Life is so underwhelming

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    No it's just that I see a lot more negatives than positives in life. All they would do is give me some toxic pills with ridiculous side effects, so that I can express an emotion which is fake, and live the rest of my life expressing the emotions only they want me to.
    This is an interesting view on antidepressants. They're not toxic (no more toxic than any other drugs) and have few side effects. However, the 'emotions only they want me to' bit is curious to me - who is 'they'? And why would 'they' want you to be expressing particular types of emotions?

I really hope you can find someone in real life (i.e. not this forum) to talk to about this.

life is underwhelming.

ReputationRep:
    Quite the opposite for me, I wish I could take more on but I just don't have the energy.

ReputationRep:
    Because I don't really like many people to be honest. I am naturally very deceptive, usually just to make my own life easier, this is one thing which annoys me the most because sometimes I even do it to the people I love the most.
    I'm sure you are nicer than you are making out.

(Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Quite the opposite for me, I wish I could take more on but I just don't have the energy.
    You are a lucky person then, I envy you.

(Original post by Captain Jack)
    I'm sure you are nicer than you are making out.
    You would think... But that would prove my point.

ReputationRep:
    You are a lucky person then, I envy you.
    I f***ing ain't :rofl: I'd do anything for a quiet life tbh, or just to feel more up to doing things.

ReputationRep:
    Everything is underwhelming, nothing is exciting. What is the point.

Just started Uni- very underwhelming, just an extension of college but means you can p**sed everyday (if you can afford it).

Tried out for a sports team for the first time- found it incredibly underwhelming and boring, quit after 1 session.

Never get excited to meet friends anymore, going out anywhere is almost undoubtedly going to be underwhelming and I would rather just stay at home on my own.

I could go on but don't want to bore you, basically life is underwhelming, I have not experienced excitement for some time now.
    Life is what you make of it; cliche but true.

Go hang-gliding or something

ReputationRep:
    dangit wish i was in your situation. I really dislike my A levels at the moment purely because of the sheer workload. ALL my teachers set end of topic tests at essentially the same time. i have about 6 in the space of 2 days then another 2 next week. Plus the extreme amount of revision needed for me to actually understand physics.

Literally if i was in your situation i would just read ahead in what im studying. after all, id be studying what i enjoy the most so the more i learn the happier i am really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S1939)
    Rip off Britain should have a whole segment dedicated to it lol
    Indeed. £30,000 down, first-class STEM degree and I couldn't even get a job as a lab tech.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    Life is what you make of it; cliche but true.

Go hang-gliding or something
    No it's not. It's about your genetics, environment, how much money you have and who you know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheesefan)
    No it's not. It's about your genetics, environment, how much money you have and who you know.
    That's the pessimistic view
    You make your own luck in life

ReputationRep:
    You would think... But that would prove my point.
    We'll see. Most people go through periods of how you are feeling tbh. And the fact you started this thread means you have been thinking about it, which makes you aware of it. If you were truly not nice, you wouldn't have done any of that. But it's your life to do what you want with. I reckon you should open up more with other people. It's hard to do at first but becomes easier. Almost everyone is a bit different in reality. There is no normal.

And if you genuinely are bored of life, I'd stick with my original recommendation of going on holiday to experience something completely new.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    This is an interesting view on antidepressants. They're not toxic (no more toxic than any other drugs) and have few side effects. However, the 'emotions only they want me to' bit is curious to me - who is 'they'? And why would 'they' want you to be expressing particular types of emotions?

I really hope you can find someone in real life (i.e. not this forum) to talk to about this.
    The naivety on this website is truely astounding. You clearly know nothing about antidepressants as beyond SSRIs, many of them have serious side effects which don't go away.

ReputationRep:
    That's the pessimistic view
    You make your own luck in life
    Get in the real world kid.

ReputationRep:
    Get in the real world kid.
    I'm 22 and I'm independent financially. Plenty in the real world thanks

ReputationRep:
    The naivety on this website is truely astounding. You clearly know nothing about antidepressants as beyond SSRIs, many of them have serious side effects which don't go away.
    Please don't assume you know what I know, there's a good boy.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 22 and I'm independent financially. Plenty in the real world thanks
    we all thought you were a lot younger

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Popcorns)
    we all thought you were a lot younger
    It seems to be default assumption on these forums

You're only as young (or old) as you feel in any case

ReputationRep:
    It seems to be default assumption on these forums

You're only as young (or old) as you feel in any case
    yes something like that!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 6, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you prefer to be told about sex by your:
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.