Is it a good idea to give homeless people money?

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I'mJustSomeGuy)
    Good philosophy.
    when i was in barcelona this year, we saw numerous people actually sleeping on the streets and the day we came back, we gave some our left over euros and what ever food we had left over

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by #ChaosKass)
    No. No, no, no.

No money, no food, no nothing. If they want it, they have to earn it. No handouts.
    I assume you''ve never taken a handoit from anyome then? Nit a freind, not a family member, not a random guy/girl trying to get in ur pants?

I assume you paid your parents back every penny they ever spent on you, never used a public road, school or other service because, you know, handouts are wrong.

ReputationRep:
    There are other, actual legitimate, ways of earning money than sitting at the side of the road waiting for bleeding heart leftie liberals to hand over their savings. Ever heard of getting a job?
    Try being homeless for a month and see how you survive with your attitude.

You nasty bitter cow.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. I've always been told that if I want to give something to a homeless person.

ReputationRep:
    There are other, actual legitimate, ways of earning money than sitting at the side of the road waiting for bleeding heart leftie liberals to hand over their savings. Ever heard of getting a job?
    It's easy to say "get a job" but in reality it's not that easy to get a job anymore. Most jobs require several years of experience so even educated individuals are struggling. Even with retail jobs, most require people with customer service experience for a certain number of months/years.

I personally think it's ok to give a homeless person some spare change or even buy them a sandwich or something. I'm from London and it's definitely not easy to find work here let alone find affordable housing. I think it just shows a bit of humanity to help those out who are in need. You never know, circumstances might end up putting you in their position one day.

ReputationRep:
    How do you expect them to get a job without smart, clean clothes? Without perhaps limited access to the internet, a phone, etc. for contact? it's very difficult to get a job without needing to be contacted in some way. What about young people that have been kicked out their homes by their parents with no money, only a basic education and no relevant experience for a job?

ReputationRep:
    i feel bad whenever i walk past homeless people and don't give money. they might assume its because i don't care but realistically most of the time i don't have any money on me thats why i have no other choice but to walk past. but when i do have money i do give, of course why not. no one knows their story plus theres nothing wrong with being charitable. only a few weeks ago when walking home from a night out i saw an older lady (mid 60s-early70s) wearing normal clothes but no coat and sitting on a duvet on the ground begging for money. looked as if she had been thrown out of her house. broke my heart and luckily i had a few pounds left so gave what i could. she could have been someones grandmother and i just think if that was my grandmother i would not want anyone to just ignore her and let her freeze and starve for that night

even sadder when you think about how staunch some people are against giving a few quid out to someone in need but when it comes to say impressing a woman/group of women or your friends by playing the big shot or buying some expensive designer brands people are happy to fritter money away. really, no one can spare £10 from the lot you already spend to give to ten beggars?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    Being an empiricist isn't extrapolating complete generalisations from a single case. You'd make a terrible scientist.
    every single homeless person I've met is like that though
    100%. all of them.
    do you want me to give homeless people money then?
    because what's the definition of "insanity"?
    jesus christ - I have no clue why you're defending people who have been shut out of all of their friends and family's lives for obviously being such incompetent yet scheming rats - why on earth do you think they're homeless? because they "fell on hard times"? give me a ****ing break. I think I have a lot more experience of homeless people than you, somehow.
    PS: and those homeless people with dogs are the absolute worst. if they gave a **** about their dogs' health they'd send them to the RSPCA. their dogs are nothing but a prop to make people feel sorry for the dog more than the bum himself, so that's just more evidence that these people are scheming vermin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shahida sulaiman)
    I think what u r doing is a really nice thing and u have a really big heart! I don't think u should stop doing it cuz ur intentions are good so u gave them money now its up to them if they want to spend it in a wrong or right way so don't worry a lot!
    Okay thanks

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks
    Ur welcome !

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if this is wise or not because I've had people tell me that they may end up buying drugs or alcohol with the money. I just feel sorry for them so I want to at least give a little bit of help by giving them money. They're always really generous too.
    I don't see why it's a bad thing if they go and spend it on drugs and alcohol. They have a terrible life, it's completely understandable they would turn to such things. In these circumstances, I wouldn't begrudge them wanting to escape reality.

I know that some people who aren't comfortable with giving them money buy them a sandwich instead. It's totally up to you. But do keep in mind a lot of people begging for money aren't homeless, and many of them actually make okay money from it (i.e. enough to support a drug habit, at least). If you really want to help homeless people, there are charities where you can help at soup kitchens and so on.

ReputationRep:
    What about if people agreed to give their cash to a homeless charity like Shelter or Crisis rather than people on the street? That way it would actually do some good rather than buying drugs or alcohol. Maybe set up a direct debit for a couple of quid a month.

I've only ever given money to a homeless person once in my life. A guy in his early 30s outside Edinburgh train station. Had a couple of rucksacks with him, and his record of service from the army. I'm ex army so I could tell it looked genuine. I was on my way to a meeting but stopped for a couple of minutes to chat. Turns out we used to know a few of the same people in Germany. I listened to his story about how he struggled to get a job once he'd left and his wife had left him and eventually couldn't afford his flat and had nowhere else to go. He'd been living rough for a few months and was so grateful I'd stopped to talk with him. He said he'd been in touch with SSAFA (a charity helping serving and former members of the military) who were in the process of getting him a flat. I gave him a tenner (all I had in my wallet) and he was almost in tears - he said it would get him a night in a hostel with a bath and he could get off the streets for a day.

He wasn't there when I came back later in the day, and I haven't seen him any other time I've been in the city. I hope he's managed to get his life back on track.

Whenever I do sponsored events (ran a few marathons and the Marathon des Sables) I do it for SSAFA.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.