Turn on thread page Beta

Heathrow third runway approved, Goldsmith resigns watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    A few labour MPs are calling for labour to not stand a candidate in the by election to encourage their supporters to vote for the Lib dem candidate.

The left and centre left working together? Pah no chance.

I predict that Goldsmith will win but that the Lib Dem + Labour vote will be higher than Goldsmith's and once again I will be complaining about how much more effective the left and centre left could be if they actually worked together like they did in 1997.
    Less likely now with the current degree of "leftness" of Labour. Blair was practically centre so such a pact was far more palatable for LDs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PariahEmir)
    Less likely now with the current degree of "leftness" of Labour. Blair was practically centre so such a pact was far more palatable for LDs.
    The Lib Dems were left of labour from 1997-2010

ReputationRep:
    Expand Gatwick AND Heathrow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    The Lib Dems were left of labour from 1997-2010
    For some reason I got the impression from your original post that you were saying the opposite. My mistake.

Think my point still stands that the gap is larger now than back then. Paddy was quite left as far as LDs go, but nevertheless would still see him as more aligned with Blair in 97 than LDs and Labour now. Also, if you add in SNP, there is more generally a lot of anathema between Left/Centre parties nowadays over other issues which is proving an (unnecessary and counter-productive) obstacle to any such bilateral cooperation.

ReputationRep:
    Heathrow, despite the environmental implications, was the only viable option for Theresa May's government to choose. Being a pragmatic leader, Theresa May has put her previous qualms about the project behind her and has backed the airport expansion that will see growth across Britain not just in the South East.

Zac Goldsmith should realise that being narrow-minded about this expansion vote is not in the interests of the country and that his actions put another barrier between the Government and a successful Britain. He now risks losing his Conservative seat to the Liberal Democrats and hence further narrowing the Conservative majority - surely supporting core Conservative values, a strong economy for instance, is more important than his own PR stunt against the only economically viable option!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 26, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.