What is the meaning of life?

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    To f*ck beetches

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RainbowMan)
    It doesn't have any. There are little bits of meaning you fit into your life and make it worth living. Find them. The philosophical discussion on the meaning of life seems to me to be horseshit.
    Philosophy is a response to mass confusion. Hmmm... got me thinking tho fam.

Do you conform to or reform philosophy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queenofswords)
    To f*ck beetches
    AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHH

No. :/

ReputationRep:
    Good question...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuba123)
    Philosophy is a response to mass confusion. Hmmm... got me thinking tho fam.

Do you conform to or reform philosophy?
    The **** is that supposed to mean?

Philosophy as in political philosophy or ethics, yes, I think they're worth pursuing. But the metaphysical parts are either nonsense or really difficult to understand let alone apply them in real life.

Am not sure if the question is nonsensical btw. I don't think it is, I just think the answer is as simple as that. There's no ultimate meaning that we all share in common.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RainbowMan)
    The **** is that supposed to mean?

Philosophy as in political philosophy or ethics, yes, I think they're worth pursuing. But the metaphysical parts are either nonsense or really difficult to understand let alone apply them in real life.

Am not sure if the question is nonsensical btw. I don't think it is, I just think the answer is as simple as that. There's no ultimate meaning that we all share in common.

okay

ReputationRep:
    To experience love, hate, happiness, loss.....anything you want it to be?

You do not need to ask people this question, it really is up to you.

ReputationRep:
    Life is like a modern painting, you'll never enjoy it if you try to understand it...

ReputationRep:
    It depends on your philosophy. Who are you? Materialist or idealist? Theist or atheist? Eternalist or annihilationist?

Different philosophies, different meanings.

Name:  1476748269466.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  18.8 KB

Name:  1476748327106.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  21.3 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    "We wanna get loaded and have a good time! We wanna have a party! That's what we wanna do!"

ReputationRep:
    Does there need to be a meaning - for us to respect each other or act morally?

How would or should a person consider if there is a meaning - or come about find that meaning?

ReputationRep:
    Whatever your unconscious decides is the meaning of your life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0907714)
    Whatever your unconscious decides is the meaning of your life.
    'unconscious' was that deliberate? XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onde)
    "We wanna get loaded and have a good time! We wanna have a party! That's what we wanna do!"
    Not all of us though. Some of us are looking for something more... o.o

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by da_nolo)
    Does there need to be a meaning - for us to respect each other or act morally?

How would or should a person consider if there is a meaning - or come about find that meaning?
    Not really, but some people really do need meaning otherwise they'll lose themselves. Others can just get on with it. Depends on you really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skunkboy)
    It depends on your philosophy. Who are you? Materialist or idealist? Theist or atheist? Eternalist or annihilationist?

Different philosophies, different meanings.

Name:  1476748269466.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  18.8 KB

Name:  1476748327106.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  21.3 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Idealist and theist... don't really know what the last two mean but isn't the latter a Christian belief?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Allie4)
    Life is like a modern painting, you'll never enjoy it if you try to understand it...
    That's beautiful x.
    But just like a beautiful painting you keep staring at it trying to figure out what it means. And even if it is written down you still try to come up with something or try to see it differently. Ah human nature tho.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by celiacheung85)
    To experience love, hate, happiness, loss.....anything you want it to be?

You do not need to ask people this question, it really is up to you.
    Sometimes it's just interesting to see what people think. We're all the same but so different. I guess understanding someone else's approach to life helps you figure out what to do - or it can just confuse you further. XD

ReputationRep:
    We don't really have any respected philosophical view on this but the most valid argument is nihilism. It doesn't really have a purpose apart from death. What comes after death? We can't know (Kant) It doesnt mean you can not be happy. You can live a happy life despite of it not having a purpose. I knew this thread is going to get contaminated by 'comedians' btw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuba123)
    Not really, but some people really do need meaning otherwise they'll lose themselves. Others can just get on with it. Depends on you really.
    Would a meaning be a reason then

or could we have a reason instead of a meaning?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 29, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.