Turn on thread page Beta

Do you care about your parents? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Allie4)
    Well you weren't being specific in your original post (which you've now changed)
    So you've actually read threads where people have said 'I want to become financially independent and never see my parents again)?
    As some of the above posters have pointed out, everyone has their own reasons for wanting to do things. And just like will'o'wisp I will never ever turn my back on my mother but would gladly turn it on my 'father'. Why not, after all he turned his back on me... never saw the guy except when he needed to use us
    I haven't read threads, I've read posts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will'o'wisp)
    With my personality not really no, when i learned of what he did, i kinda expected it because of the bs he pulls all the time and just tells you to do it yourself, basically he expects me to **** off and do everything myself anyway when i'm not even 18 yet.
    What kind of father does that, that's just mean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darksideous)
    What kind of father does that, that's just mean.
    The dad i have -.-'

ReputationRep:
    It's all subjective. If your parents treated you well then I see no reason why you would want to stop contact with them when you become an adult. Financial independence is something everyone should want to attain because it's rational to not want to be dependent on another human being in any way.

However, if you didn't have a good relationship with them when you were younger or you feel they aren't good role models (for example when you have children yourself) then I completely understand not wanting to have contact with them. At the end of the day, no-one chooses to be born - parents decide that they want to have children and if they keep the child then it's their obligation to look after them, provide for them and do everything they can to make sure they have the best possible upbringing. If they fail to provide that and fail to love their children, then that's their issue and something they should always feel guilty for.

Leaving home does not in any way mean you are turning your back on your parents. Living with your parents for years longer than you need to isn't productive and it isn't helpful to you or them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will'o'wisp)
    The dad i have -.-'
    Rhetorical question but yeah, that sucks.

ReputationRep:
    My mum is my best friend lmao we do everything together

ReputationRep:
    I'd do anything for them.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't read threads, I've read posts.

Some of these threads where people want to become 'financially independent' and then abandon their parents is just sad.
    Hmm...

ReputationRep:
    Of course.
    My grandparents raised me and therefore I look at them as better parental figures than my mum and adoptive dad, however I'd always support them.

I'd do anything for my grandparents though, they shouldn't need to support me anymore so it's hardest abandonment

ReputationRep:

Hmm...
    'So you've actually read threads where people have said 'I want to become financially independent and never see my parents again)?'

My answer was to that specific title.

ReputationRep:
    'So you've actually read threads where people have said 'I want to become financially independent and never see my parents again)?'

My answer was to that specific title.

Some of these threads where people want to become 'financially independent' and then abandon their parents is just sad.
    hmm...

ReputationRep:
    I do but there's no reason I should.

ReputationRep:
    Love my mum to bits and pieces. Even if she doesn't do everything right or if everything she does isn't the right thing at the end of the day you only get one. And becoming financially independent is what they want of you, knowing they raised someone productive, and letting them age peacefully...

abandoning them of course is wrong but you can become independent, fly the nest and not abandon though

ReputationRep:
    of course

ReputationRep:

hmm...
    smh you just proved yourself wrong, this argument is getting us nowhere.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.