.17 as a total application score. The table below indicates, for 2015 applicants, the proportion of applicants selected for interview within each score range. 73% of those invited for interview in 2015-16 received a score of 8 and above.

6.17 - 6.9 8%
    7.0 - 7.9 19%
    8.0 - 8.9 34%
    9.0 - 9.9 29%
    10 10%

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Okay then thank you for all of your advice!! I was just wondering if you think my application would be strong enough to apply for nottingham or not, thank you, its absolutely fine if youre not sure😊😊

ReputationRep:
    According to the website:
    "For selection for interview in 2015 applicants needed to have above 6.17 as a total application score. The table below indicates, for 2015 applicants, the proportion of applicants selected for interview within each score range. 73% of those invited for interview in 2015-16 received a score of 8 and above.

6.17 - 6.9 8%
    7.0 - 7.9 19%
    8.0 - 8.9 34%
    9.0 - 9.9 29%
    10 10%

Hope this helps
    Ahh thank you so much for making that clearer! Hopefully, cut-offs won't rise too much and 7.677 will still be a competitive score.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Ahh thank you so much for making that clearer! Hopefully, cut-offs won't rise too much and 7.677 will still be a competitive score.

Good luck!
    I'm sure it will be! Where else are you applying?

ReputationRep:
    Okay then thank you for all of your advice!! I was just wondering if you think my application would be strong enough to apply for nottingham or not, thank you, its absolutely fine if youre not sure😊😊
    You can calculate what score you'd get, I'm not sure exactly what the cut offs are though. It kind of depends what you got for each subset for example I got 800 for QR but to get into the top scoring band you need 801 () so I would get the same score as someone who got 700. So as you can see there's a bit of discrepancy depending on your exact subset scores.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure it will be! Where else are you applying?
    Cardiff, Leicester, Liverpool. Wbu?

ReputationRep:
    hi i just sent in my application today
    applying to Newcastle, Bham, Liverpool and St Andrews
    8A* 2A 1B at gcse
    predicted AAA
    ukcat average- 663
    my score on the calc is 7.458
    i really hope i get an interview here as i think i will be rejected from newcastle due to high ukcat boundary!!!

ReputationRep:
    Cardiff, Leicester, Liverpool. Wbu?
    Definitely Liverpool and then maybe Sheffield and QMUL/Barts but it's so hard to choose!!!

ReputationRep:
    I understand typical offer for Birmingham is A*AA. Would it be worth applying with predicted grades AAA? Anyone.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely Liverpool and then maybe Sheffield and QMUL/Barts but it's so hard to choose!!!
    We're applying to similar unis. Do keep in touch via PM!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maz A)
    I understand typical offer for Birmingham is A*AA. Would it be worth applying with predicted grades AAA? Anyone.
    On their website, it says applying with AAA is fine.

ReputationRep:
    On their website, it says applying with AAA is fine.
    Oh right I thought with the typical offer being A* AA it would be advisable for me not to apply there with pred. grades of AAA, thx.

ReputationRep:
    We're applying to similar unis. Do keep in touch via PM!
    Sure, I'll let you know if I get any interviews!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    would a score of 6.87 get interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kantth1)
    Hi guys,
    would a score of 6.87 get interview?
    Well, the cut off last year was 6.17 so most likely, yes.

ReputationRep:
    Is applying with a 6.5 score even worth it? I got 7A*s and 3 As as well as a really low UKCAT of 610.

Poll
Is GoT overrated?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.