Feel really upset and depressed over starting uni

Announcements

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I decided to take a gap year in the end. The uni said i only had to pay my deposit for the accommodation as i hadn't registered at the uni yet and the course hadn't started yet. They said if i had registered i would have had to pay the accommodation for the whole term which would've been quite pricy! But if you wish that you dropped out then id recommend doing it before your course starts as you'll have to pay more once it starts and the longer you stay your accommodation fee may rise. By the way how come you don't like your uni?
    I've left it way too late I've registered for the course. But I think I'll change course. I'm just not ready to start my course yet. I'm not happy with course/university.

(Original post by VictoriaCoolio)
    I've left it way too late I've registered for the course. But I think I'll change course. I'm just not ready to start my course yet. I'm not happy with course/university.
    did you consider taking a gap year before? Maybe you should do that if you want. What is it you don't like about the uni?

People think they are in a race and they must go this year to keep up with their friends. This is total nonsense as you are unlikely to see many of your school friends again after Uni.

The Uni and course is a 3 year £45,000 debt decision. You reallt only get to do it once. You have a grace year for a mistake, which would be another £15,000, unless ill. Do not go somewhere you dont want to be and hastily chose because you are most likely going to regret it.

If its the wrong course you ha e a short window to change within the uni or leave of a few weeks, whereby you cna quit or change withoutincurring costs. Go past the 14 days then that will cost you £2250 normally and a years student finance.

Accommodation is easier to ditch at the beginning , although they will charge you until you get a replacement plus an admin fee.

If you arent happy get out and go soemwhere better next year. Money earned is invaluable and can improve your uni experience no end.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    did you consider taking a gap year before? Maybe you should do that if you want. What is it you don't like about the uni?
    I just don't like the feel of the uni. I have continued taking a gap year before but I'm in such a difficult place right now. I can't do that in my parents house because they're Nigerian and they won't support me for another year.

(Original post by 999tigger)
    People think they are in a race and they must go this year to keep up with their friends. This is total nonsense as you are unlikely to see many of your school friends again after Uni.

The Uni and course is a 3 year £45,000 debt decision. You reallt only get to do it once. You have a grace year for a mistake, which would be another £15,000, unless ill. Do not go somewhere you dont want to be and hastily chose because you are most likely going to regret it.

If its the wrong course you have a short window to change within the uni or leave of a few weeks, whereby you cna quit or change withoutincurring costs. Go past the 14 days then that will cost you £2250 normally and a years student finance.

Accommodation is easier to ditch at the beginning , although they will charge you until you get a replacement plus an admin fee.

If you arent happy get out and go soemwhere better next year. Money earned is invaluable and can improve your uni experience no end.
    That's true we are not in a race. I don't have to go this year to keep up with my friends I'm probably never going to see any of these school friends again. I feel like my parents don't understand that you don't have to get it right the first time. That's true accommodation is easy to ditch but I can easily come back home and study again. What do you mean by grace year? What will they charge me for the accommodation fees? I'm just not fully equipped for the real world yet. I was late to an exam. And I just began to go crazy. If I take a gap year I'll have to find a job I just feel like at the end of the day it is my life and I should take control. I'm really bit happy here at all. I guess so I would incur £45,000 of debt. I'm just not feeling well at all I'm too mentally unstable. Say I drop out and apply to somewhere else through clearing is that still possible or way to late. I'm not liking the feel of this uni. And I'm not liking the course and everything.

ReputationRep:
    If you've got parents who don't support you, you could stay at uni and make use of the counselling services there and then change onto a different course for secondar year. Sometimes you have to work the system a bit if you've not got your parents willing to stand by you emotionally and practically.

I just don't like the feel of the uni. I have continued taking a gap year before but I'm in such a difficult place right now. I can't do that in my parents house because they're Nigerian and they won't support me for another year.

That's true we are not in a race. I don't have to go this year to keep up with my friends I'm probably never going to see any of these school friends again. I feel like my parents don't understand that you don't have to get it right the first time. That's true accommodation is easy to ditch but I can easily come back home and study again. What do you mean by grace year? What will they charge me for the accommodation fees? I'm just not fully equipped for the real world yet. I was late to an exam. And I just began to go crazy. If I take a gap year I'll have to find a job I just feel like at the end of the day it is my life and I should take control. I'm really bit happy here at all. I guess so I would incur £45,000 of debt. I'm just not feeling well at all I'm too mentally unstable. Say I drop out and apply to somewhere else through clearing is that still possible or way to late. I'm not liking the feel of this uni. And I'm not liking the course and everything.
    Talk to your tutor and welfare. If your mental helath is off you arent in the best place to get the most from uni socially or academically.

Go and see your GP to get your mental health diagnosed.

The £45000 is the average debt a student leaves with following the latest increases to £9,000. Its not menat to scare you , plus its an average. makes sense to spend it ona course you wnat.

Grace year is SFE will fund you for degree length +1 year, the +1 is insurance if you change your mind about a course or are ill etc.

You need to check with accommodation about charges. its in the agreement and i dont have enough details. ypicla would be an admin fee and you have to find a replacement.

Almost too late for cleearing and on your information I wuld suggest not to as you arent in the right frame of mind to make a good decision on limited courses. Go next year imo. You could easily go to a course just as poor or worse if you tried clearing.

If you are going to do it then start seeing people soon to talk it over. they will have a withdrawal procedure. Ive gone through the things you need to do in response to the OP. Its all posted above. Go and get advice.

ReputationRep:
    Once this term is over and you come back in February the year is about to end. This is the longest and hardest one but get through the first month and you will start to find a rhythm, then it will be dark nights and Christmas hols before you know it!

EDIT- just seen op has decided to do a gap year which is fair enough, but if anyone else is in a similar situation it does get better

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 28, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Would you prefer to be told about sex by your:
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.