Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If this helps i know someone who is doing the first year and they don't enjoy the course so they are going to get the qualification and start again as you can get a loan for 4 years of study. otherwise you waste alot of money

ReputationRep:
    It isn't your parents choice to make. Its YOURS (assuming of course you wont expect them to financially support you while you are at home- then naturally they have a say about that).

It isn't for everyone. I never did university (maybe in the future- who knows!) and dropped out of college at 17 because I too had depression. My parents weren't happy about my choice- but I had to stick to my guns and tell them I was my making the best decision for ME.

You do need to see it from their point of view however- they are concerned their child is depressed (just because they don't show it in the way you want doesn't mean they aren't- its damn hard to understand the reasons why people are depressed and what it does to them sometimes) and they want you to have the best- but just because you aren't doing it now doesn't mean you wont in the future- heck, I know people who are 50+ going to university!

You need to make the right decision for you. Being in a situation you don't like isn't helping you to get better- being in one you do like will get you better.

While I live with my parents still and they don't support the decisions I have made with my life- I feel perfectly content with them and that is all that matters.

Will they let you go home if you drop out? If not you need to find yourself a job before you consider doing anything so you can financially support yourself. If work isn't an option for you right now- you need to look into what other support is available to you.

Take care of yourself OP

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megmrsh)
    Hey
    I've been in uni studying history for about 3 and a half weeks now, and I've realised that I'm not on the right course. I've tried to talk to my uni but theey wont let me change course, and I'm really miserable and depressed. I've decided I want to drop out of uni, but my parents are totally against it even though they know I'm depressed (and I have anxiety). I want to take a gap year to work and maybe travel, and then sign up for a different course next year. Has anyone here been in a similar situtuation? Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with my parents and convince them it wont ruin my life?
    Thanks xxx
    Yep I've been there I left Portsmouth after a term and went somewhere else where I was much happier. My parents didn't actually think I'd do it until i phoned them p and said I'd got my the form. I left then went to talk to the uni i wanted to go to I got a verbal offer then went through UCAS and ended up in a uni I liked in a course i liked in a city I loved so yeah didn't work out to bad for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megmrsh)
    Hi,
    Yeah I feel like I was rushed into uni aswell, like the choice was made for me. I just can't face the idea of staying and sitting exams just for the sake of it, and not really knowing what for. I need to convice my parents though, I've talked to them and they wont let me drop out unless I find something to do during my gap year. May I ask you what you did during your gap year?
    Thank you so much for your reply I appreciate it. Xxxx
    I worked wit my dad and tried to get my math up to scratch(I failed that at Portsmouth before I left)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Epistemolog y)
    You have spent 3 and a half years in the degree and you realising now its not for you isn't ideal... How will you get funding for another degree? At least finish off your degree you don't have to work in history but it provides a lot instead of just saying you wasted all of the time. When in depression you always don't think straight logic goes out of the roof. If you need a year out thats fine but do finish your degree how long of it is left?
    He said weeks not years.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.