Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteamboatMickey)
    It was the worst choice but I was pressured into English Language when I was enrolling, and it's the dullest subject I've ever taken! If I could go back and change, I would have taken English Lit, History, Philosophy and German.
    Do you fluently speak German or is it because of the sheer amount of Hitler content there is in History
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Maths is Life)
    Do you fluently speak German or is it because of the sheer amount of Hitler content there is in History
    Neither, surprisingly, I just think the language is entertaining and if I had to take any language it would be German.

ReputationRep:
    used to get A*s in subjects like history, recently did a test and got a D. ngl i was pretty happy w that.

btw im predicted A* in a lot of subjects. :/ when im at home im motivated and eager to do better and **** but then i come to school and everything is drained from me *shrug* not much i can do tbh

ReputationRep:
    I will be studying physics at a world top 10 uni next year, despite being labelled a lazy good-for-nothing kid as a child.
    I was never exactly stupid academically, but I never worked hard; I never memorised stuff and was consequently terrible at stuff like history and literature. Even at maths, I never memorised my times tables and was therefore unable to solve any problem that had to do with multiplication and the like. At one point though, my interest in academics was heightened and I started actually paying an effort and turned out to be somewhat good at it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oShahpo)
    I will be studying physics at a world top 10 uni next year, despite being labelled a lazy good-for-nothing kid as a child.
    I was never exactly stupid academically, but I never worked hard; I never memorised stuff and was consequently terrible at stuff like history and literature. Even at maths, I never memorised my times tables and was therefore unable to solve any problem that had to do with multiplication and the like. At one point though, my interest in academics was heightened and I started actually paying an effort and turned out to be somewhat good at it.
    Grades doe?
    Uni doe?
    Degree doe?

Physics yoooo have fun with the PAT

ReputationRep:
    i was a weak student who didnt really care about gcses cuz my parents divorced and i was thinking in the short term/messing about acting out etc.....did average at school and college and at uni still pretty average but am proactive in seeking out oppurtunities to meet people and put down hard evidence on my cv to show i want to pursue a career in a certain area (Law).....hoping to get some interviews for that but anyway i have a interview with jp morgan so if someone like me can do it then you can to! keep the faith! i was told not to apply to russel group unis or not to do law as it was out of my reach, people doubted me at every turn but you just have to have the confidence in yourself as not many substitutes for hard work and desire

ReputationRep:
    Grades doe?
    Uni doe?
    Degree doe?

Physics yoooo have fun with the PAT
    I have already done my exams and have an unconditional offer (deferred entry). I got 3A*s and an A (in Maths, FMaths, Physics and Chemistry respectively with an average UMS of 98% in physics and 97 in maths and further maths).

ReputationRep:
    I got below par grades at GCSE and very mediocre grades at A level, only at degree level did i get top marks.

I had to work damn hard for those average grades though lol.

ReputationRep:
    I have already done my exams and have an unconditional offer (deferred entry). I got 3A*s and an A (in Maths, FMaths, Physics and Chemistry respectively with an average UMS of 98% in physics and 97 in maths and further maths).
    Not alot of people get A*s in Chemistry? You should condisder resitting for fun

ReputationRep:
    Not alot of people get A*s in Chemistry? You should condisder resitting for fun
    The grade boundaries for last year were insane.

ReputationRep:
    The grade boundaries for last year were insane.
    There's a lot of clever Chemists isn't there then...

But yeah I'm curious to know what you're doing in your gap year other than work?

ReputationRep:
    There's a lot of clever Chemists isn't there then...

But yeah I'm curious to know what you're doing in your gap year other than work?
    full time volunteering with CityYear (as a pupil mentor in a primary) and also reading Spivak's Calculus (real analysis book).

ReputationRep:
    full time volunteering with CityYear (as a pupil mentor in a primary) and also reading Spivak's Calculus (real analysis book).
    Ooo gotta love me some calculus.
    Primary school could be a bit meh

ReputationRep:
    By the third semester of First Year, I wasn't even a once-a-week student.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    In my first year of AS I got BUUU (mainly because I hated my subjects and didn't feel motivated enough to go through them)

This year, I got enough to get an offer from a Russell Group who want AAB from me

Spoiler:
    Show
    Pray for me plz.
    Whoa! How did that happen? What were your predicted grades?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    :angelwings:Praying for you...

ReputationRep:
    well, I went from CDDE to A*AAC so I guess so

ReputationRep:
    From weak to mediocre/underperforming.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You resitting some AS exams?
    General Paper?

Apparently Accounting is consider 'soft'
    No. No resitting
    Yeah Accounting is the subject I prefer doing however MCQs are tricky(having last internal exam here)

Actually here, we do all exams in one year, the AS and A2s one (Cambridge). In lower sixth , it's internal exams and Upper Six, Cambridge

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Haha yeah, colleges will always burden you with these stupid predicted grades based on your GCSE results... something like you will get in A level two grades below your average GCSE grades or something... it's a load of schnitzel. It doesn't take into account change in motivation and aspirations, change in the persons academic ability as their brain develops and matures as they get older, change in subject and exam methods etc...I got mainly B's and C's at GCSE. Even a couple dreaded D's.Now i'm getting straight A's in Science A levels because... shock... i'm actually motivated to study and have more idea of what i want to do now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trevish)
    Hi! I was wondering if you guys were once a weak student getting results like Cs in the past and now has been able to get As or even A*s.

The reason I'm asking that is in primary school I was a bright student, received straight As( 4A*s & 2As) and getting a B was like bad for me at that time. Thanks to my 6th grade results, I was admitted to one of the best secondary schools( star college) of the country( In my country, when we are done 6th grade, the govt allocate to schools based on our results).

Now I'm in 12th grade(ending the year this week) and soon to be in 13th grade. My O level results were 2As 4Bs and 2Ds and I was somewhat satisfied with the results( even with the Ds where i thought I would failed) and I believe this attitude is bad. In short, I'm becoming weaker in studies especially in Maths where i'm struggling the most ( used to get As and A*s). I want to bring back the days where I had awesome results, that's why I want you guys to share your stories to get some Motivation!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Maths and Further Maths. Went from C in a mock exam to A* in just 4 months.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.