The Student Room Group

To those of you who speak two languages. What language is your inner monologue in?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
English because out of the 2 languages, it's the one I speak the most often
Original post by Sara_t
English because out of the 2 languages, it's the one I speak the most often

What is your other language, can you think in your other language?
+++++
I speak English and Urdu. My internal monologue is in both languages, some parts of the sentence in Urdu and some in English
Original post by theuglymeme
I speak English and Urdu. My internal monologue is in both languages, some parts of the sentence in Urdu and some in English

So you can think in Urdu?
Original post by michaeldeport
So you can think in Urdu?

yes but its mixed with english too
Reply 46
What is your other language, can you think in your other language?

I can think in my other language yeah, but I feel weird when I do because I'm speaking in english all day so it'd be natural for me to think in english too, it's the main language i've been raised speaking in.
Original post by Sara_t
I can think in my other language yeah, but I feel weird when I do because I'm speaking in english all day so it'd be natural for me to think in english too, it's the main language i've been raised speaking in.

What is your other language?
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
It depends. In England it was usually English and in my country of ethnic origin I usually think in that language.

However, for the past few years I've been making a conscious effort to think in the foreign language even when I'm in England and so now most of my internal monologue isn't in English.

Oh wow. What is your country of ethnic origin? So that means you can think in 2 languages?
[QUOTE="DD2508;68264148"]
What age did you learn Hindi?[/QUOTE
I've always known hindi. Its my mother tongue. I actually only started to learn English when i started school since i lived in india. I didn't even speak it much before but ever since i moved to the UK I've become used to it

Can you think in any other languages?
both my native language and English combine, where sometimes I just switch mid-sentence without really noticing it.
Reply 51
What age did you learn Hindi?

I've always known hindi. Its my mother tongue. I actually only started to learn English when i started school since i lived in india. I didn't even speak it much before but ever since i moved to the UK I've become used to it
Original post by frostyy
both my native language and English combine, where sometimes I just switch mid-sentence without really noticing it.

What is your native languages?
What is your native languages?

polish
Original post by frostyy
polish

i) Can you think in Polish?
ii) Can you think in English?
iii) Can you think in any other languages (other than Polish and English)?
+++++++
+++++
+++++
+++++
But then do you speak another language?

Yeah, I speak Urdu when I need to and I can sort of understand/speak a bit Arabic

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending