Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

No money help!!! Watch

    • Very Important Poster

    (Original post by Who_Cider)
    Ah ok I see what you mean with the rent now. Hate private halls they are not set up with poorer students in mind.

    To access the hardship fund from universities you need to show three months worth of bank statements. Will NatWest still give the OP these if the account has been terminated? If not they will have real problems accessing the hardship money.
    Thats why you would have the advisor contact them on your behalf. Banks will talk.

    Hello OP. Was thinking about your predicament and was wondering how you are getting on? [Hope you don't mind me asking?]

    (Original post by 123lat123)
    im a second year student at uni, and because i came to university with no money whatsoever from being in a low income house i used my overdraft to get there. That meant that when i received my student finance i was already £500 (overdraft) down. Because of this i couldnt pay my first rent installment and they were threatening to kick me out so as a last and very very stupid resort i took out a bank loan to pay it. I have not been able to keep up the repayments and have only been paying then off every so often, and as a result of this was always in my overdraft and never had any money. I am just coming into second year and when my first installment came through again the same happened with my overdraft, however because of all of the missed repayments they have now taken the overdraft away, which means again i have had no money left over to pay my first rent installment. Also as a result of me not paying back the agreed monthly repayments the bank have closed my account so i am now left with no bank account, £2.35 to my name until january (it is now beginning of october) and £3,500 in debt. My landlords are asking for the rent but i dont have it. The university offer a hardship fund but you need to provide bank statements to apply which i no longer have access to as i no longer have a bank account. Please please can anyone give me any advice on what to do. Im so stuck and depressed and im living 200 miles from home with no money to live. My dad doesnt earn enough to send me any and i darent tell him about the debt im in. If anyone could offer any support or advice id be eternally grateful. I just dont know what to do
    Like others have said, speak to someone from uni to see how they can help. You might still be able to get some money from that hardship fund, speak to them. And you may still be able to get access to your old bank statements from the bank.
    Speak to your family so they know whats happening.
    How about getting a part time job?
    • Very Important Poster

    Same i would be interested to see how you are getting on OP. As Emma pointed out then you should still be able to get your bank statements if you visit your branch in person with ID and explain the situation. Normally the person on customer service can access your records and print them off or you may have to do it over the phone. Hopefully you have seen a proper debt advisor now and they have a handle on your situation. Hang in there.
What is your favourite film genre?
Useful resources
How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.