Turn on thread page Beta

How does the stock market work exactly? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sound of silence)
    You don't think it's interesting whether a teenager has made £55k from scratch? I advise you never to go on any poker forum if that's the case, dude.
    Not particularly. Quite frankly, I don't care. If he has to lie to feel good about himself, whatever, none of my business. Equally as, if he has made some money, good on him, but seeing as he;s not going to share it with me regardless, it's still none of my business.

(Original post by Axion)
    If someone wants to claim something that is totally ridiculous, then they should stand behind their facts, and that is what he is doing. Did anyone ask you to get involved with a mindless comment?
    I'm surprised at the whole lot of mindless comments that are going on in this thread. Whole lotta jelly people showing up. If the guy's lying, is it really that big of a deal? It's the Internet, people lie on here more often than they lie in court.

And if he's not lying, what are you (and everyone else who seems to have joined in on this witch hunt) going to do about it? Calling ******** is one thing, but don't you think this is a little excessive? I mean, on one hand I applaud your conviction in following this through, but on the other hand I'm questioning why you're bothering and what you stand to gain if you "prove" that he is lying.

Not that I can really question how you're spending your time seeing as I'm now party to this too and want to see how it ends purely because I have bugger all else better to do (and also how everyone else is going to react to the dramatic conclusion as human behaviour fascinates me).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    Not particularly. Quite frankly, I don't care. If he has to lie to feel good about himself, whatever, none of my business. Equally as, if he has made some money, good on him, but seeing as he;s not going to share it with me regardless, it's still none of my business.

I'm surprised at the whole lot of mindless comments that are going on in this thread. Whole lotta jelly people showing up. If the guy's lying, is it really that big of a deal? It's the Internet, people lie on here more often than they lie in court.

And if he's not lying, what are you (and everyone else who seems to have joined in on this witch hunt) going to do about it? Calling ******** is one thing, but don't you think this is a little excessive? I mean, on one hand I applaud your conviction in following this through, but on the other hand I'm questioning why you're bothering and what you stand to gain if you "prove" that he is lying.

Not that I can really question how you're spending your time seeing as I'm now party to this too and want to see how it ends purely because I have bugger all else better to do (and also how everyone else is going to react to the dramatic conclusion as human behaviour fascinates me).
    Sadly this delusion of fake profits can turn some people towards darker things. There are hundreds of fairly prolific financial scams run by early twenty year olds off fronts like Facebook and twitter promising huge profits with special 'systems'. In reality, they are fake schemes whereby the scammer makes money when people deposit cash with dodgy brokerage firms that are exceptionally hard to get money out of. Check foreign exchange or binary options scams out.

This is categorically not the same, but making false claims like this can mislead people into bad decisions. Moreover, it's not even remotely believable. 'Results' needs to understand that people will see through daft claims in an instant, and that will have repercussions for him later on. His story does not even remotely stack up.

Edit: And I won't lie. When someone tries to feed you some BS, it's fun to take apart their arguments in turn. Just like 'Results' needing former CEOs, COOs etc all as mentors for very short-term trading in what he openly admits is a 50-50, black or red, pure punt trading exercise, which is obviously a load of pish. And of course, he happens to show an old screenshot of over 20 trades, none of which are losses, and many of which are tiny, tiny profits. So his 'proof' doesn't even match his fake or at least, exaggerated, rhetoric.

ReputationRep:
    It's everyone's "business" when someone makes an interesting claim on a public forum, thus inviting commentary.

More to the point, if this topic doesn't interest you, what on earth are you doing here?

Equally fascinating are simpletons like yourself who must assume that every single action or behaviour is due to "jealousy" or "insecurity". People genuinely interested in trading will find this claim interesting. It is no different in the poker community - people make threads every single day on the 2+2 forums with outlandish claims that either a) get falsified or b) get verified and people follow their journey or learn something new or are motivated themselves that it is possible. Don't be so cynical about people's intentions just because one person in this thread decided to troll. The only thing excessive is you writing three paragraphs to white knight someone for the sake of your own self-righteousness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Axion)
    Sadly this delusion of fake profits can turn some people towards darker things. There are hundreds of fairly prolific financial scams run by early twenty year olds off fronts like Facebook and twitter promising huge profits with special 'systems'. In reality, they are fake schemes whereby the scammer makes money when people deposit cash with dodgy brokerage firms that are exceptionally hard to get money out of. Check foreign exchange or binary options scams out.

This is categorically not the same, but making false claims like this can mislead people into bad decisions. Moreover, it's not even remotely believable. 'Results' needs to understand that people will see through daft claims in an instant, and that will have repercussions for him later on. His story does not even remotely stack up.
    That's fair enough, but he didn't explicitly say which websites to look at for more information; merely that the Internet has a wealth of information regarding how the stock market works (and quite frankly, I'd be disappointed if it didn't). Though like you've said, this isn't categorically the same.

Edit: And I won't lie. When someone tries to feed you some BS, it's fun to take apart their arguments in turn. Just like 'Results' needing former CEOs, COOs etc all as mentors for very short-term trading in what he openly admits is a 50-50, black or red, pure punt trading exercise, which is obviously a load of pish. And of course, he happens to show an old screenshot of over 20 trades, none of which are losses, and many of which are tiny, tiny profits. So his 'proof' doesn't even match his fake or at least, exaggerated, rhetoric.
    Good enough justification, I'll rescind my previous comment for now. However, short of posting his entire trading earnings over the past given time span, how much proof (or rather, what proof) are you going to need?

(Original post by sound of silence)
    It's everyone's "business" when someone makes an interesting claim on a public forum, thus inviting commentary.

More to the point, if this topic doesn't interest you, what on earth are you doing here?
    I never said that this topic doesn't interest me, I said that I don't care whether he's lying or not. Interesting that you would call me a simpleton yet your comprehensive reading skills leave a bit to be desired.

Equally fascinating are simpletons like yourself who must assume that every single action or behaviour is due to "jealousy" or "insecurity". People genuinely interested in trading will find this claim interesting. It is no different in the poker community - people make threads every single day on the 2+2 forums with outlandish claims that either a) get falsified or b) get verified and people follow their journey or learn something new or are motivated themselves that it is possible. Don't be so cynical about people's intentions just because one person in this thread decided to troll. The only thing excessive is you writing three paragraphs to white knight someone for the sake of your own self-righteousness.
    And were you not cynical about his earnings? Expecting them to be falsified is one thing, but if you really wanted to learn something new or motivate yourself, wouldn't you have simply inquired about how he came to achieve such wealth instead of stating "doesn't prove anything"?

My self-righteousness is neither here nor there: I'm just bored
    Plus I do love it when people are so adamant that someone is ********ting them, and then see their reactions when it turns out that they're not being deceived. I'm an observer to this masquerade, I have no interest in the outcome bar seeing how people react to it. That being said, I stand by my comment about it being a witch-hunt; one person (Axion) was doing well enough in the arena, so why you and Samantha decided to gang up is beyond me. And I do like rooting for an underdog.

Personally I hope he's not lying, just to see what you'll say. But overall my investment in this is one purely of curiosity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kira Yagami)
    I was curious about how the stock market works and could you please explain in detail, giving some examples and definitions of key words (e.g. what a stock/share is and how one person can buy shares/how can we find out the prices of a share of a company etc...). Thanks!
    The main thing you have to know is that the market, for instance the oil market (there are thousands of others btw) is made up of buyers and sellers. When there are more people buying than there are people selling, the buyers have to start offering more money to be able to purchase, which then raises the current "market price" of that "instrument"... an instrument can be stock shares, like a share of Apple, or a commodity derivative, like oil shares or wheat, coffee and things that are are regularly purchased worldwide. Instruments can get very confusing so I wont go into them right now.

Like I mentioned before, the price of an instrument goes up when people want to buy and likewise the price goes down when the sellers out-number the buyers. This change in price creates what's called an "arbitrage" where many individuals and financial institutions can make money by buying and selling at the right time.

Also, there are many reasons and ways in which a person like you could get involved in the stock market. You could use it for investment for savings, remember how I mentioned company shares like Apple? you can purchase them for $109.83 right now and every quarter (of a year) they pay "dividends" which is like an insurance payment from a savings account, and the price of the share may rise in the future so it's a common long-term investment for wealthy individuals.

There is also a more short-term way of making money in the stock market which is known as "day trading" which is where trading firms make strategic buys and sells multiple times in a day, the percentage profit isn't very big but they regularly trade with hundreds of millions of pounds so they get millions in profits everyday. One last point I should mention is that there are ways to make money even without the help of a trading firm which is known as trading "leveraged positions" and the most common is a "Contract for Difference" or CFD which is a double-edged sword on your profits and losses. Basically you don't invest anything upfront, but you agree to either buy or sell the instrument at a future date, therefore you will have to pay the difference at some point, if the price has moved in a direction that is more than what you bought it for (or less than what you "shorted"** it for) then the difference between that price and the "closing price" will be your profit, and obviously if the price moves in the wrong direction you will lose money when you close the position... sometimes your position will be closed for you if you don't have enough "equity" in your portfolio to make the closing price, this is known as a "margin call" also a the name of a good film, I recommend you check it out.

Edit: shorting is the act of selling something you don't even have, basically someone "lends" you a bunch of instruments for like half a second, then you sell them for what they are worth, now you have the money but you owe some stranger in the market a bunch of instruments, the stock market ensures that you can't just spend that money without giving back the instruments you borrowed so you have to buy at a future date. kinda confusing but a lot if things are in the financial industry.

ReputationRep:
    That's fair enough, but he didn't explicitly say which websites to look at for more information; merely that the Internet has a wealth of information regarding how the stock market works (and quite frankly, I'd be disappointed if it didn't). Though like you've said, this isn't categorically the same.

Good enough justification, I'll rescind my previous comment for now. However, short of posting his entire trading earnings over the past given time span, how much proof (or rather, what proof) are you going to need?

I never said that this topic doesn't interest me, I said that I don't care whether he's lying or not. Interesting that you would call me a simpleton yet your comprehensive reading skills leave a bit to be desired.

And were you not cynical about his earnings? Expecting them to be falsified is one thing, but if you really wanted to learn something new or motivate yourself, wouldn't you have simply inquired about how he came to achieve such wealth instead of stating "doesn't prove anything"?

Plus I do love it when people are so adamant that someone is ********ting them, and then see their reactions when it turns out that they're not being deceived. I'm an observer to this masquerade, I have no interest in the outcome bar seeing how people react to it. That being said, I stand by my comment about it being a witch-hunt; one person (Axion) was doing well enough in the arena, so why you and Samantha decided to gang up is beyond me. And I do like rooting for an underdog.

Personally I hope he's not lying, just to see what you'll say. But overall my investment in this is one purely of curiosity.
    Very reasonable reply. Sadly there is very little Results can do to prove his claim. It would literally be one of the single biggest trading feats in the moder history of trading. To go from £400 in pure 50:50 punts, to £55,000 in 10 months, over what his image purports is clearly going to be hundreds of trades. Sadly these sorts of stories are all too common. This was the most stupid one I've ever heard of:
    https://www.theguardian.com/business...inancial-media

Have a read if you want a laugh

ReputationRep:
    I didn't refer to the topic, I referred to this claim. "Here" being you butting in the conversation that you allegedly don't care about and subsequently writing essays about it.

No, I wasn't cynical about his earnings, I was skeptical given his claim was £55k and he showed an £8k screen grab with small withdrawals/deposits. If I don't know whether his claim is true or not, why would I ask about his methods? If someone told you they had a pink unicorn in their pocket, would you not ask to see the proof before asking from where they got it?

Ah, the old passive-aggressive smilie - I see TSR hasn't changed!

I'm not adamant in the slightest - I've made one single post for crying out loud. Why are you getting so excited and worked up? A "masquerade"; "witch hunt"; "arena"; "gang up"? You need to clam down. I already said Samantha appears to be a troll. It's quite funny how hysterical you sound; I'm actually starting to wonder whether this is a subtle troll, which if it is, touche, Poe's Law has struck again.

As is everyone else's.

ReputationRep:
    I've been trading on the London & US stock markets for quite a few years and generally make quite a bit more profit then I could by leaving cash in the bank.

But sometimes it goes wrong - e.g. buying BP at £6 per share and a few weeks later they blew up an oil rig... shortly after the shares were worth just over £3 each. Ouch.

The only way to be reasonably sure that £400 was turned into £55k would be to see the complete list of each contract notes. The personal information such as name etc. should be removed, leaving just for each contact note:

Stock VOD.L
    Quantity 1381
    Price 217.0880 pence
    Trade consideration £2997.99
    Bargain Date 26/10/2015
    I didn't do well with this trade, they are currently at about 206 pence

Anyone who trades keeps all of their contract notes for tax reasons so they are able to calculate capital gains tax.

T3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trident3)
    I've been trading on the London & US stock markets for quite a few years and generally make quite a bit more profit then I could by leaving cash in the bank.

But sometimes it goes wrong - e.g. buying BP at £6 per share and a few weeks later they blew up an oil rig... shortly after the shares were worth just over £3 each. Ouch.

The only way to be reasonably sure that £400 was turned into £55k would be to see the complete list of each contract notes. The personal information such as name etc. should be removed, leaving just for each contact note:

Stock VOD.L
    Quantity 1381
    Price 217.0880 pence
    Trade consideration £2997.99
    Bargain Date 26/10/2015
    I didn't do well with this trade, they are currently at about 206 pence

Anyone who trades keeps all of their contract notes for tax reasons so they are able to calculate capital gains tax.

T3
    The smell test alone is enough to mean that £400 -> £55k is a falsehood. There is a probability of 0 that he achieved this, regardless of being in the 11 months suggested.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Axion)
    The smell test alone is enough to mean that £400 -> £55k is a falsehood. There is a probability of 0 that he achieved this, regardless of being in the 11 months suggested.
    Oh definitely. But when people start quoting impossibly smelly numbers at me, i demand proof.... it happens at work all the time especially when I'm dealing with folks in marketing

Perhaps the poster meant that in 11 months he converted £400 into 55,000 Vietnamese Dong? Which would be worth about £1.95

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trident3)
    Oh definitely. But when people start quoting impossibly smelly numbers at me, i demand proof.... it happens at work all the time especially when I'm dealing with folks in marketing

Perhaps the poster meant that in 11 months he converted £400 into 55,000 Vietnamese Dong? Which would be worth about £1.95
    Lol. I've asked for proof. Despite initially saying he'd defend himself, he's decided to ignore the thread despite being online many times!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.