Are brexiters the new immigrates?

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    The Britsih government is in enough trouble with the market and companies to try to influence a big company like Unilever. May is bending over backwards to appease Nissan and any other large company that threatens to leave Britain.

Brexiters have to face up to the fact they can't vote for one thing and expect everything else to go their way. There are upsides and downsides and inflation is the downside.

So stop acting like you weren't warned about the downsides and deal with it.
    The Bank of England is mandated to maintain a 2% rate of inflation, so it is not necessarily a downside to have higher inflation than we currently do at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    The Britsih government is in enough trouble with the market and companies to try to influence a big company like Unilever. May is bending over backwards to appease Nissan and any other large company that threatens to leave Britain.

Brexiters have to face up to the fact they can't vote for one thing and expect everything else to go their way. There are upsides and downsides and inflation is the downside.

So stop acting like you weren't warned about the downsides and deal with it.
    Without Britain they will sell less stock- which will devalue other stock. id rather have no money then immigrants in our country

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Observatory)
    The British economy is not "going downhill fast". The independent agencies that predicted recessions are reporting positive growth and continued reductions in unemployment.
    I would have thought you would have learned by now to avoid listening to 'experts'.

However there should be some golden opportunities for the UK to grow in coming years - if we end up with rising inflation and unemployment going up even after we have signalled our freedom from the shackles of the stagnant EU then people will never trust the Conservatives on the economy again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    I would have thought you would have learned by now to avoid listening to 'experts'.
    Right: either their predictions or their observations are wrong. I think it is more likely that the predictions are wrong than the observations, though, because it's harder to predict things than to measure them.

However there should be some golden opportunities for the UK to grow in coming years - if we end up with rising inflation and unemployment going up even after we have signalled our freedom from the shackles of the stagnant EU then people will never trust the Conservatives on the economy again.
    Unemployment is going down, though. Currency shifts are the only major change that could be spun as negative, but even then I'd be wary connecting the strength of the pound directly with living standards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usainlightning)
    The Bank of England is mandated to maintain a 2% rate of inflation, so it is not necessarily a downside to have higher inflation than we currently do at the moment.
    Inflation is not a big problem as long as income from wages and other sources like interest from savings matches it but where will increased wages come from and the BoE has already said it will not increase interest rates so people who depend on their savings will be poorer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBigMan2)
    Without Britain they will sell less stock- which will devalue other stock. id rather have no money then immigrants in our country
    This is the "Britain is really important so people will do as we say" argument. Britain has already found itself to be much less important than it thinks it is and even more so in the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    This is the "Britain is really important so people will do as we say" argument. Britain has already found itself to be much less important than it thinks it is and even more so in the future.
    Maybe the European project will collapse when we stop paying excessive fees and stop importing from them the Europeans are the only losers i'd buy zero from EU countries if it is up to me minus Russia we could do the whole of Europe in a war with no USA. We are sending tonnes of money to the EU in membership fees if they put tariffs on us they will lose out more than us BMW and VW sell around a million cars a year to us- they become expensive we need to stop importing them Europeans will lose jobs en masse- we are in a stronger position then the EU countries as we are in trade defecit with the EU

ReputationRep:
    Maybe the European project will collapse when we stop paying excessive fees and stop importing from them the Europeans are the only losers i'd buy zero from EU countries if it is up to me minus Russia we could do the whole of Europe in a war with no USA. We are sending tonnes of money to the EU in membership fees if they put tariffs on us they will lose out more than us BMW and VW sell around a million cars a year to us- they become expensive we need to stop importing them Europeans will lose jobs en masse- we are in a stronger position then the EU countries as we are in trade defecit with the EU
    We are talking about Britain, not the EU. Why should the collapse of the EU benefit Britain at all? Brexiters seem to think its better to in the gutter as long as they can drag other people down with them than to be successful by cooperating with other people. No wonder the rest of the world thinks Brexit is a big mistake.

Europeans also include British people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Observatory)
    Unemployment is going down, though. Currency shifts are the only major change that could be spun as negative, but even then I'd be wary connecting the strength of the pound directly with living standards.
    It's usually been right wingers who are obsessed about the strength of the pound and inflation.

For the last 20 to 30 years the neoliberal right has been obsessed with super low inflation as the main goal of macroeconomic policy as they say this is the key to macro stability but we've still seen huge macro turbulence and banking crises. When there have been other ideas suggested like from Olivier Blanchard at the IMF about having a higher inflation target or nominal GDP target, usually the right wingers come on saying "higher inflation rewards the feckless and punishes those that do the right thing" because it erodes the real value of debt (no bad thing in a heavily indebted economy) and reduces the real value of savings.

Also you can bet if a Labour government had won a General Election and the pound had fallen to the extent it has since Brexit, right wingers would be crowing about how this showed the markets verdict on Labour, never mind whether the pound was overvalued and in need of a devaluation.

Ashoka Mody (ex IMF, so another 'expert') argues that the effect of the plummeting pound will help rebalance the UK economy: it will mainly hit the financial services sector and the property sector and help make other industrial sectors more competitive.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...-a7353846.html

This would be no bad thing if it's true, but it will be interesting to see if there's any hand-wringing from the right on this as they have long warned Labour not to meddle with the City because it will kill the golden goose that brings in all our tax receipts and drive business away to Europe. Maybe all the property speculators and wealthy City types will jump ship to live in Euroland and enjoy the benefits of EU regulation and the open border migration policy, while workers in the UK will enjoy increased trade union power due to reducing the supply of labour from abroad which will help drive up wages and reduce the real return to owners of capital. Rejoice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    It's usually been right wingers who are obsessed about the strength of the pound and inflation.
    I don't remember anyone showing much interest in the strength of the pound in my lifetime much before 23rd June.

You are right about inflation taken broadly, but you are talking about something different to the Friedmanites. The Friedmanites want low inflation in the sense that they don't want the government to rapidly expand the money supply. Any additional inflation due to the drop in value of the pound against other currencies will be a real shock, not a result of loose monetary policy.

Also you can bet if a Labour government had won a General Election and the pound had fallen to the extent it has since Brexit, right wingers would be crowing about how this showed the markets verdict on Labour, never mind whether the pound was overvalued and in need of a devaluation.
    The pound did drop over the course of 2014 more in relative terms than it has dropped this year. I noticed this because I live abroad and my savings are no longer denominated in pounds, but I don't remember it being reported much in the press. If it was, certainly not much outside the financial pages.

Brexit has given meaning to the currency shift, which is only being reported because of Brexit. The currency shift is not, by past example, particularly notable in itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    We are talking about Britain, not the EU. Why should the collapse of the EU benefit Britain at all? Brexiters seem to think its better to in the gutter as long as they can drag other people down with them than to be successful by cooperating with other people. No wonder the rest of the world thinks Brexit is a big mistake.

Europeans also include British people.
    Britain is Britain Europe is Europe

What would you consider your self as

Race-Britsh or
    Race- European

I am English I don't like being called British, British is a unity word for immigrants who have gained our citizenship and to treat the UK as one entity,

I am not European- I am English. European is one word which covers the whole continent of Europe its a general term. I'd rather publically support Trump then be called European. The problem is many people are easily manipulated, our people will not take price increase after price increase, they will start buying supermarket own brands.

ReputationRep:
    i knew a lot of students were un self aware smart arses but this thread takes the ****ing biscuit. I'll bet most of you right wing brexiters are doing humanities subjects as well. If the fate of the country is in your hands then we're all ****ed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    But Slavs are literally a different race to Western germanic/nordic whites
    in what sense?

ReputationRep:

Race-Britsh or
    Race- European

I am English I don't like being called British, British is a unity word for immigrants who have gained our citizenship and to treat the UK as one entity,

I am not European- I am English. European is one word which covers the whole continent of Europe its a general term. I'd rather publically support Trump then be called European. The problem is many people are easily manipulated, our people will not take price increase after price increase, they will start buying supermarket own brands.
    So which continent is Britain on?

ReputationRep:
    We'd struggle to beat the French in a war never mind the rest.

The idea that we should suddenly cease all trade with our nearest neighbours is utterly retarded. 45% of our trade goes to the EU whereas 7% of theirs comes here, we also need to retain passporting for the city so aren't in as strong a position as you're claiming.

ReputationRep:

Race-Britsh or
    Race- European

Supermarket own brand stuff gets imported as well.

And Britain is in Europe, of course the land bridge that allowed some of our ancestors to migrate here isn't there any more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    So which continent is Britain on?
    If someone asked you where you lived would you say Britain or Europe?

ReputationRep:
    we import significantly more than we export to the EU so whats the point your trying to make. In August we exported 11 billion to the EU and imported 18 billion- a total of 7 billion upside down . Are you trying to tell me when we formally leave we will be worse off then the EU despite us spending more on eu exports then the EU spending on UK imports. We buy a lot of cars from EU countries if we as the British people stopped buying European made cars thousands of jobs will be lost in EU countries . ISIS could beat France in a war- plus we have the British empire. Are you a Liberal Democrats voter?

(Original post by JamesN88)
    We'd struggle to beat the French in a war never mind the rest.

The idea that we should suddenly cease all trade with our nearest neighbours is utterly retarded. 45% of our trade goes to the EU whereas 7% of theirs comes here, we also need to retain passporting for the city so aren't in as strong a position as you're claiming.

ReputationRep:
    If someone asked you where you lived would you say Britain or Europe?
    Why are you avoiding the question? Are you scared of being shown up?

ReputationRep:
    we import significantly more than we export to the EU so whats the point your trying to make. In August we exported 11 billion to the EU and imported 18 billion- a total of 7 billion upside down . Are you trying to tell me when we formally leave we will be worse off then the EU despite us spending more on eu exports then the EU spending on UK imports. We buy a lot of cars from EU countries if we as the British people stopped buying European made cars thousands of jobs will be lost in EU countries . ISIS could beat France in a war- plus we have the British empire. Are you a Liberal Democrats voter?
    Most Leave voters can't afford a new BMW, Mercedes or even a VW. I don't think the Germans are that bothered about people on low wages boycotting their cars.

Its the richer, better educated Remainers who can afford these higher end cars and they will continue to buy them.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.