Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_1988)
    It's a mystery, surely d would have mentioned something if a new amin was to be appointed?

Something fishy's going on
    I agree. He's proplery just calling himself an adim. I remember in an old forum i belonged to tried to pretend to be the adim by creating another account with the same name, avatar and sig. The only difference was about 7,000 posts on the post count.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    I agree. He's proplery just calling himself an adim. I remember in an old forum i belonged to tried to pretend to be the adim by creating another account with the same name, avatar and sig. The only difference was about 7,000 posts on the post count.
    He's set as an admin though..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    but he is an admin as his name is in red and the only person who could have appointed himself there is d, so it's very odd :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    So why is he listed as an administator and has his account name in red?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Louise_1988)
    but he is an admin as his name is in red and the only person who could have appointed himself there is d, so it's very odd :confused:
    especially considering that d is apparantly "away" until september :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    If the site security is dodgy, and the experiences of vienna et al suggest that they are, then someone could have hacked themselves in and apointed themselves...
    That's exactly what I was thinking.

BUT, BIG BUT: How can a new admin be appointed when d is away on holiday until September?!!!

Is it the hacker?!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Invisible)

BUT, BIG BUT: How can a new admin be appointed when d is away on holiday until September?!!!

Is it the hacker?!
    they'd have to have hacked into d's account

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Yes - But if they can hack into Vienna's account, then why not d's? It can't be so special can it, it has a password like everyone elses.

ReputationRep:

Is it the hacker?!
    As people have said, we surely would have been informed if we had a new admin.

ReputationRep:
    The plot thickens...

ReputationRep:
    Looks like the hacker to me. Does anyone know how to find IP addresses - then I can tell you.

ReputationRep:
    I just think it's amazingly suspicious that we've had these account hackings yesterday, and the day after we magically have a new administrator despite d being away on holiday until September.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Yes - But if they can hack into Vienna's account, then why not d's? It can't be so special can it, it has a password like everyone elses.
    I thought most people were of the opinion that the "hacker" had simply guessed vienna's password...and vienna is a public member of the forum while d is very private about himself so guessing his password would be much trickier.

If someone was able to hack into people's accounts without the password then surely the "hacker" would have had a look at a few more peoples pms than just vienna's/swatfa/an Siarach's?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    Looks like the hacker to me. Does anyone know how to find IP addresses - then I can tell you.
    Only the mods can do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdawn)
    The plot thickens...
    But surely he'd be the hacker's target though? Hack into d's account, and you have everyone else's as well, as well as the whole Forum control.

ReputationRep:
    But surely he'd be the hacker's target though? Hack into d's account, and you have everyone else's as well, as well as the whole Forum control.
    This could be the beginning of the end!!! :eek:
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Chubb)
    only the mods can view IPs and even then only if the person involved has posted (which was how vienna's hacker has managed to stay anonymous so far - whoever it was had the knowledge about the system not to make any posts)

ReputationRep:
    I thought most people were of the opinion that the "hacker" had simply guessed vienna's password...and vienna is a public member of the forum while d is very private about himself so guessing his password would be much trickier.

If someone was able to hack into people's accounts without the password then surely the "hacker" would have had a look at a few more peoples pms than just vienna's/swatfa/an Siarach's?
    Guess the password? I don't believe that...

Personally, I think this new admin is to do with the hacking, it seems so suspicious. All I know is:

1.) We've had the account hackings yesterday.
    2.) d is on holiday, yet a new admin magically appears.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    d's account doesn't give read access of PMs - only access to the server would enable that (correct me if I'm wrong moncal but that was my take on what you said yesterday).

ReputationRep:
    only the mods can view IPs and even then only if the person involved has posted (which was how vienna's hacker has managed to stay anonymous so far - whoever it was had the knowledge about the system not to make any posts)
    Actualy we think we have Vienna's hacker - hes in China.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.