Turn on thread page Beta

Boyfriend wants to meet up with a girl he met on twitter...help! watch

ReputationRep:
    And I wouldn't suggest that because of this that you then go ahead and start trying to make some guy friends to make him jealous. Because that is quite immature, but honesty here is key so just talk to him and that way your relationship becomes stronger as you build trust. If he is not up for listening or caring about your feelings, then it's honestly time to let go.
    I have typed a lot but I just hope this helps. Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Cherish03)
    Hopefully, you read this.

He was essentially asking permission to go out on a date, but tbh it seems like he already made plans to do so and just wondering what you think out of respect for you and he might feel guilty if he kept it from you. Without a doubt, he likes you and possibly sees a future with you (although, maybe he is losing interest in you especially since its been over 2 years idk), but he is interested in getting to know this new girl as they have common interests. They have been communicating for a while now and he WANTS to see her. She could be interesting, funny, smart, attractive etc and honestly, there could be some sort of attraction there. Idk your bf or how that date would go, but I don't think he would cheat on you tbh. BUT a seed of thought of "what if?" (like what if she is the one for example) could be planted in his mind, making him think about her a lot. So definitely, you have every right to feel uncomfortable about this situation and the fact that your instincts is telling you that something is off, then you're going to have to let him know. I mean, he is basically going on a date with another girl to go and watch a movie he has ALREADY seen with you, his girlfriend, wtf?? Like did he miss parts of the movie when he watched it with you or what? That part irritated me. If he pays for her ticket too, that would definitely be a date. And what if they get hungry - next stop Nando's - they joke around, flirt a little then boom! He likes her. I feel weird about it and I would tell him that I don't want him to go, but that's just me and it can sound like I'm controlling him but if it was the other way round I guarantee you that he would get jealous. Does the girl know he has a gf? If so I think he should introduce you both and you all become friends, idk let him give her your snapchat or something since its LDR. Idk what her motive is, so that would irritate me a little as well. The thing is and what I know you're afraid of, is that the slightest spark of interest ignited in him for her, could potentially make him end your long lasting 2 year relationship - and its all because of a girl he met on Twitter smh. I would hate that and I know you trust him, or you want to show that you do and also show that your not controlling, but don't be naive. Don't go ahead believing that because he has been with you for 2 years that he would not want to be with someone else. He can end the relationship for someone he finds himself really attracted to and has a connection with (and sees a lot more often in person as he probably would see her again). But Idk him so I can't say with a certainty what he would or wouldn't do. However, I would suggest that you communicate what you think about him going to meet this girl and how it makes YOU feel. One thing your bf should want is to not make you feel uncomfortable in any way, so he should prioritise you more than the girl and care about your opinion on the matter a lot more. Besides, there are other people he could be friends with, what's so special about this girl?
    Ikr, travelling to see this girl to watch a film together that he's already seen, like he obviously wants to get to know her. It does feel like a date and that's what's upsetting me - I just keep imagining little awkward romantic moments they might have which honestly makes me feel a bit sick.

I have no idea whether this girl knows that he has a gf. They snapchat eachother and I've been on his story a few times but I don't know if he's actually said anything about me to her. I'm guessing she must be aware??? If she was the one who asked him to meet up, it just makes it so inappropriate to do this, with the knowledge that he has a gf. I really don't understand why she would feel it was right to suggest this (if it was her)?

I think we'll be skyping tonight so I'll bring it up at some point, but we've already talked about it a lot and he knows I'm unhappy about it - at the moment he's not sure whether to go, but I think that's just because of my initial reaction. I know lots of people on here have said that I should just let him go and meet her, but I just can't shake the feeling that someone weird would happen between them. I hate to feel like I'm being controlling, but maybe I should put my foot down?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Would you feel the same if the person he was planning on meeting up with was male?

(Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Would you feel the same if the person he was planning on meeting up with was male?
    Probably not tbh. But he's a straight male, I'm going to feel more weird that he's meeting up with a girl than if he was meeting up with a boy.

ReputationRep:
    I personally wouldn't be happy with it, and I can completely understand how you feel. I would tell him nicely that I'm not comfortable with him going, for the reasons mentioned.

If he is serious about your relationship, he'll maybe not go, or he'll at least do his best to reassure you that there's nothing in this.

It's entirely normal; why does he need to go and see a film he's already seen with someone he's never met? It does have a sort of date vibe, the whole thing.

It's a girl you've never met, you know nothing about, and as you said, you're not even fully sure that she knows about you.

How can you be fully sure of her intentions?

I hope this works out, but if not, then I think you should find somebody better. Maybe there is even somebody much closer to home.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My boyfriend has a friend who he speaks to occasionally on twitter, and they share similar interests. He told me yesterday that they're planning on meeting up and going to see a film together (which I've already seen with him). He told me about this as if he was asking for permission...I'm not comfortable with it really but I can't tell him not to go. I don't know this girl and what her intentions are so it leaves me anxious.Am I right to feel weird about this? How do I approach the situation?
    You can't really do much in this situation. You will just have to wait and trust him not to do anything.

(Original post by daydream28)
    I personally wouldn't be happy with it, and I can completely understand how you feel. I would tell him nicely that I'm not comfortable with him going, for the reasons mentioned.

If he is serious about your relationship, he'll maybe not go, or he'll at least do his best to reassure you that there's nothing in this.

It's entirely normal; why does he need to go and see a film he's already seen with someone he's never met? It does have a sort of date vibe, the whole thing.

It's a girl you've never met, you know nothing about, and as you said, you're not even fully sure that she knows about you.

How can you be fully sure of her intentions?

I hope this works out, but if not, then I think you should find somebody better. Maybe there is even somebody much closer to home.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
    Yeah, I get date vibes too. Like let's say he didn't have a gf and was planning this with her, you'd definitely think it was a date! Also travelling for 2 hours to see a film that he saw with me last week just makes me feel even more weird. Why can't she go see it with someone else? Why does he have to come and see it with her? I really wish i knew lol

I feel like he's not going to go because of me and I can't help but feel guilty about it, almost as if I'm restricting him from making new friends. But at the same time, it feels so inappropriate that I would never be ok with it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I get date vibes too. Like let's say he didn't have a gf and was planning this with her, you'd definitely think it was a date! Also travelling for 2 hours to see a film that he saw with me last week just makes me feel even more weird. Why can't she go see it with someone else? Why does he have to come and see it with her? I really wish i knew lol

I feel like he's not going to go because of me and I can't help but feel guilty about it, almost as if I'm restricting him from making new friends. But at the same time, it feels so inappropriate that I would never be ok with it.
    oh wait, I must have missed that part. 2 hours?? Heck, I don't think many of my good friends would even travel 2 hours to see let, let alone someone i've met on Twitter!

I think the answer to that is that they're curious about each other. Obviously I can't say for sure,but there may be some attraction there. Maybe it's all innocent, but maybe he wants to see how it is with her in person, and then if they find themselves attracted to each other, well..

that doesn't mean to say he would want to cheat or break up with you, he may want to still have you as his girlfriend but have this friend too.

It ultimately boils down to whether you're happy with this continuing.

Let's imagine that they meet up, and he tells you about it, tells you there's nothing to worry about, etc.

Would you be ok with them continuing to talk/meet up in the future? Or would it always bother you?

I think if this scenario does happen, then it's best to let go. What if there's another girl from Twitter in the future?

I really hope from his part that he listens to and respects your feelings.

oh wait, I must have missed that part. 2 hours?? Heck, I don't think many of my good friends would even travel 2 hours to see let, let alone someone i've met on Twitter!

I think the answer to that is that they're curious about each other. Obviously I can't say for sure,but there may be some attraction there. Maybe it's all innocent, but maybe he wants to see how it is with her in person, and then if they find themselves attracted to each other, well..

that doesn't mean to say he would want to cheat or break up with you, he may want to still have you as his girlfriend but have this friend too.

It ultimately boils down to whether you're happy with this continuing.

Let's imagine that they meet up, and he tells you about it, tells you there's nothing to worry about, etc.

Would you be ok with them continuing to talk/meet up in the future? Or would it always bother you?

I think if this scenario does happen, then it's best to let go. What if there's another girl from Twitter in the future?

I really hope from his part that he listens to and respects your feelings.
    He's just said to me that he won't meet up with her next weekend but might see her at some point in the future. Don't know if this is better or worse??? He obviously still wants to meet her

ReputationRep:
    He's just said to me that he won't meet up with her next weekend but might see her at some point in the future. Don't know if this is better or worse??? He obviously still wants to meet her
    Is that because one/both of them can't meet anymore, or has he decided that it's best not to after all?

maybe just see how it pans out... if all seems well in your relationship otherwise, maybe there is nothing to worry about with this girl..

how long will your LDR be an LDR for? Or are you not sure at the moment?

Is that because one/both of them can't meet anymore, or has he decided that it's best not to after all?

maybe just see how it pans out... if all seems well in your relationship otherwise, maybe there is nothing to worry about with this girl..

how long will your LDR be an LDR for? Or are you not sure at the moment?
    He's not doing it because I said I didn't like the idea of it. We don't know when the LDR will stop being long distance, which is why I'm scared about him meeting another girl...I feel like he might start seeing a future with her instead of me

ReputationRep:
    What's not to understand? He's being overly friendly with a girl who probably lives closer to him and who he probably has more in common with. He's going to see if he has a chance with her and then dump you to be with her.
    This is not necessarily true, I meet up with girls I'm good friends with, who live closer to me than my girlfriend. Doesn't mean jack ****.

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one that doesn't see what the fuss is over this? It's his life, jeez. Seems like he's making a new friend, good for him. OP, shouldn't u be happy for him that he's found someone with similar interests that he might be able to bond with?

Seems to me that for lots of people, relationships just bring out their personal insecurity rather than a true desire for the happiness of another.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by chickenhelper)
    Girl you're so right to feel this way because in my opinion if i was dating someone and they actually could be bothered to go and meet up with some chick he met on twitter i would be upset like excuse me?! yo lazy ass gonna go out to meet a stranger
    Lol you're off your head.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I don't understand what the fuss is all about, it's his life - you ain't his mum. He can do whatever he likes, like wise you can do the same.
    Pretty sure that if the roles were reversed, everyone will call the guy out being possessive, a narcissist and a jealous individual
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Gnat)
    Am I the only one that doesn't see what the fuss is over this? It's his life, jeez. Seems like he's making a new friend, good for him. OP, shouldn't u be happy for him that he's found someone with similar interests that he might be able to bond with?

Seems to me that for lots of people, relationships just bring out their personal insecurity rather than a true desire for the happiness of another.
    Exactly!

ReputationRep:
    He will be balls deep in her before christmas..

gl

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend has a friend who he speaks to occasionally on twitter, and they share similar interests. He told me yesterday that they're planning on meeting up and going to see a film together (which I've already seen with him). He told me about this as if he was asking for permission...I'm not comfortable with it really but I can't tell him not to go. I don't know this girl and what her intentions are so it leaves me anxious.Am I right to feel weird about this? How do I approach the situation?
    Yes. Ignore people who say otherwise.

What are the common interests they share?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gnat)

Spoken like a chump sipping from the progressive cool aid who will be cucked many times like a foool

Listen up young virgins...

Common sense and relationship boundaries are important if you like your relationship
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by BigMan Ting)
    I don't understand what the fuss is all about, it's his life - you ain't his mum. He can do whatever he likes, like wise you can do the same.
    Pretty sure that if the roles were reversed, everyone will call the guy out being possessive, a narcissist and a jealous individual
    Indeed. It is possessive and controlling.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 29, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.