£350m a week for the NHS lie finally bites the dust

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    How is it deemed a lie?

The UK is still in the EU. The 350m was promised after you lot leave.
    Lulz, when Theresa states that there will be no more money for the NHS, do you think she's suddenly going to undergo a Damascus moment and change her mind when we stop paying the EU payments because she now values the service and realises that she was wrong after all to value austerity above the wellbeing of our elderly and sick?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    I think many Leave voters probably felt they were making a protest against the government and the 'establishment' - the latter doesn't really mean a lot any more, it's a sort of nebulous hate concept used by people like Farage. Even more ridiculous was to hear Gove (a member of the Establishment if ever there was one) declaring that all experts are wrong and worthless. This kind of confusion was deliberately used by the Leavers to manipulate the less educated voters and play into the UKIP agenda, which in turn was created by tax evaders and hedge fund interests.

Also Leave voters probably in many cases felt comfortable voting Leave and felt like it was just an opportunity for a protest vote because there was an air of unreality to the campaign. The sad truth is though that it is real, very real and we have a government of extremists, tax evaders and ideological nincompoops to enact it.

They expect us to sit back quietly and wave this madness through with little protest.

If I hear more Leaver claiming there was a decisive majority in their bogus referendum and therefore "that is that".
    Ikr. What a protest wasn't it, they have screwed themselves and the rest of the country over!

It wasn't even a majority. There was terrible weather conditions in London on voting day and London (a very strong Remain city) resulted in very few votes. Very few people from London ended up not voting. Had they voted, London which is one of the biggest cities on Earth, Remain would have swept clean through and won. It's just what it comes down to. It's raining so I won't vote. I'm sure my 1 vote won't make a difference. Everyone clearly thought the same and here we are, properly screwed. Like tf. I don't want to end up dishing out 50k for university fees because of some morons. Most annoying part is the vast majority of uneducated and older voters voted leave. It should be OUR say. It's going to affect OUR lives not the elderly. And the uneducated... well that just speaks for itself really.

ReputationRep:
    Lulz, when Theresa states that there will be no more money for the NHS, do you think she's suddenly going to undergo a Damascus moment and change her mind when we stop paying the EU payments because she now values the service and realises that she was wrong after all to value austerity above the wellbeing of our elderly and sick?
    Course i dont believe her. Shes a tory. Lying is inbuilt

Im just saying that as the UK is still in - the UK its still "giving the 350m a week" away

ReputationRep:
    I think many Leave voters probably felt they were making a protest against the government and the 'establishment' - the latter doesn't really mean a lot any more, it's a sort of nebulous hate concept used by people like Farage.
    Exactly, the NHS had little importance in this vote.

Even more ridiculous was to hear Gove (a member of the Establishment if ever there was one) declaring that all experts are wrong and worthless. This kind of confusion was deliberately used by the Leavers to manipulate the less educated voters and play into the UKIP agenda, which in turn was created by tax evaders and hedge fund interests.
    Hedge fund interests were to stay in the EU.

ReputationRep:
    I knew the £350m per week was a lie even when i was pro-Brexit. I began hating a lot of the Brexiteers because of their willingness to just accept such claims on face value without showing even a shred of critical thinking on their part. No point denying it but in the end i just saw the Brexit camp as a mirror image of their American counterparts shouting "USA! USA".

Make Britain great again!

ReputationRep:
    Theresa May has announced no more money for the NHS, despite widespread evidence of a massive crisis looming in both emergency and regular care, partly caused by the side effects of government cuts to social care for the elderly.
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/...tumn-statement

This is the real Leave Britain - not a penny more for the NHS.

Boris Johnson is not returning calls on the subject. Michael Gove is in hiding. Nigel Farage is at his luxury house in Brussels. The NHS is collapsing. :sad:

Tory Britain. :rolleyes:
    For real? The irony.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    No they wont. They will blame immigrants or something.
    And when we cut immigration they will say the problem is that we haven't cut it enough.*

If we then cut it further they will blame it on the fact that people who migrated here previously are still here.

There will never be a point where they actually start to blame the government for underfunding and undermining the NHS rather than simply blaming immigrants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    And when we cut immigration they will say the problem is that we haven't cut it enough.*

If we then cut it further they will blame it on the fact that people who migrated here previously are still here.

There will never be a point where they actually start to blame the government for underfunding and undermining the NHS rather than simply blaming immigrants.
    In the old days, it was the Russians or the French.

Oh. Wait.... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    We will only have left the EU by 2019. You never know, those plans might go ahead. Besides, they didn't say the pat they "will" give £350million to the NHS, they said "let's give it to the NHS" so it was an idea, not a promise.
    An idea which they had no intention of ever following through yet kept repeating and repeating to persuade people to vote leave.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Theresa never made that promise. Moreover, I don't think it was the main reason for voting leave. Only a fool could have believed that the NHS would get £50 million a day after Brexit.
    I think you are underestimating how stupid the average person is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RainbowMan)
    *Plenty of people believed it btw.
    Evidence, other than anecdotal?

ReputationRep:
    Both sides lied. Remember the emergency budget?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)

The "give 350m a week to the NHS" pledge had no value.
    It does when complete idiots fell for it and let it influence their decision. It's actually depressing how little research the average voter does.

ReputationRep:
    only the govt can implement laws. 355mill can be spent on the nhs but that's only if the govt wants to. May never said she would as she was a remainer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    An idea which they had no intention of ever following through yet kept repeating and repeating to persuade people to vote leave.
    Yeah, it was just an idea that they liked. It's not direct lying as it could be possible to spend the money on the NHS and they never said explicitly that a new government would definitely spend the money on the NHS. There's nothing wrong with what they said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Hedge fund interests were to stay in the EU.
    Lol why does this matter?

ReputationRep:
    Let's not kid ourselves though, the NHS is not going to be fixed by throwing money at it willy nilly. Labour tried that, it didn't work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usainlightning)
    Evidence, other than anecdotal?
    I don't have any (nor has any research been published on this yet) other than anecdotal evidence based on my observations.

We'll see soon enough - I assume, research agencies are all over it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Josb

You guys live on another planet.
    So care to show me where the vote leave crowd made a steadfast promise that if we voted to leave the EU there would be an extra £350m a week to the NHS?

I'll give you a sentence to interpret:

"If I get a pay increase of £10,000 I could spend it on my priorities, like a new phone"

So, how much am I spending on a new phone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yudothis)
    I think you are underestimating how stupid the average person is.
    Elections are won on that very basis

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Wake up and smell the...
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.