Do you brush your teeth before breakfast or after?

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016
  • View Poll Results: Do you brush your teeth before breakfast or after?
    Before
    45.36%
    After
    54.64%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chazwomaq)
    And so does brushing after breakfast, with the added bonus of removing the cornflakes between your teeth, surely?
    The worry is that if you do it right after eating, brushing will erode that thin film on your teeth which make them more durable.

ReputationRep:
    You should always brush 30 minutes after eating, (definitely not before that just kills the purpose). Here’s why:
    According to the Mayo Clinic, if you've consumed anything acidic, you should avoid brushing your teeth for at least 30 minutes. Foods containing citric acid, like oranges, grapefruits and lemons, weaken tooth enamel. Brushing too soon after eating them can damage the enamel in its weakened state.

ReputationRep:
    After, to get rid of the food in your teeth and any smell. I don't eat acidic food for breakfast (just cereal/toast and coffee) so there's no harm in brushing right after before I go out. And even if I did, once or twice wouldn't do any harm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krilew)
    You should always brush 30 minutes after eating, (definitely not before that just kills the purpose). Here’s why:
    According to the Mayo Clinic, if you've consumed anything acidic, you should avoid brushing your teeth for at least 30 minutes. Foods containing citric acid, like oranges, grapefruits and lemons, weaken tooth enamel. Brushing too soon after eating them can damage the enamel in its weakened state.
    What you should say is that you should not brush until at least 30 minutes has elapsed since eating.
    Also it would be good if you could add the source of your quotation next time.
    http://www.colgate.com/en/us/oc/oral...d-for-you-0313
    Your own source suggests that 'consequently, it's a good idea to brush before eating an acidic food'.

The link below (as posted by @nexttime) gives an additional reason alongside the one you gave:
    The equation for caries is "plaque bacteria plus a fermentable carbohydrate equals acid." We can break the equation by removing either the plaque or the carbohydrate. Removing the plaque thoroughly before introducing the carbohydrate prevents acid production.
    http://www.rdhmag.com/articles/print...re-eating.html

Hence, I disagree that brushing before kills the purpose.

(Original post by ElspethC)
    After, to get rid of the food in your teeth and any smell. I don't eat acidic food for breakfast (just cereal/toast and coffee) so there's no harm in brushing right after before I go out. And even if I did, once or twice wouldn't do any harm.

The point of brushing teeth is not to get rid of food or smell; although they are useful additions to the brushing experience, you can achieve those things by other means. If you don't brush before, then the plaque bacteria that you haven't removed will produce acid from the point you consume those carbs you mentioned. Hence, you will still have acid in your mouth even if you don't consume something directly acidic.

Also, apart from the fact that this is not once or twice, one thing to remember in life is that it is a lot easier to destroy than to create. The same applies to enamel. I'm not saying that you should stress over it, but you may as well avoid it if you can as opposed to making an invalid excuse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RVNmax)
    What you should say is that you should not brush until at least 30 minutes has elapsed since eating.
    Also it would be good if you could add the source of your quotation next time.
    http://www.colgate.com/en/us/oc/oral...d-for-you-0313
    Your own source suggests that 'consequently, it's a good idea to brush before eating an acidic food'.

The link below (as posted by @nexttime) gives an additional reason alongside the one you gave:

http://www.rdhmag.com/articles/print...re-eating.html

Hence, I disagree that brushing before kills the purpose.

The point of brushing teeth is not to get rid of food or smell; although they are useful additions to the brushing experience, you can achieve those things by other means. If you don't brush before, then the plaque bacteria that you haven't removed will produce acid from the point you consume those carbs you mentioned. Hence, you will still have acid in your mouth even if you don't consume something directly acidic.

Also, apart from the fact that this is not once or twice, one thing to remember in life is that it is a lot easier to destroy than to create. The same applies to enamel. I'm not saying that you should stress over it, but you may as well avoid it if you can as opposed to making an invalid excuse.
    Anyhow, I’m glad I have prompt your response

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krilew)
    Anyhow, I’m glad I have prompt your response
    Just trying to help you and everyone else out.
    On that note, I'm off brush my teeth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElspethC)
    Coffee is very acidic.

ReputationRep:
    Before. There's a reason why your breath isn't fresh in the morning if you brushed the night before. All that toothpaste has been used to neutralise sugars and it has also been swallowed.

That means there is bacteria in your mouth that has doubled over 8 hours. Eating before brushing makes it worse, because your enamel is exposed, so while you crunch away, it's causing minor damage.

ReputationRep:
    After- it makes my mouth feel all fresh and clean again

ReputationRep:
    Before!!! Wouldnt wanna eat anything with a mouth and teeth that havent been brushed :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Where's the "neither" option? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chief Wiggum)
    Where's the "neither" option? :confused:
    It's either you brush them before or after, you cannot not brush them

ReputationRep:
    Like most normal people, I don't brush my teeth in the mornings.

ReputationRep:
    Both

ReputationRep:
    Why the heck would anyone do it before? If you clean your teeth well before you go to sleep, there is no reason to clean them before eating in the morning and you obviously need to wash them afterwards to get rid of the food…

ReputationRep:
    Before. Simply because...

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.