Turn on thread page Beta

Is my teacher too close to me? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm 17 and in my last year of high school (in Scotland so no A levels).

Feel like I should clarify he doesn't always act so close - he'll speak to me all day then blank me the next.

Speaking to my deputy tomorrow so we'll see how it goes..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by animeamanda1412)
    he can be her teacher and friend at the same time...
    as long as the relationship isnt romantic or anything, then whats wrong with that??
    He can be, but he shouldn't. It's inappropriate and the power dynamic in that relationship is always going to be way off. Say they had an argument about something - that would impact his professional life and the way they'd engage in the classroom.
    A teacher can be friendly but not a student's friend.

Although this particular friendship between student and teacher doesn't seem too weird at the moment, it's amazing how fast it can get to an inappropriate stage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bones-mccoy)
    He can be, but he shouldn't. It's inappropriate and the power dynamic in that relationship is always going to be way off. Say they had an argument about something - that would impact his professional life and the way they'd engage in the classroom.
    A teacher can be friendly but not a student's friend.

Although this particular friendship between student and teacher doesn't seem too weird at the moment, it's amazing how fast it can get to an inappropriate stage.

This did actually happen once - the argument bit I mean.

I told him that he was out of order in the patronising way he'd spoken to someone in the class and he thanked me for my concern but said the pupil was at fault etc etc. He seemed a bit pissed off then the next day blanked me completely. It took a few days for him to seem OK around me again.

It's weird though, when it's just me and him or out of class we're super close but in the other class he doesn't tend to speak to me much besides the inside jokes ****.

He usually asks me last to answer questions if he asks me at all. Other people have commented on this too.

ReputationRep:
    Do you fancy him?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Just because it's not sexual or anything, he still shouldn't be quite this close. There should be clear and professional boundaries between a teacher and a student, and he's crossing them. If the headteacher found out about this, it'd be stopped. That, and the fact you're questioning his motives, should be a bit of a red flag there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke7456)
    maybe this is me been autistic and maybe this is why its bad idea for me to go into teaching but I don't see whats so bad about this. I mean sure if he pursues you romantically or something like that happens thats a big no no. But whats wrong with a teacher been matey with a student?
    it's not okay as the teacher is in a position of power over the OP, this means a relationship between them will not be 'normal' or 'equal', it means OP could be influenced by their teachers views or beliefs, it means that if the teacher tried to progress the relationship to something sexual then they would already see the special attention as normal, it it seriously inappropriate for the teacher to be discussing their personal life/traumatic memories with a vulnerable student, how is the teacher supposed to deal with arguments/bad behaviour objectively is the OP is involved

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 8, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.