Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshEntropy)
    I go to The University of Bradford. I really enjoy the BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science course here, it's very difficult but it's accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS) and approved by the Health and Care Professions Council, so it's a LOT easier to become a Registered Biomedical Scientist when you graduate.

I highly recommend that you only study BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science at a University that is IBMS Accredited if you are thinking of becoming a Biomedical Scientist.

List of Universities that Offer IBMS Accredited Biomedical Science Undergraduate Degrees:

The Robert Gordon University
    Bangor University
    University of Bedfordshire
    Queen’s University Belfast
    Aston University
    University of Bradford
    University of Brighton
    University of the West of England
    University of Abertay Dundee
    University of Essex
    Glasgow Caledonian University
    University of Strathclyde
    The University of Greenwich
    University of Hertfordshire
    University of Hull
    Keele University
    University of Kent at Canterbury
    Kingston University
    University of Lancaster
    De Montfort University
    Anglia Ruskin University
    Cardiff Metropolitan University
    University Chester
    Coventry University
    University of Lincoln
    Liverpool John Moores University
    University of East London
    London Metropolitan University
    Middlesex University
    Queen Mary, University of London
    University of Roehampton
    University of London, St George’s,
    University of Westminster
    Manchester Metropolitan
    Teesside University
    Northumbria University
    Nottingham Trent University
    Oxford Brookes University
    University of the West of Scotland
    University of Portsmouth
    University of Central Lancashire
    University of Plymouth
    University of Reading
    University of Salford
    Sheffield Hallam University
    Staffordshire University
    University of Sunderland
    University of Surrey
    York St. John University
    Ulster University
    University of Wolverhampton
    I am planning on applying to biomed @ bradford as a 5th back up choice. Is there alot of chemistry and maths in the course? Also why arent there any russel group unis in that list?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sayfi)
    I am planning on applying to biomed @ bradford as a 5th back up choice. Is there alot of chemistry and maths in the course? Also why arent there any russel group unis in that list?
    Because Russell Groups focus on academic/research rather than actually getting a job

ReputationRep:
    Because Russell Groups focus on academic/research rather than actually getting a job
    Oh lol... Is there alot of chemistry and maths in the course?

ReputationRep:
    No man biology's crazy run while you still can

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunshine774)
    Same!x Don't worry, we WILL do it!
    I hope so!! what do you want to do at uni and do you know which one yet? x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlotte458)
    I hope so!! what do you want to do at uni and do you know which one yet? x
    I really want to study economics, hopefully at the uni of cambridge! Wbu?x

ReputationRep:
    I really enjoy it personally. With any A Level, work load will increase - you won't avoid that. Also, the choices you make on these applications can be changed on results day very easily! So if you write something and later feel you don't wanna do that subject, it is fine.

ReputationRep:
    I really want to study economics, hopefully at the uni of cambridge! Wbu?x
    Wow Cambridge!!! I want to do history and I'm not really sure where yet but hopefully in a Russell group uni!!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm fine with it.The teacher isn't very helpful and i do all the hard work at home.I practically spend like 3- 4 hours at weekend trying to pick the all the work that we went through in the class. Im so tensed i wonder how ill do in the exam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlotte458)
    Wow Cambridge!!! I want to do history and I'm not really sure where yet but hopefully in a Russell group uni!!!
    History is a really good subject to study! Lol yeah I feel like cambridge is a bit far-fetched! Yeah I'm sure you'll get into a good uni; don't worry and best of luck!x

ReputationRep:
    I don't really get on with how my school teaches it but I do really enjoy it. It is a step up, the exam mark schemes are a tad specific and there's a lot to it. But it is different, fun and I enjoy being in a lab.

ReputationRep:
    History is a really good subject to study! Lol yeah I feel like cambridge is a bit far-fetched! Yeah I'm sure you'll get into a good uni; don't worry and best of luck!x
    Thank you, you too x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Waqar_)
    I would like to know aswell, I want to take Biology, Chemistry and Physics as my 3 A Levels because i'm only interested in Science, However people are saying that it will be to difficult, at GCSE i am an A/A* Student and want to know if this is a good idea or if i should just take Biology, Chemistry and something like History - which i also enjoy; when i'm older i want to get into a science related field like Biomedical science, healthcare or (preferably) medicine.
    I'm currently taking that combination (first year) and i love it! If you're good at maths physics is going to be very good to you (in my opinion it is the easiest). Chemistry is challenging but with enough revision I believe any one could keep up with it. Biology is the only one i'm currently struggling with simply because of the work load. I would say don't take physics is you don't like maths. Don't take chemistry if you don't do the research because a lot of is things you may have never heard of. Don't take biology if you know you're not a motivated person or you don't love the subject because its tough and requires the most revision and if you don't enjoy it you're going to hate the next 2 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sayfi)
    Oh lol... Is there alot of chemistry and maths in the course?
    Yes, the Institute of Biomedical Science requires people to have a solid knowledge of Chemistry and Maths. I would highly recommend that if you study an IBMS accredited degree that you ensure you understand biochemistry and laboratory mathematics.

This book has all the mathematics someone would need on a BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science accredited by the IBMS.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lab-Math-Me...words=Lab+math

ReputationRep:
    Could you please help me with this bio question?

Explain why flurescent microscopy has a better resolution than light microscopy? (2) - application question on the OCR textbook.

Here is what I think the answer is:
    Flurescent microscopy involves attaching flurescent tags to antibodies which attach to specific structures. Whereas light microscopy involves staining structures in a less specific way hence why is has a low resolution.

Or

Light microscopy has a low resolution due to the large wavelength of light and diffraction limit. Whereas flurescent microscopy has a greater resolution due to reflecting only light that follow the focal plane

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes, the Institute of Biomedical Science requires people to have a solid knowledge of Chemistry and Maths. I would highly recommend that if you study an IBMS accredited degree that you ensure you understand biochemistry and laboratory mathematics.

This book has all the mathematics someone would need on a BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science accredited by the IBMS.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lab-Math-Me...words=Lab+math
    thanks

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  2. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
  3. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.