The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emwanza
Sent off mine on September 6th. Yesterday, I got an offer from the University of Liverpool. Simply, overjoyed! Liverpool is asking for 33 IB points but must get a 5 in Maths since I am doing standard level and no subject less than 4. I have something to work towards to now. I hope to meet you at Liverpool in September 2017.
Enala (IB student from Canada)

Congratulations!! Good luck with you IB, I'm sure it'll really help having some to work towards and to motivated you. Thank you! :smile:
Original post by Risobelle

Personal statements don't matter one bit if you're applying to LNAT unis.

Except for where they do. Bristol, for example: 15% weighting is towards the personal statement. Yes, the LNAT carries 25% weighting, but that's still 75% of other things to consider that aren't the LNAT.

All of them were rejected by the LNAT unis and they had to settle for the Russell Group unis.

They're not mutually exclusive. Poor wording.

But i was told on good authority by those who know that the essay component of the LNAT doesn't count for anything.

Again, smells like BS. What would be the point in making you do an essay that didn't count for anything? The point of the essay is for individual Universities to see your writing style. It also filters out people who may have just guessed in the MC section and got lucky. The essay absolutely counts - maybe not towards your score, but certainly towards the decision of the Uni you apply to.

Once Joe gets a place at LSE, his place at Nottingham will then be given to someone else who for example had applied to Bristol with an LNAT score of 30 and A*AA but now wants to go to a better uni.

Nottingham better than Bristol? Hahaha, okay. This would make more sense if you compared say, LSE to Oxford, but Bristol is better than Nottingham, if anything the difference is marginal enough that people who did try for Nottingham over Bristol in Adjustment would do so for reasons other than "it's a better uni". Which it's not.

They have been cases in the past where people scored 13 in the LNAT and got a place at LSE but it's only hearsay. It may very well be true but those cases should number very few.

Almost everything you said is hearsay. And nobody has said that LOADS of people get into LNAT unis with a lower score; saying it may be true but that there should only be a few cases is precisely true.

So how much did you score last year and which unis did you apply to? What were your firm and insurance choices?

I scored 32, and applied to Bristol. I wouldn't consider other LNAT Unis as I don't intend to leave the area I currently live - I'm an adult with an established career and a house to run. And I didn't want to leave my dog and cat behind!
Reply 43
I did not have to compose this post but I want to because this forum has helped me a lot albeit only a handful of forum members (i'm thinking 4 or 5 people? :curious:)

I scored 18 in my first LNAT, LSE rejected me, I called them up, the person said sorry to me and to apply elsewhere so I took a gap year and scored 35 for my second LNAT.

You don't have to believe me. But i repeat this again for those who are unaware of this but are willing to hear me out and then do their own research before deciding if i'm speaking sense or not.

Personal statements don't matter one bit if you're applying to LNAT unis. If you score below a certain score which the LNAT uni has agreed by itself within its department to be the minimum mark for that application year then all applicants that have scored below that mark will be automatically rejected. You will be notified of that rejection via the personal portal (separate from UCAS) which all LNAT unis will create for you, provide the user ID and password to you for you to log in. It is in this portal where you can ask the tutor questions, they will reply to you or send them PDF copies of your results etc. Do a simple search on this forum and you will see so many who score 10, 11, 13, 15 etc for the LNAT and the LNAT unis rejected them outright. We will never ever know what the cut-off mark for the LNAT for that year is for a particular uni unless a Freedom of Information request is made.

Look at this link below. UCL first said that there is no benchmark score for the LNAT but then further down it says 'The average LNAT score for offer holders for 2014-15 was 27 (to the nearest whole number). For 2015-16 it was 28 (to the nearest whole number).
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/lnat_statistics_3

Admission tutors may say publicly that the entire LNAT and the personal statement is looked at as a whole. But i was told on good authority by those who know that the essay component of the LNAT doesn't count for anything. It's only the LNAT MCQ that matters. The function of the LNAT is to filter those who cannot think logically from those who can, under timed exam conditions. Although I disagree with this thinking behind the unis that have adopted the LNAT, it's their decision and you have to abide by it. If you had bothered to do a simple search on this forum, you will see many students from the past as far back as 2011 who have shared their horrible experiences such as computer malfunction, noisy candidates in the room, failure to prepare for the LNAT MCQ and so much more. All of them were rejected by the LNAT unis and they had to settle for the Russell Group unis.

Anyways for those who scored above the mark set by the uni for the LNAT score, they will then be given conditional offers they must meet in order to gain a place for the law degree. On results day if you miss the offer given, then your conditional offer will lapse but it depends on how much you have missed the offer by. So you will have to contact the admissions team in that uni and practically beg them to take you in. Chances of this are virtually slim.

The conditional offers that were lapsed will then be tallied so that when Clearing comes along, these places will be given to deserving students who FIRSTLY scored high for the LNAT and have done well for the exams by scoring AAA or A*AA or A*AB. Once the Clearing exercise is over, places will also be given to those who have exceeded their offers and wish to go to a better uni.

For example if Joe scored 35 on the LNAT and A*AA and his firm choice was Nottingham who had asked for AAA, he would now want to apply to LSE instead which he can now do so under Adjustment. Once again when he calls up LSE, the admission tutor will first ask him how much he scored for the LNAT and then his A level grades. (If he did not do the LNAT then he will have to take a gap year and do the LNAT and reapply the following year.)

But suppose Joe did the LNAT and scored 35 on it, he will then have to email the LSE admissions team and they will make him an offer over the phone. Joe will then call up his firm choice Nottingham to release him, he will call up LSE to inform them that Bristol has released him, LSE will then make an offer to him via ucase and he will then accept it. This entire exercise in this paragraph is normally done within a few hours.

Joe will not be silly to ask Nottingham to release him unless his place at LSE has been confirmed. Once Joe gets a place at LSE, his place at Nottingham will then be given to someone else who for example had applied to Bristol with an LNAT score of 30 and A*AA but now wants to go to a better uni. So the cycle is such where most people who exceeded their offers will want to go to a better uni. There will be some who are contented with the firm choice because he stays near that uni or he's someone who has lived near that uni all his life and doesn't want to relocate elsewhere etc.

So as a recap for those applying to LNAT unis

personal statements doesn't matter one bit

LNAT score is what gets you a conditional offer

low LNAT score will see the LNAT uni reject you outright via notification in UCAS portal

Lower ranked unis will be lenient on both results days and during Clearing because they are heavily undersubscribed. You'll have to monitor a couple of the online newspapers who will update available places on courses in real-time.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/clearing/

http://www.independent.co.uk/student/into-university/clearing/clearing-2016-what-do-do-after-a-level-gcse-exam-results-applying-to-university-a7174126.html

It doesn't matter if you've stated in your personal statement that you've done charity work or helped out at the food bank or gone out to the real world to stack shelves at Waitrose. Ace the LNAT and everything will fall into place. They have been cases in the past where people scored 13 in the LNAT and got a place at LSE but it's only hearsay. It may very well be true but those cases should number very few.

LSE is not a LNAT Uni, it doesn't take into account LNAT scores when deciding who gets in.
Reply 44
Original post by ahmed369
what were your GCSE grades?

Hi there! As I'm an international applicant, so I didn't take GCSE examination. But I took another home examination which is similar to that of GCSE :smile:
Reply 45
I think that in your case even if you perform averagely for the LNAT, you will get offers from the unis because you achieved A*A*A*A. Thats no mean feat. Where are you from and what subjects did you score them in? I'm from Denmark.

Hi Risobelle! I'm from Malaysia. Thanks for the heads up :biggrin: I took Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Econs . I'm quite worried of my LNAT apparently as I didn't score well in my MCQ practice.... :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by teenhorrorstory
GCSEs: 6 A*s, 5 As, 1 B and 1 C
AS: A in Latin (and 3 As in PPEs/mocks for other subjects not officially sat)
Predicted grade: A*AA

Choices:
Oxford
KCL
UCL
Bristol
Manchester

Received acknowledgements from all but Manchester.

Update: I have substituted UCL for Birmingham
Reply 47
I just got an unconditional offer from QMUL 5 minutes ago! :biggrin:
Reply 48
Original post by Heheboy

Unconditional??you sure?can I have your email address please ? I would like your help
Reply 49
Original post by Heheboy

Did you apply for M100 LLB program?
Did you not practice?

I did practice and I feel it made a big difference to how I performed in the multiple choice section. But I don't think any more practice would have made much difference.
Personal statements don't matter one bit if you're applying to LNAT unis.

But that's not true though.

University of Bristol

The weighting for our assessment is as follows: A-level (or equivalent): 40%

GCSEs : 20%

Personal statement: 15%

Additional test (LNAT): 25%

Source: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/media/undergraduate/admissions-statements/2017/law.pdf

I assume that they score each aspect of the application, then the total score has to meet an overall threshold for them to make you an offer.

I mean, you're surely not claiming that they're outright lying, are you?

In any case, if what you say is true about the MCQ being more important than the essay then I'm slightly relieved, because I felt my MCQ went a lot better than the essay. But then again, I've heard the contrary, that the MCQ is not paid much attention and the essay is the most important part.

I think it's all just baseless speculation really.
Update: I have substituted UCL for Birmingham

How come? And what made you swap UCL instead of KCL?
Original post by Abstract_Prism
How come? And what made you swap UCL instead of KCL?

Decided that having 4 LNAT unis wasn't the best idea.

I'm applying for Law with Politics and Philosophy at KCL and love that particular course, and I know if I received offers from both KCL and UCL, I'd choose Kings anyway. It's unlikely I'd receive an offer from UCL and not receive one from Kings(as UCL usually more competitive). UCL was essentially a pointless choice!
Decided that having 4 LNAT unis wasn't the best idea.

I'm applying for Law with Politics and Philosophy at KCL and love that particular course, and I know if I received offers from both KCL and UCL, I'd choose Kings anyway. It's unlikely I'd receive an offer from UCL and not receive one from Kings(as UCL usually more competitive). UCL was essentially a pointless choice!

Ah I see, I totally forgot that KCL required the LNAT!
Oh dear god I got an email from UCL, beginning with 'We are delighted'. Turns out it was just 'We are delighted that you have chosen to apply to UCL and the Faculty of Laws.' and some information about how my application would be processed.

God damn UCL, why would you tease me like that?

Why would you do that.png
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Oh dear god I got an email from UCL, beginning with 'We are delighted'. Turns out it was just 'We are delighted that you have chosen to apply to UCL and the Faculty of Laws.' and some information about how my application would be processed.

God damn UCL, why would you tease me like that?

Why would you do that.png

Lmaooo :lol:

They haven't even received people's LNAT scores yet let alone making offers
Lmaooo :lol:

They haven't even received people's LNAT scores yet let alone making offers

Lol I totally forgot they don't get them till the 21st. I'm just on edge because I sent off my application today.
Reply 58
if you score below 20 for your LNAT the unis you selected will automatically reject you. doesn't matter if you've stated in your personal statement that you've done charity work or helped out at the food bank or gone out to the real world to stack shelves at Waitrose. you've done a risky thing by choosing only LNAT unis. if you are rejected by all the unis then you only have yourself to blame for having wasted so much time on this forum instead of poring over your books.

This information is wrong. Universities do accept LNATs that are below the threshold of 20 marks. If you use the freedom of information act, you are able to receive statistics of offers for Oxbridge and other LNAT universities. Using this act, I've seen universities accept students with LNAT grades as low as 14.
Reply 59
Original post by ahmed369
Unconditional??you sure?can I have your email address please ? I would like your help

Yup it's an unconditional offer for M100 programme because I have achieved A-level grades. You can pm me or ask me through here. Glad to offer any two cents if I'm capable to help you haha😅
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending