Turn on thread page Beta

Will you be wearing a poppy this year? watch

• View Poll Results: Will you wear a poppy this year?
    Yes
    52.05%
    No
    42.47%
    Maybe/Unsure
    5.48%

• Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Bought mine this morning

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    I do but it always falls off cos I can never stick it on properly
    (Original post by FireFreezer77)
    I'll avoid using a pin one for now.
    But ill probably have one on my desk at work to show respect
    I find a safety pin works wonders. I agree the normal pins can be a pain!

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I always do every year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    . I just despise the politicisation of it. So I will pay my respects in other ways and not be obnoxious about it. :yep:
    The only people who politicise it are those that do not wear it in protest (because they don't like Britain, the union, British history or whatever) and those who wear white ones - in other words, not the ones who wear it. It is a simple symbol of gratitude, respect and commemoration. We all have ancestors and relations whom we commemorate in this way.

So you are saying you despise the way you are behaving towards it. That is obnoxious.

(Original post by AperfectBalance)
    why not
    cba.

ReputationRep:
    It seems like wearing a poppy is gradually changing to a sort of jingoistic symbol.It is particularly sickening to see politicians wearing it.I get the feeling they only wear it so that they can look sad in front of the cameras.On remembrance day they will look sad but any other day they will sell arms to the saudis and support their war in yemen,or they will call for air strikes on the assad goverment,or they will send troops to supposedly deter russia.And those politicians miss the point.The point is that war should be a very last resort and certainly nobody should be encouraging it.

ReputationRep:
    I share wear a poppy to commemorate the opium trade which made Britain Great.

(Original post by Good bloke)
    The only people who politicise it are those that do not wear it in protest (because they don't like Britain, the union, British history or whatever) and those who wear white ones - in other words, not the ones who wear it. It is a simple symbol of gratitude, respect and commemoration. We all have ancestors and relations whom we commemorate in this way.

So you are saying you despise the way you are behaving towards it. That is obnoxious.
    ^ This is the type of dude/duddette I would wear a white poppy to annoy.

What if I want to commemorate my fellow British commies from WWI? Who made you gatekeeper of British history?

yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    ^ This is the type of dude/duddette I would wear a white poppy to annoy.

What if I want to commemorate my fellow British commies from WWI? Who made you gatekeeper of British history?
    You go right ahead. It doesn't annoy me. I merely said that you are the type of person that politicises the wearing of poppies. It was another use that despises this, not me.

ReputationRep:
    You go right ahead. It doesn't annoy me. I merely said that you are the type of person that politicises the wearing of poppies. It was another use that despises this, not me.
    https://www.bnp.org.uk/sites/default...hepoppy_a4.pdf

Yep. Defnitly not political.

The poppy is used politically all the time. Not just by those who don't wear it out of principle.

ReputationRep:
    https://www.bnp.org.uk/sites/default...hepoppy_a4.pdf

Yep. Defnitly not political.

The poppy is used politically all the time. Not just by those who don't wear it out of principle.
    Why do you think I believe it isn't politicised?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers

Ok.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tempest II)
    I find a safety pin works wonders. I agree the normal pins can be a pain!
    I dont have a problem with wearing them with the usual pin.
    Just other reasons why its better to avoid the pin for now
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    No. I don't think it's something that you need to parade around in public and the key conclusion that we should be taking from the war is that we should be doing everything possible to prevent anything like that happening again. But that's not what the proceeds are used for. And of course there's the fact that certain groups have exploited the symbol for nationalistic and political purposes, neither of which are aligned in the slightest with the message of preventing conflict.

ReputationRep:
    https://pastorfergus.wordpress.com/2...on-crawford-2/

ReputationRep:
    Why do you think I believe it isn't politicised?
    You said the only people who politicise it are the ones who refuse to wear it. I gave an example of people who wear it and politicise it.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    No because it has become a cult and politicised,

ReputationRep:
    You said the only people who politicise it are the ones who refuse to wear it. I gave an example of people who wear it and politicise it.
    I see. That link provides evidence that some people are angry that other people have burned poppies. I'm not convinced that the wearers themselves have politicised it. It was a reaction to this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-12664346

ReputationRep:
    Of course, for I am a good citizen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    I never wear a poppy. Back home, it's got a lot of connotations.

(If you know who the footballer James McClean is, I come from the same city as him, and I have the same reasons).
    Bloody Sunday?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.