Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tories to cut access for international students Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oShahpo)
    Just a question, does this have to go through Parliament first? Is there any possibility that a "sensible" parliament would turn it down?
    Probably not - they can do it under departmental regulations.

British democracy at work. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    Maybe because they're immigrants? Why shouldn't they be included and subjected to the same persecution as their compatriots?
    Because they come here temporarily, don't have jobs, live in purpose built student accomodation and when their degree is finished, they go home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by #ChaosKass)
    Fantastic to see the Tories move further to the right on immigration. I don't know why international students can't just go to university in their own countries? I mean you don't see any British students moving to China to study.
    International students bring a lot of money. They pay £15+K fees and usually stay in expensive accommodation (£8-12K) for three years. They are also a key element of the British soft power.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    I dint have much of an opinion on this- however.

James Dyson argues that international students such as those from china will go on to use their British education (say in computer science) and use it against Britain and thus it goes against britains interests.

Anybody care to argue for or against this position?
    My company hired a Chinese individual who just completed his PhD in the U.K. This guy is immensely talented and he's using his skills to benefit our country, not China.

That view is just stupidly paranoid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mojojojo101)
    Because they come here temporarily, don't have jobs, live in purpose built student accomodation and when their degree is finished, they go home.
    Not much different from EU immigrants then, and we feel so strongly about them we voted to kick them out. Only difference is they have jobs (remind me which immigrants we're supposed to hate these days, those "sponging off the state" or those "taking our jobs")?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    I dint have much of an opinion on this- however.

James Dyson argues that international students such as those from china will go on to use their British education (say in computer science) and use it against Britain and thus it goes against britains interests.

Anybody care to argue for or against this position?
    international footballers come to premier league and use their experience in the EPL against England in international tournaments.

Kick them out, ozil, pogba, ibrahimovich.....

England will win the world cup again!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by #ChaosKass)
    Fantastic to see the Tories move further to the right on immigration. I don't know why international students can't just go to university in their own countries? I mean you don't see any British students moving to China to study.
    We make a bigger profit from international students anyway. They pay like three times what British citizens pay.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.