Your opinion on the new £5 note?

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    Yeah okay I can see what you're saying abt Churchill tbf, he won the war so it makes sense he's on the £5 notes.

I'm just saying that he believed in eugenics and thought that white people were superior to other races, so he's not perfect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Since we've started, though, I vote that we stick Cecil Rhodes on the tenner.
    Or maybe some kind of celebration of the institution of colonial slavery?

ReputationRep:
    Incredibly hideous, and it looks and feels like toy money.
    However, you can't "rip" it meaning it will last longer, so there's a plus point.
    Encountered several now so it's safe to say it's quite common now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christie_xx)
    I'm pretty sure that Churchill was very racist so plenty of other people would be more suitable for the notes imo 🤔
    I'm no Churchill super fan but he is very iconic and arguably a very good war time prime minister. It seems like a suitable choice...
    Although using him on the £5 note does seem to play into this whole 'we're British not European', WW2 nostalgic, better in the old days shite.

That aside, I love the new note except for how when you fold it it's constantly bent after that

ReputationRep:
    It's cool

Find it stupid that Chuchill's on it though, I know he was a wartime hero, but he was a pretty vile person person that believed in using eugenics, and was pretty racist. Not the best role model.

ReputationRep:
    It is a little small perhaps, and although it is now waterproof (which is great) was that reaaaaaaaly that big of an issue? The fact it shrinks in the tumble drier is funny though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc:))
    I'm no Churchill super fan but he is very iconic and arguably a very good war time prime minister. It seems like a suitable choice...
    Although using him on the £5 note does seem to play into this whole 'we're British not European', WW2 nostalgic, better in the old days shite.

That aside, I love the new note except for how when you fold it it's constantly bent after that
    (Original post by Nirvana1989-1994)
    It's cool

Find it stupid that Chuchill's on it though, I know he was a wartime hero, but he was a pretty vile person person that believed in using eugenics, and was pretty racist. Not the best role model.
    The plastic note is smaller. Back in the war, the notes were smaller. So they chose Churchill

ReputationRep:
    lol england behind with the times, been in scotland for ages now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AppleB)
    I like washing it.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    don't like it

was given one when i bought something recently, went and bought something else with it because i couldn't wait to get it out of my hands

ReputationRep:
    Can't really grab a wad of them and go round the place looking like I own it now...

They'd be thinking this motherfuc*er has Monopoly money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conceited)
    I love it. Was trying to rip a couple earlier and they stayed in mint condition.

Proper decent.
    Uh... so why were you trying to rip them?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 12, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.