Should obese people receive disability benefits?

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drbluebox)
    Whats your reasoning for my thin friends who do nothing and eat like pizzas every day? if not pizzas, crisps, chocolate, as well as smoking and drinking alcohol.

You are the sort that loves to take stereotypes and half truths and then act like its the only answer, people who do that are the ones who have a sad life and need something to make themselves feel better.
    They don't eat over their TDEE every single day. It's simple thermodynamics.

ReputationRep:
    fat ****ers who made themselves fat through binge eating dont deserve **** however those with an illness do. giving benefits to everyone classified as obese makes those that are obese and able to work not work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King_ajk)
    fat ****ers who made themselves fat through binge eating dont deserve **** however those with an illness do. giving benefits to everyone classified as obese makes those that are obese and able to work not work
    Consider something for a moment.

Assume someone's TDEE is 2000. It's the average.

They eat an extra apple a day, at around 100 calories.

That's an extra 36500 calories a year. A pound of fat is around 3500 calories. They'd put on nearly 10.5 pounds a year by only eating an apple over their TDEE a day. After a few years, this adds up (assuming their intake changes to reflect their changing TDEE).

What we need is education rather than shaming.

ReputationRep:
    oh **** off people like you are the reason we are an obese nation making it seem like being fat is okay for your health

ReputationRep:
    oh **** off people like you are the reason we are an obese nation making it seem like being fat is okay for your health
    Being obese causes a plethora of health conditions. It's not good for you or the country to be obese. But not everyone who is obese knows why they're obese, as I pointed out in my example. If they don't understand what's making them obese, how do you expect them to be able to change?

ReputationRep:
    if your a guy with tits you are obese. just look at your stomach, if there are 4 rolls your obese

ReputationRep:
    if your a guy with tits you are obese. just look at your stomach, if there are 4 rolls your obese
    Are you being difficult deliberately?

Try reading what I said again. I'll spell it out for you: people may know they're obese, but not why, as they may not realise how much they are eating (as per my example). Education will fix this, but it needs to be made more of a priority.

ReputationRep:
    If they are actively working to prevent it/treat it (or it is non-preventable) then yes. If not no. Should be the same as JSA - only if you're actually looking for a job.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mactotaur)
    Are you being difficult deliberately?

Try reading what I said again. I'll spell it out for you: people may know they're obese, but not why, as they may not realise how much they are eating (as per my example). Education will fix this, but it needs to be made more of a priority.
    Of course he is.

I liked your Apple post and it explains the education argument well.

I'm not sure if anyone has considered mental health though, no one wants to be obese most people reach that stage through their behaviour towards food by way of self medication though, similar to drinking

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    Of course he is.

I liked your Apple post and it explains the education argument well.

I'm not sure if anyone has considered mental health though, no one wants to be obese most people reach that stage through their behaviour towards food by way of self medication though, similar to drinking

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Mental health's absolutely a factor - I don't know if I mentioned it earlier, but shaming people can cause them to simply double down on their comfort eating. It's why fat shaming is useless in combating the obesity crisis.

ReputationRep:
    Generally, no, being too lazy to go out and get a bit of exercise because you're too busy sat at home stuffing your face with ready meals and chocolate while watching Jeremy Kyle is not a disability.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It depends, there are many causes of obesity so it is unfair to put all obese people into one catergory. But for those who are morbidly obese as a result of eating too much junk food(excluding those who have eating disorders) and a lack of exercise should be provided support only if they are willing to reduce weight. If they don't put any input themselves to reduce weight then disability benefits should be discontinued but this does mean they shoud be neglected.

ReputationRep:
    I know trolling but I had moobs all my life, used to get teased about them even had them when I was underweight, now I am fat they actually look smaller.

I also have a solid stomach to the point people think I am thinner than I am as I don't look like a fat stereotype i.e I have a single chin.

They don't eat over their TDEE every single day. It's simple thermodynamics.
    True but the point being is theres an assumption that fat people are overeating in vast quantities every day when it could be the case they are eating very little but things packed with calories. or things like salt and fat.

It takes eating bad things in smallish doses that happen to be very bad for you a few times a week even if you eat nothing else that day.

I actually lost weight the most cutting out sugary drinks for diet and little to no change in my food intake bar the fact I eat less things in bulk i.e a takeaway meal deal I used to make me last 2 days (with no other food those 2 days) instead I buy something that is more filling and cheaper (could be worse for me)

Not that I eat takeaways every day but I go through phases like if I have a guest round I prefer to share a takeaway with them and if they stay for 3 days it will be takeaways 2 out of 3 of those days.

If I am staying over at a friends house its the same.

So a week when I am at college I may not eat takeaways or just have one at weekend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drbluebox)

True but the point being is theres an assumption that fat people are overeating in vast quantities every day when it could be the case they are eating very little but things packed with calories. or things like salt and fat.
    I take it you didn't read my post here?

ReputationRep:
    I take it you didn't read my post here?
    I did but you just mentioned an apple a day over daily allowance, I went into more detail like saying someone who has eating nothing all day could overeat by eating next to nothing its what they eat that is the problem.

Or someone can yo yo depending on mood, or how busy they are, they don't have to have mental health problems in the common sense just some people deal with things different.

I know a few (not that many) people who are hugely underweight as they work such long hours they don't find time to eat.

I know far more people who grab a take out (I say take out as I see takeaway as fast food) on way home rather than cook but limited selection and price means its far more likely its junk.

Point I was getting to there was that you can also get someone who undereats for days, overeats for days and rarely eats a normal diet (like me) so it ends up just weight piling on, in terms of what I personally eat over 7 days it may still be more than my daily allowance but not to the level of piling on the weight.

Though me personally it is around 1 stone a year I gain.

(Original post by Tsar101)
    It depends, there are many causes of obesity so it is unfair to put all obese people into one catergory. But for those who are morbidly obese as a result of eating too much junk food(excluding those who have eating disorders) and a lack of exercise should be provided support only if they are willing to reduce weight. If they don't put any input themselves to reduce weight then disability benefits should be discontinued but this does mean they shoud be neglected.
    Depends on what you see as an eating disorder, many people make the argument its all about lack of willpower than a eating disorder.

Also depends on what people see as mental health, is self esteem a mental health issue?

Almost if not everyone has some form of addiction in their personality its just some have far more health benefits than others.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 17, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.