Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    1) Maths. I'm not one of those people who is naturally gifted with Maths (though I found GCSE easy). I started the year getting a U in my first practise test in class, and by the end of AS-level I achieved a grade b. In terms of the time I put in to improving, Maths was by far the hardest for me. Dropped it after AS-level, but that b is still one of my proudest achievements.2) Chemistry. Big step up from GCSE, though didn't find it too hard. Certain topics were hard to grasp at first and you have to practise a fair amount to become good at certain things.3) Biology. Tbh, I found this easy, but very content heavy.4) English lit. Super easy for me. I'm naturally really good at English. I love reading anyway, especially classics, so I found comparison to other literature easy. And, like, beyond extra things (like considering different critical views), essay writing doesn't really change much from GCSE to A-level. Workload was low and revision effort was low too, IMO, because the only thing you really needed to do was remember quotes and the different critical interpretations.

ReputationRep:
    History - Learning the content isn't hard, but properly analysing debates and writing good essays is an arcane art.

Government and Politics - The concepts all flow logically, but sometimes you'll get a surprising question where you're not exactly sure what knowledge you should be applying.

Applied Law - Despite this being a BTEC, the assignments actually require some critical thinking and knowledge of the concepts, for when you have to criticise the law and explore possible reforms. Aside from that though, the structure of the course is easy, just do your assignments and come out with a Distinction*.

Literature - This was my most difficult subject nearly all the way through AS, but I had a moment when it clicked and now it's my easiest. I'm really good at squeezing out interpretations from texts now and the AO's are straightforward, but if you haven't had the 'click' yet then Lit can seem impossibly difficult.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Gogregg)
    This is only at AS for me personally (from hardest to easiest)

Biology
    Chemistry
    Maths/Further Maths

I ended up getting AAAA (I came in with A*A*A*A^ at GCSE) and dropped FMaths, not because I couldn't do it, but it wasn't suited for my course and I wasn't taking 4 A-Levels.
    how you study and how much you take time for revision any tips because I just start my A LEVELS

ReputationRep:
    1) Further Maths - Further Pure modules are excruciating to study until truly competent and even then, a huge deal of lateral thinking is required for the tougher exam questions. FP2 is loooooong.

2) Physics - Lots of content that must not only be memorised accurately and in detail but also mastered in order to be able to solve the questions requiring mathematical and qualitative application. They may demand knowledge from various parts of the syllabus, and you have to decide which parts.

3) Chemistry - As with physics, a lot of content to memorise so not good for those like me who put things off a lot ("I'll memorise the colours of transition metal compounds on the way to the exam; they're only colours so it won't take long." *forgets half of them in the exam*)

4) Maths - As with FM, some difficult questions require lateral thinking but they appear with lesser frequency than in FM, and having studied FM I had gained more competence in calculus than C3 or C4 could ever have demanded.

5) German - In short I found languages a doss (you have to put the time in but if you know what you're doing it's far more straightforward than revising for any of the above subjects). The only reason that German ranks above Japanese is due to the oral component and the depth of analysis required in the essay section.

6) Japanese - Doesn't even have a speaking component. Essay section was okay compared to German. Translations demand a high degree of specificity with little leeway, but the distinct lack of kanji we were expected to memorise for the A2 exam leads me to rank Japanese as my easiest A Level subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lazybutmotivated)
    Rank your A-level hardest to softest

1.Chemistry - the maths element is hard, much to memorise

2. biology -the subject content is not hard but getting used to the exam technique is.

3. History - not especially hard but still not exactly easy

4. Gov & politics - just need to read the news and understand what is going on. Then write essays on things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smartsy)
    1) Further Maths - Further Pure modules are excruciating to study until truly competent and even then, a huge deal of lateral thinking is required for the tougher exam questions. FP2 is loooooong.

2) Physics - Lots of content that must not only be memorised accurately and in detail but also mastered in order to be able to solve the questions requiring mathematical and qualitative application. They may demand knowledge from various parts of the syllabus, and you have to decide which parts.

3) Chemistry - As with physics, a lot of content to memorise so not good for those like me who put things off a lot ("I'll memorise the colours of transition metal compounds on the way to the exam; they're only colours so it won't take long." *forgets half of them in the exam*)

4) Maths - As with FM, some difficult questions require lateral thinking but they appear with lesser frequency than in FM, and having studied FM I had gained more competence in calculus than C3 or C4 could ever have demanded.

5) German - In short I found languages a doss (you have to put the time in but if you know what you're doing it's far more straightforward than revising for any of the above subjects). The only reason that German ranks above Japanese is due to the oral component and the depth of analysis required in the essay section.

6) Japanese - Doesn't even have a speaking component. Essay section was okay compared to German. Translations demand a high degree of specificity with little leeway, but the distinct lack of kanji we were expected to memorise for the A2 exam leads me to rank Japanese as my easiest A Level subject.
    Okay but why would you do 6 Alevels?

ReputationRep:
    Currently in Year 12 :

1. Economics
    2. Maths,Biology and chemistry are at the same level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Connor27)
    For me personally:

2.) French (All langauages are hard at a level as you need to be virtually fluent to get an A/A*)
    I disagree with this. I got an A for French in two years, having never studied it before. And I'm not some genius, I'm very average. It just takes a lot of work and dedication, but you certainly don't 'need to be virtually fluent'.

ReputationRep:
    Computing: is surprisingly difficult to get an A in - certainly a few years ago it was the subject awarded the least number of top grades.

Modern Foreign Language: despite my post above, they are certainly on the more difficult end of the spectrum - there's a lot of skills to master, a LOT to memorise and various layers of complexity.

Further Maths - unless you're a maths whizz, there's some fairly difficult concepts to master and the questioning is much more abstruse and 'applied' in format.

ReputationRep:
    Right now for me hardest to easiest

1.EnglishLanguage and literature - so easy to procrastinate with and haven't got the hang of it

2.Geography - Lots of content, lots of case studies and lots of essays

3.Government and politics - I love this subject so I can't find it hard. not good with timing yet i guess

4. History - love it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Connor27)
    Banter, you've obviously never done history then, if you're not specific in that you'll get solid Ds all the way through
    You've got to be specific in English lit as well, luckily I enjoy it so just write like I did at GCSE- I haven't changed anything cos there isn't anything to change- everything we've always been expected to do anyway is now in the form of AO objectives

ReputationRep:
    1) maths - struggling due to no interest, looking to swap to Chemistry
    2) biology - awful teacher which made it hard to learn
    3) Psychology- love it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Physical Education is extremely hard

ReputationRep:
    Home Economics.

ReputationRep:
    Well at my failed attempt at year 12 last year
    1) Maths -even writing it brings horrible flashbacks. Mechanics was the WORST!
    2) Chemistry- I really liked/like it though but I couldn't grasp the content and I had a patronising, overly critical (a little racist) teacher
    3) Biology- The only difficulty is the huge amount of content you have to remember
    4) Philosophy and Ethics- a breeze, going to these classes took the stress away from other subjects

Now
    1) Biology- I understand the content very well but need to improve my exam answers
    2) Chemistry- need to stop making silly mistakes and i don't very good practical skills because the group i was in last year never let me do anything
    3) Psychology- love it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Izzie1234567)
    Pm If you need any help with the grammar. I'd be happy to explain it 😄.
    Thank you, that's so sweet of you! I think it's mainly that I'm comfortable identifying cases etc, but have a lot of trouble piecing it all together?

ReputationRep:
    1. maths, biology, chemistry and psychology - all equally challenging because they require a lot of work and im doing 4 a2 levels. yay(!) - 12 exams at the end of this year (yr 13). oh well, can't moan because i chose to do them and i enjoy it. but maths is hard since im not great at maths (CCA in c1, c2 and s1 respectively so i got a B overall)

ReputationRep:
    1 - Chemistry
    2 - Biology
    3 - Physics
    4 - Mathematics

ReputationRep:
    English Literature: In essence, due to having three different teachers for the three different sections, i am constantly doing individual homework's and that means that i don't really exercise equal amounts of time/effort on individual sections, plus time management is awful.
    Latin: Doesn't even merit an explanation, just impossible! (sounds bourgeois af though), doesn't help that i only picked it up this year...

History: Although i love history and it is, without a doubt my most interesting subject, but with regards to the actual exams they are horrible, the level of specificity that is required is a huge jump from GCSE and again time management is an issue.
    Economics: Having never studied it at GCSE i was initially unsure as to what the course would entail, so far its been relatively easy, however, the mathematical element is totally confusing so unless that contributes to only a fraction of the course then its bye bye economics.

Gov & Politics: By far my favourite subject and the one that i am best at, partially due to it being so relevant to my interests! The topic which i am currently studying (American Presidents) is brilliant because it has nostalgic links (BO1 zombies) and my teacher is a legend

ReputationRep:
    so im gonna have a list of 3 (doing 3 A2's) however i also do AS further maths this year and i cant just have a second list for AS topics as after one year of maths the first year of FM then becomes stupidly easy. all aspects of challenge in the pure stuff are covered in early second year maths or first year (algebraic division/factor theorem, and chain rule) and for the other two topics you can pick the easiest one, D1 and then whatever you feel is easiest for the third.
    Here's the list:

1. Physics, i'm very good at maths but unless you do mechanics in you first year of maths aswell, the mechanics kills. I couldnt undrstand it all year and luckly the exam wasnt based mostly around that. Also unless you do further maths and choose to do advanced mechanics, the second year mechanics isnt too much easier. Electricity questions can sometimes be worded very wierdly and the questions there easily cost everyone many marks. All revision has to be on doing past papers as i knew 90% of the knowledge and at AS i still got a D

2. Chemistry, the AS stuff only makes 100% sense when you do advanced stuff based on it at A2, the maths involved isn't too bad. If you don't do maths A level there's little extra maths you need to know. even logs is just put stuff in a formula and get marks. However it is a big challenge and is 50/50 in knowing the knowledge and how to answer the question, because of that i got a B at AS and so far the A2 isn't too bad (unless ur teacher is like mine and sets ridiculous tests and demotivates u completly :/)

3. Maths, i enjoy it therefore i understand stuff easier therefore i need to ask less questions therefore i need less revision therefore i do better. All revision again is based around past paper questions as there's no theory you need to learn in the sense like chem/physics. Just remember a method, how/why it works and you're fine.

tl;dr Physics, chemistry maths

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.