Turn on thread page Beta

2017 Mathematics Applicants Thread watch

• View Poll Results: Which 5 universities have you applied to?
    Cambridge
    30.29%
    Oxford
    33.61%
    Warwick
    48.55%
    Bath
    37.34%
    Durham
    25.73%
    Imperial
    42.32%
    UCL
    28.22%
    St Andrews
    16.18%
    Nottingham
    24.48%
    Newcastle
    5.81%
    Bristol
    26.97%
    Edinburgh
    12.45%
    Birmingham
    10.79%
    Manchester
    13.69%
    Exeter
    14.94%
    Other
    52.28%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qeyoo)
    I was told at the open day they automatically give offers to anyone predicted AAA

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Woah, let's hope so haha. Does seem a bit good to be true though, especially if they want STEP and to do well in STEP you probably need an A* at A Level :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qeyoo)
    Self teaching FP topics sounds like a fab idea, I'm really enjoying learning them. My MAT scores have varied between 37 and 79 so hoping for something at the 79 end for the real thing. My main problem is staying calm, both in the MAT and interview, I tend to do it better and in less time if I don't feel stressed, which is why I'm p upset about my exams dept ignoring my exam arrangements.

It's amazing how much your opinion can change over a year tbh, last year I was thinking about dropping out of double maths because I didn't feel good enough for it, yet here I am now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, when i picked my options i had my eyes set on doing Medicine and that just went downhill, and i have enjoyed Maths so much, and have always been good at it, it just seemed the obvious option.

I am getting 45-55% consistently, got my head around the multiple choices mostly but i can never usually answer any of either Q2 or Q3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamic_Vicz)
    Congrats! Why didn't you do FM?
    Didn't want to take on that much maths incase i didn't like it at A level, but then the exact opposite happened, thats one big regret of mine, but it hopefully won't effect me too much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TonyClough1)
    Didn't want to take on that much maths incase i didn't like it at A level, but then the exact opposite happened, thats one big regret of mine, but it hopefully won't effect me too much
    Doesn't seem like it. You got an offer from Bristol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamic_Vicz)
    Doesn't seem like it. You got an offer from Bristol.
    I know yeah, the offer is only AAA which is just amazing as well

ReputationRep:
    Name: Injective
    AS Results: AAA
    A2 (Predicted/Achieved): A*A*A*
    UMS (Optional): 96 across all 3 subjects
    Universities applied to: Will be applying during my gap year.UK universities: Cambridge, LSE, Warwick, Bath and Nottingham
    I will be applying to US universities, too.
    Fun fact: Pres. of Debating Society, Self Employed Tutor and Work for Startup part time.

ReputationRep:
    Scottish Student but
    Nat 5s: 8 As
    Highers: 5As (predicted another A this year)
    Advanced higher: 1A (predicted 3 more this year)
    I've applied to Oxford, Imperial, St Andrews, Edinburgh and Bath
    Got an unconditional from Edinburgh 2 days after sending my application away still waiting on responses from the rest. I'm absolutely dreading the MAT, not doing well at all in past papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dididid)
    anybody heard back from warwick or bristol?
    Got an offer from Warwick today.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    only got an offer from Leeds maths so far

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know when imperial normally start handing out offers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richardhello)
    Offer from London Met for mathematics BSc! Just waiting on Wolverhampton, Roehampton and Leeds Beckett now.
    Great choices.

Although, I must say, I slightly prefer the ones you applied for to Chemical Engineering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cryptokyo)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Congrats g

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naruke)
    Congrats g
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaurenLovesMaths)
    Woah, let's hope so haha. Does seem a bit good to be true though, especially if they want STEP and to do well in STEP you probably need an A* at A Level :/
    It's not too good to be true, the offer is really high, so they select on results day, not when giving out offers. Trust me, you'll get an offer if you're predicted AAA

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qeyoo)
    It's not too good to be true, the offer is really high, so they select on results day, not when giving out offers. Trust me, you'll get an offer if you're predicted AAA

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yep i think last year they gave out offers of A*A*A*- A*AA + Step to anyone predicted AAB or above

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KloppOClock)
    Does anyone know when imperial normally start handing out offers
    Some of my friends got offers a few days ago, I haven't heard from them yet but I applied for Maths&CS. You shouldn't worry about it though, there's plenty of time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cryptokyo)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well done!

Got an offer today. lolUnfortunately, my college had already forced me to apply, although I'm going to be rejecting any offers and applying in my gap year as it gives me more time to go and visit unis abroad.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Why is bristol taking so long with an offer/rejection?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    Name: Lauren
    AS Results: AA (Maths & FM)
    A2 (Predicted/Achieved): A*AAA (Maths, FM, Physics & History respectively)
    UMS (Optional): 96.7 av for maths & FM combined
    Universities applied to: Cambridge, Warwick (offer), Leeds (offer), Lancaster (offer) and Bath.
    Fun fact: I'm the only one applying to Cambridge from my school & the only one applying to do maths at uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaurenLovesMaths)
    Ah, yeah. Warwick give out offers to absolutely anybody who can twiddle two thumbs for maths, I've never heard of anyone who didn't get an offer.

Although they've screwed up their admissions criteria this year, removed STEP and put in more A-Levels which is (imo) the stupidest thing any uni could do.

(Original post by Injective)
    Well done! Got an offer today. lolUnfortunately, my college had already forced me to apply, although I'm going to be rejecting any offers and applying in my gap year as it gives me more time to go and visit unis abroad.

Or you could just ask them for a deferred offer instead of rejecting them...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2017
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.