I want to drop out

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cll_ws)
    No problem! I took a gap 5 years :lol: Because I had no real idea of what I wanted to study, and didn't want to get it wrong a second time. Hopefully if you already know it won't take you that long! But I would still encourage you not to jump into a course that you're unsure about.

I've done a few things in that time. Worked full-time, studied part-time, spent some time living and studying abroad. It wasn't until I was 22 that I found something that I truly enjoyed studying, and i've been self-studying that subject for the past 2 years. I'm applying now to return to university next September.

It's taken me longer that I expected, but I don't regret taking the time to work things out.
    Oh ok lol, you're right about taking your time to think about what you want to do, it's better than wasting time and money! I'm pretty sure about what I want to change to so yeah hopefully it won't take me too long

ReputationRep:
    I dropped out of uni and my dad disowned me. But it was the best decision of my life. I took a few months off to figure out what I wanted to do, and then reapplied for a different course, at a different uni. I'm so much happier now than I was before and I feel so much more prepared.

Your life is YOUR life. You have to do what you think is right and what's best for you. No one else can make those decisions, no matter how hard it is. I feel like your parents will understand your decision, as long as you give them a plan for the future. It's not the end of the world, you can still have full funding for another degree if you want.

(Original post by Cll_ws)
    No problem! I took a gap 5 years :lol: Because I had no real idea of what I wanted to study, and didn't want to get it wrong a second time. Hopefully if you already know it won't take you that long! But I would still encourage you not to jump into a course that you're unsure about.

I've done a few things in that time. Worked full-time, studied part-time, spent some time living and studying abroad. It wasn't until I was 22 that I found something that I truly enjoyed studying, and i've been self-studying that subject for the past 2 years. I'm applying now to return to university next September.

It's taken me longer that I expected, but I don't regret taking the time to work things out.
    5 gap years. That sounds awesome. I'm happy to know that I still have that option. Some people are still doing their GCSEs at age 50. But I'm just feeling like if I go bak to school. I'll have to pay tonnes of money to pay for my exams and my eating. And I'll have to pay towards rent. I'm also thinking of the disappointment I'll cause to my family. They won't kick me out or send me away. But they'll be so angry.

I really am trying to turn my life around. But I'm still thinking about my grades

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VictoriaCoolio)
    5 gap years. That sounds awesome. I'm happy to know that I still have that option. Some people are still doing their GCSEs at age 50. But I'm just feeling like if I go bak to school. I'll have to pay tonnes of money to pay for my exams and my eating. And I'll have to pay towards rent. I'm also thinking of the disappointment I'll cause to my family. They won't kick me out or send me away. But they'll be so angry.
    There's been plenty of good times, as well as times when I felt completely lost and unsure what I was doing. But it was all necessary for me to work out what I wanted to do. My current course choice was never even on the radar when I was 18/19 years old, where as now it's massive part of my life. An interest turned serious I suppose, which is the way it should be. If you're finding it difficult to decide on a subject then you're probably not ready to commit to one (Which shouldn't worry you at 18... I don't feel you're told that enough at that age)

Almost all of the pressure i've felt over the past 5 years has stemmed from a desire to make sure I wasn't disappointing my family, or falling behind friends who were doing well. In truth, my family have never stopped me from doing anything or questioned any decision i've made, so I probably worried too much. But whether your family are vocally against the decisions you make or not, you shouldn't let it cloud your judgement too much or you'll keep on making poorly thought out decisions in an attempt to please others. I've made a few for those reasons myself.

It was only once I stopped looking for the quickest and easiest route to please my family and decided to commit the time and effort to a complete change of paths that I stopped worrying about my future and felt I was moving forwards.

ReputationRep:
    I did this with Nursing halfway through the year. I loved the course but because of my (at the time) undiagnosed Personality Disorder, I was too erratic with my moods to cope with the practical side of the course.

I dropped out, took about 2 years out working, then enrolled onto a Business and Management degree with my local college in association with the University I was accredited from. I got a 2:1 in the end instead of failing.

So, my advice, do it. Take the year, build up some cash, have a good think and work out what the best course of action for YOU is.

ReputationRep:
    The OP has only been reading for 3 and a half weeks, not 3 and a half years!

I want to drop out but apparently I'm not even registered on the course and I've been trying to change course and I can't return back to my home and because my mum says I can't. My tution fees have already come out at 25% so far. I also can't confirm my programme of study. What should I do should I just tell some one at the uni about all of this?

ReputationRep:
    You can apply to other courses and universities through ucas as a independent candidate, while still on your current course, if you're worried about dropping out straight away. I did that last year. Then when you have a place on another course you can drop out and take a semi gap year. Try and get a job or work experience during that time to make it worthwhile if you can.

ReputationRep:
    Starting at Uni is daunting and it may or may not be the course, but the whole change from home & school you're struggling with. Talk it over with a counsellor at Uni and clearly articulate what course you want to do, why you want to do & why you're passionate about it. Try to fathom what it is that is triggering your anxiety...wrong course...wrong uni...wrong time to leave home?
    Don't worry about the age thing, I did a year at college so went at 19yrs old and the year was negligible. I did my first two years then took a break before going back at age 23 to finish my final two years (honours degrees being 4 yrs total in Scotland) and that was a wee bit different age-wise but you still find people to click with. So don't let that make you feel different....lots of people have gap years, or decide their first year was not right for them, you often can still get funding to complete your course.
    I'm looking at the grand old age of 43 to be starting a PG course, and everyone else will be approx half my age but I'll swallow the discomfort as I'm passionate about my course.
    Your parents need some commitment from you that you will go back, and applying now for next year will show that. Have a plan and realistic goals for your year out (not just "I'll get a job" - job market not great, so show what job area you're looking at & applying to) will appease the parents and show you're not just taking the easiest route...parents worry about you, it's their job and they want the best for you and them. Don't make them have sleepless nights worrying about you and your future....they will support you, but be decisive and forward planning with achievable goals and they can rest easier. Good luck! Gx

(Original post by GReilly)
    Starting at Uni is daunting and it may or may not be the course, but the whole change from home & school you're struggling with. Talk it over with a counsellor at Uni and clearly articulate what course you want to do, why you want to do & why you're passionate about it. Try to fathom what it is that is triggering your anxiety...wrong course...wrong uni...wrong time to leave home?
    Don't worry about the age thing, I did a year at college so went at 19yrs old and the year was negligible. I did my first two years then took a break before going back at age 23 to finish my final two years (honours degrees being 4 yrs total in Scotland) and that was a wee bit different age-wise but you still find people to click with. So don't let that make you feel different....lots of people have gap years, or decide their first year was not right for them, you often can still get funding to complete your course.
    I'm looking at the grand old age of 43 to be starting a PG course, and everyone else will be approx half my age but I'll swallow the discomfort as I'm passionate about my course.
    Your parents need some commitment from you that you will go back, and applying now for next year will show that. Have a plan and realistic goals for your year out (not just "I'll get a job" - job market not great, so show what job area you're looking at & applying to) will appease the parents and show you're not just taking the easiest route...parents worry about you, it's their job and they want the best for you and them. Don't make them have sleepless nights worrying about you and your future....they will support you, but be decisive and forward planning with achievable goals and they can rest easier. Good luck! Gx
    I just feel like I'm at the wrong course and uni. I don't even know where my life is headed. I will talk to my uni and a consellor. Yeah my mum has been having sleepless nights worried about my future for the past 2 weeks. I have until 5 today to change my course and defer until next year. But if I go back home everyone will be pissed at me.

ReputationRep:
    You have broad shoulders, you can deal with people being pissed at you. Better folk are short term pissed off than years of YOU being miserable. This is not you running away necessarily, often harder to show backbone and do what you feel is right for you, than do what people think you should be doing. The path of least resistance is not always the one to follow. If you really hate it now (and you have done a few weeks) then you're likely to change by this time next year when you're into the 2nd year.
    Anxiety is a difficult beastie to tame and often gives you a false reading - it rears up even when you're doing the "right" thing. Talking though problems/anxieties/concerns with someone qualified is always helpful, and there's nothing these folk at uni haven't seen or heard. They can be useful to you and put you in a strong mind frame to make the decisions and plans best for you. Don't give up...if you decide to advise the uni you want to defer for the year, it will at least give you breathing space and stop the pressure you feel right now. Time then to look after you and get you in a better headspace...and job experience and travel no bad thing...just don't waste the year. Do something for you...and remember you're young enough to make mistakes and life doesn't end! Your next adventure awaits you....uni still there next year! Go meet people, have fun and work out your next step. Your parents want you happy more than anything. Gx

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 14, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

Articles:

Freshers guidePreparing for universityGuide to Freshers' WeekCity and nightlife guidesAlcohol guide for freshersStaying safe at uniBudgeting and financeStudent foodTravel and getting aroundUniversity study tipsHow to write your dissertation in just four weeksA week in the life of a uni student

Sponsored features:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Canterbury Christ Church University logo

Canterbury Christ Church University

Discover more about this community-focused university

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick link:

Unanswered uni life threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.